Owning a Geocache

ericcurls

Hello. I was wondering if there was any ruling on this. I own a geochache. Is trading nic nacs from your own geocahce allowed. Example: I hide a geocache containg a log book, a Canada flag pin and 2$. Someone traded the 2$ and left a Tim Hortons key chain. Lets say I wanted that keychain. Because I own the cache am I able to take the keychain as long as I leave something elese behind?

Hello. I was wondering if there was any ruling on this. I own a geochache. Is trading nic nacs from your own geocahce allowed. Example: I hide a geocache containg a log book, a Canada flag pin and 2$. Someone traded the 2$ and left a Tim Hortons key chain. Lets say I wanted that keychain. Because I own the cache am I able to take the keychain as long as I leave something elese behind?

Sure.

Cover all bases, and log in with an Owner Maintenance when you visit too. :)

I don't think an OM log is really called for, unless maintenance is needed/done. I'd just write a Note.

Sure.

I don't think an OM log is really called for, unless maintenance is needed/done. I'd just write a Note.

The cache has a red wrench on it.

Sure.

The cache has a red wrench on it.

For good reason. The cache was originally hidden with very soft coordinates, and even after an update they're still 31 metres off.

@ericcurls: Just to make sure you're aware, the coordinates of your caches need to point as accurately as possible to the hiding spot. Your coordinates for GC6GCV3 Accountant Park are pointing onto private property, which could lead to unwanted encounters between cachers and the property owners. You need to update the coordinates to point to the cache, then also submit an Owner Maintenance log as mentioned by cerberus1 to state that you've dealt with any maintenance issues. It sounds like you have accuracy issues with some of your other caches too (based on the logs), so you might want to go back to them and try to improve the coordinates.

I have wondered that myself as I am preparing to hide my very first geocache of my own.

I always add new swag when I visit my caches.

Second what WarNinjas said: Leave it how you want others to find it. If I take my niece out geocaching she only likes the ones with trade items, so I make my caches the way I would like it to be when bringing a kid....I remove all boring or inappropriate items and put in fun little things. Signature items for the adults. (But so far all my caches are fun/easy ones.) Rarely do I find something interesting enough I want to keep it for myself but on the rare occasion I do then I take it and leave the cache full of other stuff (if its mine I always leave more than I take since things always decrease over time).