Would this work as an EOY HS project?

2005lj

I am a HS Geosystems teacher iso and end of year project related to our curriculum. I had thought that I might have me students create caches near the edge of campus (not on school property as I cant create something that brings people onto campus but perhaps just over the edge?) and then try to find each others creations. Here are my questions:

1. I see that new caches go through review. Is it a fast process? If 20 new ones suddenly pop up here would they be find-able anytime soon?

2. Is there any way to create a closed set of caches here on campus that only my students would use in the process of learning about geocaching?

I am a HS Geosystems teacher iso and end of year project related to our curriculum. I had thought that I might have me students create caches near the edge of campus (not on school property as I cant create something that brings people onto campus but perhaps just over the edge?) and then try to find each others creations. Here are my questions:

1. I see that new caches go through review. Is it a fast process? If 20 new ones suddenly pop up here would they be find-able anytime soon?

2. Is there any way to create a closed set of caches here on campus that only my students would use in the process of learning about geocaching?

1 - Around seven days if everything's okay.

2 - Not if you want caches to get published here.

Why not just mark locations with one of the averaging apps available, and having your project separate from this site?

I am a HS Geosystems teacher iso and end of year project related to our curriculum. I had thought that I might have me students create caches near the edge of campus

I think you could use the app to find the nearest cache to you school, then add the coordinates to your cache and set that as the target if you need to use the geocaching app.

Finding 20 locations that meet the proximity guideline (0.10mi) around a HS campus might be tough. Even if caches on right on the edge of the campus, you might have trouble getting the caches published.

Please consider the longevity of your student's caches. Caches should be placed with the intent that they are in the field for at least 90 days. Often I've seen classes at colleges or scouts place caches purely for the class or session, and then never pay attention to them again. If you believe your students will continue to participate in geocaching up to and beyond 90 days, then by all means encourage them to create accounts and place caches that conform to guidelines.

If this is just an educational exercise, then consider using a stand alone GPS app to learn how to navigate, and then students can continue geocaching if they have an interest.

FWIW, when I have introduced youth to geocaching, I have made a point of having them search for temporary caches that I placed just for the class, or of taking them on a hike in a park or open space well away from the local neighborhood. Even if I trust all the kids in my class, I don't necessarily trust their friends and classmates, who will hear about the "hidden treasure" in the neighborhood.

If you are supplying the devices for location, you can pre-load them with whatever caches you make up, regardless of where they are located, and use them as temporary caches, avoiding all need to interface with gc.com.

As for how long it takes gc.com reviewers, it varies from 1 day to 7. We get good service here (1~2 days).

Is there any way to create a closed set of caches here on campus that only my students would use in the process of learning about geocaching?

For temporary caches just for fun, students may use Google Maps and type coords from a printed page into the search box, in a format like N 33 33.333, W 84 44.444. They will be presented with a position pin on the map. Walk to that spot. Repeat.

If you'd like a compass with distance, try the Apps "GPS Status" for Android, and "Commander Compass" for iPhone. Either of those are handy for hiding caches.

Edited by kunarion

for you class only. Take you GPS out, hide a cache and get the cords. using Geocaching.com. build a cache page completely just don't summit it. Your cache will show in - Your Unpublished Disabled Caches. Open the page up for each cache. With out submitting it you can download the info to your GPS unit still even with out it published. To practice logging just open the page, You cant log the find on a unpublished but you can write a note. Then from there move on to publishing some and they can learn about cache maintenance and so on. Then Move on to other caches in your area. Take a field trip to a local area state park or something and go on a hike hunting down caches.