What happens after marked as Needs Maintenance

martellwebster

I marked a cache as "needs maintenance." A couple people after that marked it as found. I assume that means it won't get fixed up?

Should I go back, find the cache and mark it as needs maintenance again? There's no logbook and the container has issues. It's in an easy and popular spot and I imagine it's disappointing for some people to find it like that.

Another cache I found missing the owner was all over it and fixed it up right away, so that was great. Just would like to see something similar here. Maybe message the owner directly?

I marked a cache as "needs maintenance." A couple people after that marked it as found. I assume that means it won't get fixed up?

Should I go back, find the cache and mark it as needs maintenance again? There's no logbook and the container has issues. It's in an easy and popular spot and I imagine it's disappointing for some people to find it like that.

Another cache I found missing the owner was all over it and fixed it up right away, so that was great. Just would like to see something similar here. Maybe message the owner directly?

You've alerted the CO that there's an issue by filing a "Needs Maintenance" log - your job is done. Thanks for being a responsible player and caring about everyone else's experience.

It's now up to that CO to take action (or not) on his or her cache.

Unless there's a serious need, don't claim ownership of anyone else's problems.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

If after a reasonable length of time (say, a month) the situation isn't fixed, you can log a Needs Archived. That alerts the reviewer to the situation. In the note, state the facts: there is no log, what is wrong with the container, etc. and that the NM log from [date] has gone unacknowledged.

Chances are someone will come along and put a piece of paper in the cache and maybe tape up the container or replace it - doing the job the CO should be doing. :rolleyes:

If after a reasonable length of time (say, a month) the situation isn't fixed, you can log a Needs Archived. That alerts the reviewer to the situation. In the note, state the facts: there is no log, what is wrong with the container, etc. and that the NM log from [date] has gone unacknowledged.

TriciaG's advice is quite good, but the only thing I'd contest is suggesting that the OP, who filed the NM, also file the NA. Because other people are finding the cache and claiming finds, it's not obvious that it should be archived, so this is an excellent example where a second option would be the better way to proceed. In other words, the OP should just move on and forget about it and let someone else decide when to file the NA.

Quite often the reviewers are on top of things and will periodically run a sweep of caches in their area, looking for NM logs or caches that may have an issue (long string of DNFs on a low difficulty cache, etc.). Our reviewer will do so every few weeks and disable them, putting the COs on notice. Sadly, as is often the case, maybe half of these just end up getting archived...not sad because the cache isn't being maintained and thus is taken out of the game, but sad because COs all too often just "set it and forget it" and never respond or perform maintenance.

Related:

I was browsing through some logs on a cache page. Many had stated the cache was in bad shape. Then one person added a fresh log sheet and the following log said this:

TFTC... I would love to say we did this one quick and easy but really, that just didn't happen it took two trips to get the right numbers and two trips of searching with a gps that said I was 3 feet away in about 20 different locations... But really... It made the hunt that much more worthwhile when the cache was finally recovered!

There was a dry log and a rather damp and mucky everything else so we absconded with the cache and gave it some TLC back at the geomobile. We added another log and some awesome swag and used a generous amount of bags to try and keep everything nice and dry, even managed to put some swag in there that went with the theme.

We had a blast finding this cache and applying the needed TLC! Thanks for placing and maintaining!

Huh? Exactly WHO is doing the maintaining here?

Related:

I was browsing through some logs on a cache page. Many had stated the cache was in bad shape. Then one person added a fresh log sheet and the following log said this:

TFTC... I would love to say we did this one quick and easy but really, that just didn't happen it took two trips to get the right numbers and two trips of searching with a gps that said I was 3 feet away in about 20 different locations... But really... It made the hunt that much more worthwhile when the cache was finally recovered!

There was a dry log and a rather damp and mucky everything else so we absconded with the cache and gave it some TLC back at the geomobile. We added another log and some awesome swag and used a generous amount of bags to try and keep everything nice and dry, even managed to put some swag in there that went with the theme.

We had a blast finding this cache and applying the needed TLC! Thanks for placing and maintaining!

Ya, frustratingly see that to often. The visitor clearly does not care for the condition of the cache/absence of the owner. Frustratingly enabling the limping along of a abandoned cache.....and thanking THEMSELVES for doing the maintenance....If they had such a blast they should place their own caches and have such a blast maintaining IT (and its cache page) in good condition.

Related:

Ya, frustratingly see that to often. The visitor clearly does not care for the condition of the cache/absence of the owner. Frustratingly enabling the limping along of a abandoned cache.....and thanking THEMSELVES for doing the maintenance....If they had such a blast they should place their own caches and have such a blast maintaining IT (and its cache page) in good condition.

Exactly.

It's too bad so many people don't see the merit in responsible cache ownership.

I see "Thanks for placing and maintaining" messages a lot on throwdowns as well as the scenario above - impromptu limp-along maintenance on junk abandoned caches.

They know the owner isn't maintaining the cache, it's a piece of junk, yet they thank the CO. Happens a lot.

Seems odd. Like being invited to dinner, but the meal is a moldy meatloaf that's been sitting on a broken plate for a couple of months. So you go get some pizza, enough for a few dinner guests that might show up in the next couple of days, take it back to the house, and thank the host for inviting you to dinner and providing the pizza.

Related:

Exactly.

It's too bad so many people don't see the merit in responsible cache ownership.

I see "Thanks for placing and maintaining" messages a lot on throwdowns as well as the scenario above - impromptu limp-along maintenance on junk abandoned caches.

They know the owner isn't maintaining the cache, it's a piece of junk, yet they thank the CO. Happens a lot.

- snip -

Removed food from the conversation (it's lunch time). :laughing:

We have one who cut/pastes the same message on every cache "found".

Doesn't matter if it is maintained, he replaced it with another, or still sitting as a steamin' pile a carp.

Most show up after these people and have no idea (by that log...) what they're gonna see.

Or you could wait a while. If the owner does not perform maintenance, then you could log NA.

I found a multi about three months ago. The first stage is missing. The second stag is nailed to a tree. The final stage is a bear chew toy. The CO has eight finds and one hide and has not signed in on-line in five years. It's a very nice hike in a pretty area. But, it's dead.

I found a cache about 6 months ago where the logbook was soaking wet and didn't have accurate coordinates, it was only a few months old. I logged a Needs Maintenance (the third person to do so), but since then no maintenance has been done. 2 weeks ago I messaged the CO and offered to adopt the cache as they were doing nothing with it, had found nothing in over a year and hadn't logged on since just after they placed the cache. I have now logged a Needs Archived as they didn't respond.

Needs Maintenance 06/04/2016

Really over grown - didn't find it

Found a cache today with that log on-line. So, not all NMs go anywhere.

Hmmm.

I hope this is your point, but what exactly is being reported and asked for?

That the bush grew, and the CO should come out and trim it?

I guess my point was that not all NA or NM have any meaning. That cache was actually a fairly easy find. I guess the cacher didn't think that reaching under a conifer tree qualified as findable. I once got an NA on one of my caches because it was an MKH, and only had a little piece of paper in it! I changed it to Members Only.

Needs Maintenance 06/04/2016

Really over grown - didn't find it

Found a cache today with that log on-line. So, not all NMs go anywhere.

Hmmm.

I hope this is your point, but what exactly is being reported and asked for?

That the bush grew, and the CO should come out and trim it?

I guess my point was that not all NA or NM have any meaning. That cache was actually a fairly easy find. I guess the cacher didn't think that reaching under a conifer tree qualified as findable. I once got an NA on one of my caches because it was an MKH, and only had a little piece of paper in it! I changed it to Members Only.

I have gotten many BS NM and NA logs on my caches....making them all PMO made about 95% go away.

Its amazing how many hate to log a plain old DNF.

I have gotten many BS NM and NA logs on my caches....making them all PMO made about 95% go away.

Its amazing how many hate to log a plain old DNF.

None of my caches are PMO and I never get false NM logs. 95% of visitors just DON'T log a NM when needed...I know of many PMO caches that are in terrible state and have been for months and yet not a single MN has been logged.

It's amazing how many people are afraid of a MN. Owner and visitor alike. It's irrational.

If it is a false MN just clear it after you have determined all is well with the cache.... making all caches PMO is really not helping attract new members or encouraging casual cachers (just makes the cache less visited, which I guess is fine for owners who never want to go out and do actual maintenance, lower visits will mean lower maintenance in general but from what I've seen PMO does nothing to improve the cache content, or quality, and maintenance need is usually determined by visitation and just general age... but thats a whole different topic.)