Someone looted 'attended' but wasn't there

Pokey and Reese

I hosted a CITO today that was not terribly well attended but we collected 3 truckloads of trash in a couple hours. Tonight, someone who was not there logged it as 'attended'. This person does say they did CITO in another area. Is this something that is acceptable? And do people normally contact the CO before just logging it? I just read the last 2 sentence and I seem peeved - I'm not - I'm just new and curious as to what's normal in these circumstances! Thanks in advance for any advice!

I can imagine someone attending one CITO event, and then getting permission to log dozens of other CITO events that same day because "they did CITO in another area".

But no, a CITO event is an event. Events should be attended before you post an Attended log.

Edited to mention that, per the guidelines, signing the logbook is not required for someone to log an event cache.

Hmm, in fact the guidelines say nothing at all about the requirements for logging "Attended". Are they relying on that mythical "common sense" thing again?

I'm as blind in reading the guidelines as in finding caches.

Edited by Chrysalides

Edited to mention that, per the guidelines, signing the logbook is not required for someone to log an event cache.

Hmm, in fact the guidelines say nothing at all about the requirements for logging "Attended". Are they relying on that mythical "common sense" thing again?

I'm not sure where you are going with this. The guidelines say that you can log an event if you went to the event, but that signing a log cannot be used as a requirement for logging online.

From the guidelines:

Any Event Cache (including Mega, Giga and CITO Events) can be logged online if the geocacher has attended the event. Event Cache owners can request that cachers sign a logbook, but this is optional and cannot be a requirement for logging an Event Cache.

I'm not sure where you are going with this. The guidelines say that you can log an event if you went to the event, but that signing a log cannot be used as a requirement for logging online.

From the guidelines:

Any Event Cache (including Mega, Giga and CITO Events) can be logged online if the geocacher has attended the event. Event Cache owners can request that cachers sign a logbook, but this is optional and cannot be a requirement for logging an Event Cache.

Ah, I did not read down far enough to the logging guidelines. Apologies. Will edit my post above.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#loggingevents

Like to see the guidelines linked in the newsletter sometime.

Maybe a time when marketing isn't busy, folks could get a chance to learn something.

Just to bust well, you know, I often state "I'm not signing this one" at events and get the same "you'll be deleted" as the reply.

Most have no clue of that section in the guidelines.

But then, when I refer to guidelines, many admit to never reading them...

The guidelines say that you can log an event if you went to the event, but that signing a log cannot be used as a requirement for logging online.
I am not a Lackey, and I don't play one on TV, but I think the reason behind not allowing a hard requirement that attendees sign event logs was the discord created when event organizers tried to enforce a requirement that attendees sign the event log, but didn't make the event log readily available to all attendees.

I hosted a CITO today that was not terribly well attended but we collected 3 truckloads of trash in a couple hours. Tonight, someone who was not there logged it as 'attended'. This person does say they did CITO in another area. Is this something that is acceptable? And do people normally contact the CO before just logging it? I just read the last 2 sentence and I seem peeved - I'm not - I'm just new and curious as to what's normal in these circumstances! Thanks in advance for any advice!

We have had CITO events in our area where the cache owner has stated something along the lines of "If you can't make it to the location pick up some trash in your area and you can log this as Attended." Since you're the host in this case, we know that wasn't the case.

(I'm not saying I agree with this approach -- I certainly don't want my caching history showing I attended an event when I wasn't there.)

While I understand that the guidelines state that attendees cannot be forced to sign the log, I totally disagree with this concept. Why have a log of any kind for a cache if it can be claimed as "found" without having signed the log? You may not be required to sign the log, but I guarantee if you didn't (at a very minimum) ATTEND my event, your find will be deleted.

While I understand that the guidelines state that attendees cannot be forced to sign the log, I totally disagree with this concept. Why have a log of any kind for a cache if it can be claimed as "found" without having signed the log? You may not be required to sign the log, but I guarantee if you didn't (at a very minimum) ATTEND my event, your find will be deleted.

At the very minimum? What other expectations do you have of event attendees beyond attending?

At the very minimum? What other expectations do you have of event attendees beyond attending?

So when you checked the box prior to submission that says you have read the guidelines and the assumptioni is you will adhere to them you were lying.

So when you checked the box prior to submission that says you have read the guidelines and the assumptioni is you will adhere to them you were lying.

Wait, what?

Event attendees are not required to agree to a list of guidelines in order to attend an event. They just go attend the event.

It does seem inconsistent with their guideline about signing a physical log on a cache being a requirement for claiming a find online. With only a few people in attendance, it's easy enough for the CO to know who 'earned' the Attended log...but with a few dozen or more there's no reliable way of confirming.

It does seem inconsistent with their guideline about signing a physical log on a cache being a requirement for claiming a find online. With only a few people in attendance, it's easy enough for the CO to know who 'earned' the Attended log...but with a few dozen or more there's no reliable way of confirming.

This is a better conversation for another thread, but that guideline doesn't say what you think it does.

Either way, it's clear that it is for physical caches, only. The event cache logging guidelines are enumerated in the next section of the guidelines; 'Logging of Non-Physical Geocaches'.

This is a better conversation for another thread, but that guideline doesn't say what you think it does.

Either way, it's clear that it is for physical caches, only. The event cache logging guidelines are enumerated in the next section of the guidelines; 'Logging of Non-Physical Geocaches'.

Instead of citing guidelines, you could contribute a useful point to the discussion. My point was that it is difficult for any CO of a larger event to verify attendance when the attendees number more than a maybe one or two dozen. So either you're okay with folks gaming the system or you have some other thoughts about it.

Instead of citing guidelines, you could contribute a useful point to the discussion. My point was that it is difficult for any CO of a larger event to verify attendance when the attendees number more than a maybe one or two dozen. So either you're okay with folks gaming the system or you have some other thoughts about it.

The guidelines are certainly important to discussions such as these. I also think that it's important to at least mention when someone misrepresents what the guidelines say.

To your 'point', if a event organizer is so hung up on verifying attendance, (rather than just enjoying the event and trying to make sure that others do) then I see no reason why anyone should bend over backwards to make it less difficult.

My thought about it verifying event attendance is 'why bother'? For the life of me, I can't think of a reason that didn't have to do with August souvis that would result in people lying about attending an event, nor can I think of any way that any other player is harmed by this.

From the Guidelines:

Any Event Cache (including Mega, Giga and CITO Events) can be logged online if the geocacher has attended the event.

It's unusual to contact the Event Host(ess) prior to logging an Attended.

=--------------

Events in my area have log books to sign in

As discussed earlier in the thread, signing an event logbook cannot be required.