TURKEY DAY

Shorter summer, earlier harvest. :)

I'm not sure if this is just a joke. I do not think that the length of the summer plays a role. The US Thanksgiving took place in early October until Lincoln shifted it to November.

Sorry, I forgot I was talking to robots.

Canadian Thanksgiving is entirely distinct from American Thanksgiving. It has a unique history, though many have adopted some American customs over the years.

But yes, we do have a shorter summer (on average) and an earlier harvest (on average). Thanksgiving in November in Canada would likely fall on a bleak, cold day. We do it when the weather is still nice enough to be outside for most of the weekend.

I'm not sure if this is just a joke. I do not think that the length of the summer plays a role. The US Thanksgiving took place in early October until Lincoln shifted it to November.

A very friendly statement. I just wrote that I'm not sure whether it the summer statement was a joke.

In a foreign language it even gets a touch more difficult to catch jokes (at least for many very human persons I know).

Canadian Thanksgiving is entirely distinct from American Thanksgiving.

Yes, I know.

European Thanksgiving where it exists is still another story.

(Erntedank in German speaking areas is of a different flavour, but it also takes place earlier than American Thanksgiving.)

But yes, we do have a shorter summer (on average) and an earlier harvest (on average). Thanksgiving in November in Canada would likely fall on a bleak, cold day. We do it when the weather is still nice enough to be outside for most of the weekend.

I just seriously wondered whether the shift of American thanksgiving from October to November in the nineteenth had any connection to the harvest, the weather etc, but I do not think so. But maybe someone more knowledgeable can provide information on this issue.

Edit: I just looked up more information about the Canadian thanksgiving and learnt (what I have not known before) that it had a date in (early) November in former times.

Edited by cezanne

I just seriously wondered whether the shift of American thanksgiving from October to November in the nineteenth had any connection to the harvest, the weather etc, but I do not think so. But maybe someone more knowledgeable can provide information on this issue.

My comment didn't mention the date shift. It mentioned one of the reasons for the earlier Canadian Thanksgiving, which is not at all related to American Thanksgiving.

My comment didn't mention the date shift. It mentioned one of the reasons for the earlier Canadian Thanksgiving, which is not at all related to American Thanksgiving.

I did not claim that you mentioned the date shift. My argument was that I'm not sure that the later harvest is a reason for the later date for the American Thanksgiving as they had an earlier date in former times (and by the way the Canadians had a later date in former times than nowadays).

Perhaps we can get back to the stated topic of wishing fellow geocachers a Happy Thanksgiving?

I can think of a few ways in which this holiday is special for geocachers:

1. New geocachers who have discovered the hobby in 2014 are, in many cases, making their first trip "back home" to visit friends and family since becoming geocachers. There are lots of conversations about cache adventures taking place at lots of dinner tables today. Parents, cousins and siblings are being persuaded to go on "just one cache hunt" to see what their brother, Geocacher George, has been doing with his spare time.

2. Geocachers traveling for Thanksgiving visits are jamming caches into their schedules amidst holiday feasts and Black Friday shopping trips. Score a new state or new counties on the way over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house! Pick off the puzzle caches you solved months ago, or the challenge caches you qualified for earlier in the year, but had to wait until now to seek, find and log during your hometown visit with family.

3. Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday are great days for hiding or finding geocaches out in the woods, as you're far more likely to have that busy park or trail all to yourself while everyone else is feasting and shopping.

However you choose to enjoy geocaching during this holiday week, be thankful for the technology, good health and cache hiders that make it all possible!

Canadian Thanksgiving is entirely distinct from American Thanksgiving. It has a unique history, though many have adopted some American customs over the years.

Ironically, the eastern US saw snow the day before Thanksgiving and have a bleak day today, weather-wise. :rolleyes:

Ironically, the eastern US saw snow the day before Thanksgiving and have a bleak day today, weather-wise. :rolleyes:

:santa:

A very friendly statement.

Well, on the bright side, at least she didn't stay in theme and called you a turkey :unsure:

But thanks to your little debate, it made me look up the history of Thanksgiving in the US. George Washington proclaimed the first official Thanksgiving to be on Thursday, Nov 26, 1789. It wasn't observed annually officially until Lincoln made it so.

Happy Thanksgiving to those who observe this holiday, and to those who don't, have a great day, and hope you have a great weekend.

And all this time I thought it was just an excuse for the Ti-Caaats to play the Argo's on a Monday afternoon, eh?

Oh, enough of that stuff. I found a TB Hotel early morning, and worked off my Thanksgiving dinner taking a 1/2 mile one way trip into the woods about 5:00 PM for a cache I decided to archive. Then I went directly to Target, and got an X-box. I hope all my fellow Americans had a happy Thanksgiving.

And all this time I thought it was just an excuse for the Ti-Caaats to play the Argo's on a Monday afternoon, eh?

Oh, enough of that stuff. I found a TB Hotel early morning, and worked off my Thanksgiving dinner taking a 1/2 mile one way trip into the woods about 5:00 PM for a cache I decided to archive. Then I went directly to Target, and got an X-box. I hope all my fellow Americans had a happy Thanksgiving.

In case you'd like to see our version of the Super Bowl, the CFL's Grey Cup game is being played on Sunday evening in Vancouver. And, yes, one of the teams is the Hamilton Tiger Cats (vs the Calgary Stampeders). Enjoy your long weekend.

In case you'd like to see our version of the Super Bowl, the CFL's Grey Cup game is being played on Sunday evening in Vancouver. And, yes, one of the teams is the Hamilton Tiger Cats (vs the Calgary Stampeders). Enjoy your long weekend.

OSKI WEE WEE!

OSKI WA WA!

By the way, I think it's OSKEE. :)

OSKI WEE WEE!

OSKI WA WA!

By the way, I think it's OSKEE. :)

Okay, I'll bite...

HOLY MACKINAW!

As for the spelling, the Ti-Cats version does seem to be "oskee", even though the original chant at UC Berkeley was the "Oski Yell".

FYI, in case you weren't aware, the former Pigskin Pete III passed away on September 10th after leading the "Oskee Wee Wee" chants at Ti-Cats games for 31 seasons.

We'd better get that last line in, before we get our collective wrists slapped. :laughing:

Yes, I was at the September 14th game, and there was a video tribute to the recently passed Pigskin Pete III. One grandstand was not yet fully operational. And it's definitely OSKEE, they put the words up on the scoreboard every time.

15715213217_af63077811_o.jpg

We'd better get that last line in, before we get our collective wrists slapped. :laughing:

Yeah, I guess we'd better.

Tigers ... Eat 'em RAW!!

Yes, I was at the September 14th game...

Really? I didn't think anyone actually went to Ti-Cats games. I mean, Toronto, sure, they're the centre of the universe, but Hamilton? :ph34r:

Just kidding. As a Leos fan, I couldn't pass up the chance. :laughing: The Lions will take it all this weekend in the... oh wait, darn... Go Stamps?

I hope everyone who celebrated Thanksgiving this week had a great day, and I wish you a fun and safe weekend, whether spent traveling, shopping, geocaching or otherwise. As for me, I "colored in a new county" with some cache finds on my way home today via a different route after visiting family.

As the holiday has passed, and the discussion has strayed off topic, I'm closing this thread.