Logsheets

FriedSmashedPotatoes

Hello,

I am brand new to geocaching (literally - I had my first find yesterday). I looked into geocaching before getting started (I didn't just read about it once and run out the door). I lurked around the website and youtube for a little while so I could at least be mildly informed before heading out on geocaching adventures. While I do have a basic understanding of the game, safety and etiquette, something I was not prepared for was the tiny logsheets!

My first found cache was small and had a rolled up slip of paper inside (among other items). Now, I didn't expect to find a notebook in a small container but I didn't realize exactly how narrow the logsheet would be. When I signed it, I noticed the long name I selected would not fit properly and ended up spilling over to the next line. Immediately, I felt bad about this since I noticed everyone tried their best to only use one line and here I was - taking up space.

My question is, what is the best practice in this situation? Should I use my full username and try to keep it to as few lines as possible or is an abbreviation acceptable (maybe FSPotatoes or FSP - if absolutely needed)? Or I shorten my username so the physical logsheet and virtual log names always match 100% and I never have to worry about this again?

Should I use my full username and try to keep it to as few lines as possible or is an abbreviation acceptable (maybe FSPotatoes or FSP - if absolutely needed)? Or I shorten my username so the physical logsheet and virtual log names always match 100% and I never have to worry about this again?

You may sign it as you wish. If I can't fit my signature on a nano sheet, I sometimes sign "ku" and mention in the log that I did that. An abbreviation is fine.

I've heard about several cachers that changed their handles after signing their first few logs and realizing how annoying it was going to be to cram in the long name they thought was so cool. Those people often express grief over writing all that on every cache even when there's room. If you don't mind signing your full handle when there's enough space for it, then feel free to abbreviate. Some of those logs are really tiny, so it's quite common for people to use their initials even when their handles aren't very long.

Use your full name, and after your Found It! log also post a Needs Maintenance log, for a full log sheet. :laughing:

I thought I was the only geocacher that does that. :unsure:

+1 bad_boy_animated.gif

The OP's first find was a small size cache. Not a micro. It used to be, every small cache had a logbook, not a scroll. Not a sheet of paper. Then the micro craze became the norm and micro gameplay seeped in to larger caches. Logsheets printed with tiny spaces for people to initial or squeeze in their trail names starting showing up in small or larger caches. The first time I saw this I thought the logbook was missing. Then I unfolded the info sheet and found the "log"' on the reverse side. A table was printed on the back with about 200 numbered tiny cells. It was a slap in the face to me. The message was - ' I don't care about the log. I don't plan on maintaining this cache and I want this sheet of paper to suffice for the next year or two. You want to write something, don't bother, I'm not going to read it, I don't care. If I ever come back to this cache and replace the log I will toss it in the trash without looking at it.'

I'm guessing the owner of the small cache that the OP found could care less about the log and only put one in because they have too. They might even prefer that people don't sign it so it doesn't fill up.

Edited by L0ne.R

Initials should be fine. On tiny logs I'll often abbreviate by handle to IOE. My wife's handle is not as long as yours but still too long for a lot of logs and we abbreviate it to BSM but we always mention we were together so any CO would know that IOE + BSM is IOError and BobsMonkey. There is a guy around here CuteLittleFuzzyMonkey who signs all logs as CLFM and every one knows who it is so it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by IOError