Batteries for Oregon 700

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I was wondering whether I could power my Garmin Oregon 700 with 2 x lithium ion 14500 batteries?

The batteries are rated at 3.7v and around 600 mAh.

I use them in my AA battery powered LED torches to create a large amount of lumens, but I wondered if the Oregon 700 is rated for them. The manual is pretty vague.

Again sorry if stupid question.

Btw 14500 battery is equivalent in size to AA

Thanks.

G McC

NO.

Same size but more than double the voltage --> smoke

OP, some people search the internet for answers rather than asking and waiting. An admirable trait. Your simple answer wouldn't have helped those who follow.

Thanks for the advice, never thought of that!! do you know any search engines I could use??? 🙄

Also why would people need my answer when you've ordered them all to search the Internet for answers? Which btw is also an admirable trait, goes well with your sarcasm!

Never mind, I took care of it.

Adding information to the internet, bit by little bit...

BTW, in my past career as a software developer, a good part of my time was spent googling the web for answers to tricky technical problems I needed to solve. If I ran across a problem, odds were good I wasn't the first such person, and that somewhere people had already found and discussed a solution. Just needed to find that solution, and even with time spent googling, it was much more efficient than asking and waiting.

So I appreciate findable answers.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

NO.

Same size but more than double the voltage --> smoke

OP, some people search the internet for answers rather than asking and waiting. An admirable trait. Your simple answer wouldn't have helped those who follow.

Thanks for the advice, never thought of that!! do you know any search engines I could use??? 🙄

Also why would people need my answer when you've ordered them all to search the Internet for answers? Which btw is also an admirable trait, goes well with your sarcasm!

It's not uncommon when searching Google for these forums to pop up in the search results. Therefore, any helpful answers to what might be an obscure question posted here will help others find the answer before repeating that question here in the forums.

Therefore, any helpful answers to what might be an obscure question posted here will help others find the answer before repeating that question here in the forums.

"Garmin Communicator" is all you need to know people don't look for answers via their favorite search engine. There are 100's of threads asking why "send to GPS" isn't working. :ph34r:

BTW I do exactly what Viajero Perdido does, do a search and chances are an answer for a problem is found within seconds.

Hmm yeah. Even adjusting for the voltage difference, 600 doesn't give you the wattage you'd get from a modern AA NiMH cell, does it?

BTW, it just occurred to me, there are three kinds of people: askers, answer people, and researchers. Currently (here and on a travel forum) I'm an answer person, also a researcher. At work I've been a researcher, feeding off leftovers from the answer persons. A scavenger, you might say. An interesting ecosystem.