app for Iphone 5s

benz915

I have been caching for several years. I recently got an I phone 5s and need advice on an app that is user friendly and will show all available caches from your current location and ability to post the finds from the phone. I have read about the apps but would still like advise from actual users, pros and cons of the apps.

Also do you need to have a premium membership to use the phone apps? Thanks in advance.

Edited by benz915

I would recommend the official Geocaching app from Groundspeak. Very easy to use and well worth the $10 price tag for the fun you'll get out of it. Make sure if you select this app that you go to the App Store and buy it....there's a free Intro version that has an "upgrade" option within the app, but that's an upgrade to Premium membership and NOT an upgrade of the app.

You do not have to be a Premium member to enjoy the full functionality of the paid app.

Geosphere is another app that I like. It has a bunch of features that the Groundspeak app doesn't, including interfacing with the Maps app on your phone for driving directions to the cache location. It's also $2 cheaper. Not quite as user friendly as the Groundspeak app though.

Edited by Chief301

I have been caching for several years. I recently got an I phone 5s and need advice on an app that is user friendly and will show all available caches from your current location and ability to post the finds from the phone. I have read about the apps but would still like advise from actual users, pros and cons of the apps.

Also do you need to have a premium membership to use the phone apps? Thanks in advance.

The Help Center:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

Help Center → Apps

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=12

1. Geocaching with iPhone

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=25

2. Geocaching with iPhone Intro

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=102

1.15. iPhone app Feature Comparison

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=442

B.

I would recommend the official Geocaching app from Groundspeak. Very easy to use and well worth the $10 price tag for the fun you'll get out of it. Make sure if you select this app that you go to the App Store and buy it....there's a free Intro version that has an "upgrade" option within the app, but that's an upgrade to Premium membership and NOT an upgrade of the app.

You do not have to be a Premium member to enjoy the full functionality of the paid app.

Geosphere is another app that I like. It has a bunch of features that the Groundspeak app doesn't, including interfacing with the Maps app on your phone for driving directions to the cache location. It's also $2 cheaper. Not quite as user friendly as the Groundspeak app though.

I agree....I use both of these and like them.

Geosphere is the most advanced and most capable geocaching app on iOS, and it's cheaper; but it does have a higher learning curve.

For anyone serious about smartphone caching, especially if familiar with GSAK, generally if they're a premium member as well, I always recommend Geosphere.

Ever since Geosphere added the Live API , my official GS app has been gathering dust.

Geosphere is the most advanced and most capable geocaching app on iOS,

As far as I read the description, Geosphere is not capable of offline maps and - when online - doesn't show live data (i.e. all caches on the shown map without having manually liad them). Is that right?

Looking4Cache does both. And more.

Geosphere is the most advanced and most capable geocaching app on iOS,

As far as I read the description, Geosphere is not capable of offline maps and - when online - doesn't show live data (i.e. all caches on the shown map without having manually liad them). Is that right?

Looking4Cache does both. And more.

Downloading maps for offline use, as opposed to OS-managed map caching which can be used offline? The former, no. The latter, yes. So it depends what kind of offline map use you're looking for. That said, I didn't say Geosphere could do -everything-, just that it's the most advanced and most capable (a balance of all its usability, functions and features).

Now, granted, I haven't looked at Looking4Cache yet, so I'll check it out. It's definitely a new release. Initial thoughts from the appstore listing are :mellow: but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and give it a shot :P

Edited by thebruce0

...yeah... just exploring the Lite version menus and feature set - it's still got a ways to go. It does have a few differences that are nice, but there are many things Geosphere does that L4C doesn't do. Especially when it comes to offline field notes, cache editing (database flexibility), in-app browser (doesn't exist), browser/bookmark flexibility, integration with other apps (presumably, I haven't searched for that :P), and more... and it doesn't really feel as refined (perhaps in part due to a language barrier?) or as user-friendly as Geosphere; but that's IMO.

If the app does do these things, they're not nearly as intuitive... I think I'd prefer L4C over the official app, I'll give it that. And there are some UI things that have been mentioned in the Geosphere forum a couple of times IIRC, but generally speaking - for the initial review that there are core features I use all the time in Geosphere that don't exist here, plus a number of significant features that aren't available - even though it's definitely a well-equipped app, I can't give it a thumbs up over Geosphere.

Thumbs up for what looks like a great app by its own merit though, and it's excellent to have another good one in the app store :)

I tried looking4cache on a few different occasions but have always ended up deleting it. Geosphere's ability to cache maps and link directly to the offline maps I use (pocket earth, Navigon, Gaia GPS) meets my needs. I prefer the way it displays caches - and it shines with gpx export, editing, browser, bookmarks, projections, and other features that I would miss too much to give up.

But as is common to all the third party apps that use Geocaching Live, premium membership is needed to get the most out of it. Going back to the OP, I would have to recommend the Groundspeak app to basic members, even though I deleted it as well.

Edited by geodarts

@thebruce0 & geodarts: Looking4Cache has all those features you both specifically mentioned as missing. Except maybe "cache-editing" and "in-app browser" (html view exists, though), but I'm not sure, what you mean with that.

I didn't evaluate Geosphere because there is no free trial version.

Thanks for your views!

@thebruce0 & geodarts: Looking4Cache has all those features you both specifically mentioned as missing. Except maybe "cache-editing" and "in-app browser" (html view exists, though), but I'm not sure, what you mean with that.

I didn't evaluate Geosphere because there is no free trial version.

Thanks for your views!

Perhaps. I looked in the manual and could not find a way to export a group of caches as a GPX file - that is important to me. I have not been able to find some other features - such as an in-app ignore function, display of a cache page's HTML source, or editing cache information or location - these are all things that I would miss. But I finally found projections and know that some functions are only available in the "pro" version (links, integration with Dropbox), so I could not compare those.

Perhaps it comes down to sticking with the one who brought you to the dance. Ultimately, I like the way that Geosphere displays cache information, manages groups (lists) of caches, interfaces with Navigon and other apps, and allows me to export search results so that I can load caches to my gpsr. I know that other apps offer HTML display (including looking4cache) or interface with at least some other apps - but I like the way that Geosphere does it, so it would take a lot to get me to switch.

I have recommended that people check out both looking4cache and geobucket because they offer free versions. That is a good thing.

Edited by geodarts