Any good GPS's on sale for the Memorial holiday?

Well, those prices are really depressing! I've had mine so long that I don't even remember what I paid, but I had NO clue how much they cost that much! Mine is so old that the screen is virtually unreadable. I have to hold it JUUUUST right to be able to even read it. NOW what am I gonna do? There's no way I can spend anywhere near that much for one!

Well, those prices are really depressing! I've had mine so long that I don't even remember what I paid, but I had NO clue how much they cost that much! Mine is so old that the screen is virtually unreadable. I have to hold it JUUUUST right to be able to even read it. NOW what am I gonna do? There's no way I can spend anywhere near that much for one!

Then you're stuck with used ones on eBay or Craigslist. They probably work fine; the seller could have just upgraded to a newer one.

Do you have a smart phone? You can use that as a substitute.

If you do buy a gps look for one that loads geocaching webpages so you can have all the cache page information in one unit. These models are a major improvement to this game. I used to carry a gps and pda in one hand when we first started paperless caching. It was awkward but I did learn to fall and not drop either one! Now we just have one unit in hand. Much better.

Smartphones are a viable alternative now with the paid app from gc.com. You can download pocket queries for offline use if you cache in areas with poor or no data coverage. I always prefer the gps unit to the phone especially when caching in the rain which I do fairly often.

Used or refurbished might be the way you need to go. Check Amazon, Craigs List, & Ebay.

The Garmin Map62 is a real workhorse for geocaching. We also have a Colorado 300 but it is awkward if you plan to use it for auto routing to geocaches (map guidance with turn-by-turn instructions). The Colorado graphics are outstanding, though.

The Colorados should be very inexpensive now though I haven't looked for quite awhile. With the roll out of the Map64 the Map62s might be very affordable now too.

I was not very pleased with the Oregon I tested in the field when they first came out. The screen was very hard to see in daylight. Maybe they fixed that problem with later models.

If you are not familiar with auto routing it requires street maps loaded in the gps and for these older models you have to buy them separately at a significant cost. We have lifetime map updates for our Garmins because we use them for routing and locating businesses. Lifetime maps cost more upfront but we never pay update fees.

Then you're stuck with used ones on eBay or Craigslist. They probably work fine; the seller could have just upgraded to a newer one.

Hmmmm, I almost never buy anything online (so far - only once, ever. Honest, LOL!) My old one is a Magellan Explorist 210 (told you it was old) and it doesn't have any maps or anything except main highways. I really only use it after I get out of the truck and am heading towards the cache and for making a tracklog when I'm out trail riding. So, I'm used to basics; don't need anything fancy.

Do you have a smart phone? You can use that as a substitute.

No, no smart phone; I still have a flip phone. (Yes, I AM a cave person!)