Leaving without taking?

Kenbirds

Was just out for my first experience with geocaching, and I know that if you take an item from a container you should leave an item of equal or greater value, but is it okay to leave an item in the container even when you don't take anything from it? I searched on here but couldn't find anything about this, so was just wondering if there's anything improper about it, or if the owners don't like items added unless something is taken.

It is definitely fine to leave something without taking anything. It is mostly appreciated unless it is a container that has a reason to be empty and those would be rare. The only reason I could imagine someone complaining is if it was to full to now leave a TB but they could always take something to make room so go ahead and leave what you want! Welcome to the game!

just wondering if there's anything improper about it, or if the owners don't like items added unless something is taken.

After a while, a container may be looking a little sparse. It's cool to add something, but if the cache seems to be in a spot where it will tend to be raided (the place just plain looks like a popular hangout, or if there are clues such as weird trash in the cache or strange logs by non-cachers), bear in mind that your items will just be pocketed by the same guys that emptied it.

Since I usually arrive after a cache has degraded, there's not much to trade. So I may clean out the leaves & sticks & receipts, and the bubble soap or whatever may be problematic, and leave something I think future finders may like. But I'll be non-specific and mention that I left "goodies", or I won't mention leaving anything at all. My practice is, if I take something, I say what it is, but if I leave something, I might not say.

You can leave something if you want....some folks carry around extra swag just to sweeten caches that are looking a little bare, with no intention to take anything in trade.

You know, it's not required to trade swag at all. You can just sign the log and claim the find. If you want to be the cache fairy and add without taking, that's fine too. More power to ya ?

me and my daughter are the geocachers in this family. We usually keep a ziplock with little stuff to put in. Anything we take out go's into the ziplock to go into another cache. We havnt figured out what our trademark item is to leave in caches. For kids stuff best place to hit is the $1 store... You are fine if you don't take anything out of cache. It's the thrill of the find...

I Was just out for my first experience with geocaching today, there is one German introduced me about this game, anyway, i take nothing and leave nothing in the cache, because i didnt bring anything due to i have no idea regarding this before, i was also just wondering if there's anything improper about it, but now thanks for the info provided. this is an exciting game, will hunting for second and more... :)