Age?

Im fairly new to geocaching so this may seem a bit airheaded. Im 21 and Been looking around and just curious to the age demographic of geocaching. Ive seen pictures of people geocaching and its seems that it mostly comprises of older folks(putting it in loosley) in my area. Im pretty sure that it is changing dramatically due to the fact that people can use a smartphone to geocache. Dont get me wrong i get along with everybody, but it is just something i have been thinking about recently.

Well, I'm 9 years older than I was when I started geocaching...

I would expect that the people who do a LOT of geocaching tend to be older, just because they would also tend to be retired. Those of us who aren't retired yet still have to work for a living, and have less time for geocaching.

I know some younger geocachers. Sometimes they drop out of geocaching for a while when they go off to college. Sometimes they don't, but then they're geocaching near their college campuses, not around here.

I started caching when I was 28 (33 now) and I am definitely younger than average, at least in Florida. Here it seems the demographic is retirees most often, followed by middle-aged folks usually with children, and 20s/30s adults are definitely still in the minority geo-demographic although that number is growing, probably in part due to smartphones app awareness.

It may be hard to say accurately as I think the younger geocachers are more likely to be casual geocachers finding small numbers of caches and not attending events whereas the older cachers seem more likely to be active in the geo-community (go to events, post on the forums here or in local geocaching Facebook groups).

Edited by Joshism

Yup, mostly old farts around here. A few middle-aged, very few your age, and those few that are generally don't stick around long. They go off to college, have families, get jobs that keep them too busy, etc. But please don't let that stop you! Get out there and hide some tree-climbing caches for us!

• Upvote 1

Im fairly new to geocaching so this may seem a bit airheaded. Im 21 and Been looking around and just curious to the age demographic of geocaching. Ive seen pictures of people geocaching and its seems that it mostly comprises of older folks(putting it in loosley) in my area. Im pretty sure that it is changing dramatically due to the fact that people can use a smartphone to geocache. Dont get me wrong i get along with everybody, but it is just something i have been thinking about recently.

Get out....get out now....hahahaha.

Seriously though, it is an older bunch, MOSTLY. Attending many events large and small the simple fact is that the crowd tends to be 40+ crowd. It was younger back in the day, but has gravitated up as those same folks hung around. The retirees and RVers have also jumped on the bandwagon.

Smart phones haven't helped the younger folks move in. It just isn't "cool". I kinda think of geocaching in the same circles as ham radio. Can be fun and such, but it just has a stigma.

There are young folks that do it, but lets face it, it is way more fun to go out drinking and socializing than spend countless hours on a computer and in a car (that is what 80% of geocaching is....really). It is funny though when you do find a younger person into geocaching, it usually comes in different circles (I've run into the younger ones at an instragram meet, pub crawl bike ride, weekend market, etc.).

But regardless of age, enjoy the game as you see fit.

Im pretty sure that it is changing dramatically due to the fact that people can use a smartphone to geocache.

So are you implying that older people cant use a smartphone, or that younger people can't use a GPS?

(Posted from my iPhone, BTW...)

Regarding 'older people': I don't know if it's a matter of "can't" or "don't want to". And most any research study or survey you find will show that smartphone penetration is lower in the higher age groups. Studies have different percentages, but directionally the trends are the same.

A few examples:

• Pew Research Center (2014) -- 83% of those 18-29 use smartphones, 74% for 30-49, 49% for 50-64, 19% for age 65+
  • Nielsen (2014) -- 85% of those 18-34 use smartphones, 81% for 35-44, 71% for 45-54, 51% for 55-64, 46% for age 65+
  • Deloitte (2014) -- 71% of those 18-54 use smartphones, 37% for age 55+

Edited by noncentric

I'm thirty and aside from geokids, I have been one of only maybe three people under fifty at almost every event I've gone to, both here in Missouri and back where I used to live in Pennsylvania. My first event was a meet and greet at a Tim Horton's, and I remember going and feeling so bad for this couple who looked to be in their eighties, surrounded by all these crazy geocachers, thinking that they probably came for a quiet cup of coffee and had no idea there was going to be a loud gathering here. I came to find out that they had over ten thousand finds, had cached in every state in America, and sure didn't mind telling a noob like me some of their best stories! But yea, it seems to me that that majority of geocachers I meet are part of the older generation.

I'm 31. I started caching in 2005 when I was 21. I kind of put the hobby on hold for quite a few years (which I now regret). I'm still typically one of the younger ones at events, though. Other than my wife and daughter (she's 20 months), the other two guys I regularly cache with are in their mid to late 20s.

I am 16. I started when I was 13 when I got a GPS as an early 14th birthday present. I do tend to drag my family around with me since I can't drive yet and I live out in the country where there is little public transport.

I know another cacher around here (the only other cacher for a good 8 miles) who is 17/18 but apart from that, the rest of the cachers are generally in there 40s, 50s and 60s and I'm pretty sure one or two are nearing their 70s.

"Older people" grew up playing outside. Younger people grew up indoors playing on computers, video games, Wii, Gameboy, Nintendo, whatever. So old people like being outdoors. Lol

There does seem to be a lot of truth to this. I'm glad I grew up at a time when I would play all day, outside with neighbors, and only come back in when the streetlights came on. When my parents wouldn't be in trouble for just letting me walk to the park alone.

I am 67.

"Older people" grew up playing outside. Younger people grew up indoors playing on computers, video games, Wii, Gameboy, Nintendo, whatever. So old people like being outdoors. Lol

There does seem to be a lot of truth to this. I'm glad I grew up at a time when I would play all day, outside with neighbors, and only come back in when the streetlights came on. When my parents wouldn't be in trouble for just letting me walk to the park alone.

I am 67.

We had to come in when the lamplighters lit the street lamps :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I am 24 years old and I am completely hooked. Here in the Houston area, it definitely consists of "older" folks- hell I think I might be the only 20-something year old around here! (I know it isn't true, but it sure feels like it)

Don't get discouraged. I am currently going "hardcore" and going for a cache (or more) a day for a year. Barely at 46 days I believe.. long way to go. But determined.

We had to come in when the lamplighters lit the street lamps :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Oh... so you had fire then, eh? Lucky.... B)

Oh... so, you had language then, eh? B)

And it was so tiring to do a lot of caches in one day when having to carve a name into those heavy, stone tablet logs.

Hey those stone mallets were heavy and remember it was uphill both ways

And it was so tiring to do a lot of caches in one day when having to carve a name into those heavy, stone tablet logs.
You had mallets?! :shocked:

44, SWM, no drugs, diseases or drama, enjoys romantic powertrails on the beach and letterbox-hybrids in the mountains.

I hope that at least gets you a date or two. :D

I would date him ... oh wait, I'm married.

you can move can move to Utah then it'd be legit.... Just saying... LOL

No they had to just use stones.. They were still working on figuring out the wheel.

32 now, started in early 20's.

we tied rocks to big sticks, and we were still trying to make round wheels

the square ones just didn't roll that well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by vagabond

Age 60, use iPhone and Garmin, but lately iPhone more when searching the side of the road and Garmin when we are on the trails or in the woods. Soon-to-be-retired, then nothing will stop us. In our area, there are all ages involved but the predominant demographic is 45 - 65. That being said, we were introduced to geocaching 8 years ago by our then 17 y.o. son and his friend.

I am 61, and have been geocaching since 2009. My wife and I find the most caches when we go on vacation, which for retired people is often. However, both my married sons geocache sporatically and wish they had time for more, and my 35 year old cousin is in the same situation. I think that tells you that geocaching is for everyone, but maybe the older ones have time to go to the events. What is great about this game is it works for every age group and works for every country. I recently noticed that Slovakia has more geocaches per mile than most of Canada (I have a TB floating around there). What a great game! And there is often something for everyone, such as hikes into the country vs drive up caches, or puzzles, or earthcaches, or TB hotels, and so on. This game can attract a wide variety of interests.

30 here, i started about 2 months ago because we (my girl and I) were having a hard time amusing ourselfs on a boring sunday afternoon. I had heard of geocaching, read about it somewhere, so I knew it had to do something with treasures and such. She likes to walk, yes just walk around the block or in woods without any purpose. I hate to walk or cycle without any purpose, so I thought 1+1=?

We started doing our first cache, a mystery and of course failed, then we started our first multi and failed. Basically I just started without any preperations and didn't knew about the types of caches at all and how to get to the cache. So after both failures I was forced to read a beginners manual. So at that point I discovered the Geoside of life. Finding the first cache, because i finally knew what i was doing, was great. After that it went quite flowless, until now at least.

So why do I play the game?

- Keeping my girl happy

- Killing boring sunday afternoons

- The feeling when you finally find that stupid plastic/iron container

Edited by Roelwin

I am 23, started a couple of years ago.

We started in August 2001. I will be 90, April 23rd. The XYL (wife) is 89 and has severe memory loss. We just did a pwr trail in Mountain Home, Idaho. Our goal in geocaching is to get 10,000 before we kick the bucket. We now have 9,927, so I think we can reach that magic number soon. Dick & Arlene Bremerton, WA

We started in August 2001. I will be 90, April 23rd. The XYL (wife) is 89 and has severe memory loss. We just did a pwr trail in Mountain Home, Idaho. Our goal in geocaching is to get 10,000 before we kick the bucket. We now have 9,927, so I think we can reach that magic number soon. Dick & Arlene Bremerton, WA

Impressive, I'll quit GC as well when I reach the 10.000 :rolleyes:

Hey NOWWWWWWWW ... don't quit at 10K.

after 10,000 set 10,001 as your next milestone and on into the future one at a time.

GEO-HUGGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ to you and the Mrs.

73's to you both.

Dave KF6YQR

Edited by humboldt flier

Hey NOWWWWWWWW ... don't quit at 10K.

after 10,000 set 10,001 as your next milestone and on into the future one at a time.

GEO-HUGGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ to you and the Mrs.

73's to you both.

Dave KF6YQR

Thank you Dave. We will probably keep on Geocaching as it is about the only thing we can do except ham radio and I have downsized that. I got my ham license W9ZKU right after getting out of the Navy in WW2. We probably enjoyed the two Planes we had (Piper 140 & Piper Archer) The XYL got her private license after being 50. Our son is a retired 747400 cargo captain and is now flying for Talkeetna Air Taxi in Alaska. Our granddaughter is also flying for them. I lost three tendons in my right rotocuff so I had to give up another favorate hobby flyfishing. But I can still drive and feed myself and take care of my wife who has severe memory loss. No regrets I have had a wonderful life. 73 Dick & Arlene

Hey Dick,

Hang in there.

My favorite little plane was a 152 with a "Sparrow Hawk Conversion" it was soooooooooo fun and could that little bird scoot along.

Tail # and primary runway was a mouthful, however.

N49199 right downwind for 29 ... Ahhhhhhhhhhh what memories, those were fun times.

Centers and Towers and FBO's frequently requested "Say Agains" when we puddle jumped in their turf.

SFO seemed to really like all the 9-ers in our tail #. LOL, LOL, LOL.

The Best to you. GEO-HUGGGGGZZZZZZZZZZ and of course 73