Anderson Island Mini Cache Machine II

Team Noltex

For anyone who's wanted to go but didn't have a good reason, the Anderson Island Mini Cache Machine and Party Excuse II is your chance. Mark your calendars now for Saturday, August 9, 2014 for a day on this island gem in the Puget Sound. Our last event here was in 2005 and was such a blow out event, we've only just recently recovered! Anderson Island is near the city of Steilacoom and is serviced by a Pierce County ferry. A ferry schedule can be found here. Ferries to catch to be there by the start time leave Steilacoom for Anderson Island at 8:00 and 9:00 am. A link to the cache page will be posted as soon at it's approved.

There are currently 18 caches on the island, with eight to ten more planned to be published prior to the event. Another seldom found cache is at nearby Eagle Island that is a short canoe or kayak paddle away. There are also a number of caches in Steilacoom near the ferry landing.

We will meet at the ferry landing parking lot on Anderson Island at 9:30 am. A suggested route and cache list will be posted soon, so stay tuned.

We are planning on an afternoon BBQ potluck after the caches, probably around 1 or 2 pm. Bring a salad or dessert and we'll provide the hamburgers, hotdogs, buns and non-alcoholic beverages at our place on the island, which is at N47 09.737, W122 41.510. Please post a "Will Attend" note with the number in your party so we can plan for food.

Did I miss a GC code somewhere in there?

I've never heard of any place listed in the above description...so *any* GC code would be awesome sauce...

The dinner event has not been listed yet. For Anderson Island, find Steilacoom and look at the island off shore. There are a couple, one has lots of caches, one has none. You want to go to one but not the other. Steilacoom is south of Tacoma along I-5.

Did I miss a GC code somewhere in there?

I've never heard of any place listed in the above description...so *any* GC code would be awesome sauce...

The dinner event has not been listed yet. For Anderson Island, find Steilacoom and look at the island off shore. There are a couple, one has lots of caches, one has none. You want to go to one but not the other. Steilacoom is south of Tacoma along I-5.

Thanks. Until this post I had never heard of Anderson island OR steilacoom!

The event has been published here, GC56KD2. Put it on your calendars, hope to see you there.

Will you be publishing a route? Any idea when the new caches will appear?

I will be publishing a route, or at least minimally a bookmark list. The new caches will be placed by several other cachers in mid-july and will likely be published soon after.

The event will hopefully be published soon. Just trying to navigate the changes in posting events since the last time we hosted one.

I feel your pain. The guidelines change frequently, and I've encountered some inconsistencies among reviewers.

It's just a quick hop from my house, but I haven't been to A.I. in years. I'm looking forward to being there!

Here is the bookmark list for the event. Still working on putting together the route, though it's been WAY too long since I've worked with Streets and Trips. There are eight new caches on the island, only one of which has a finder so far, with the possibility of one more still to be placed.

The caches on the island are a pretty good mix of a few park and grabs, numerous typical regular caches, two caches to paddle to (at least one of which will have full access to a row boat or canoe) and two longer hikes of over a mile, each with three caches along the trail. The hikes are very easy with huge viewpoint and beach payoffs.

It looks like replies for around 40 people so far, so it should be a great turn out. Hope to see you there!

Here is the bookmark list for the event. Still working on putting together the route, though it's been WAY too long since I've worked with Streets and Trips. There are eight new caches on the island, only one of which has a finder so far, with the possibility of one more still to be placed.

The caches on the island are a pretty good mix of a few park and grabs, numerous typical regular caches, two caches to paddle to (at least one of which will have full access to a row boat or canoe) and two longer hikes of over a mile, each with three caches along the trail. The hikes are very easy with huge viewpoint and beach payoffs.

It looks like replies for around 40 people so far, so it should be a great turn out. Hope to see you there!

I know that PortersinWa are planning on going. At least he is. He's my ride.

The first draft of the cache route has been posted here. At this point, I don't expect it to substantially change, with the possible exception of adding one more additional new cache. Please let me know if you see any changes that need to be made.

There are two longer hikes of approximately 3/4 mile and 1 mile each way. Both have three caches along the trail. There is also one hike of approximately a 1/2 mile for "Grandma's Goodies", stop #7, but if you are willing to bushwhack, the approach is only a couple hundred feet.

There are two water access only caches, "Eagles Lair", which is on Eagle Island, a very small island situated between Anderson Island and McNeil Island, and "Florence Float", which is in Lake Florence on Anderson Island. Eagle Island is about a 10 minute paddle from Anderson Island and there is direct beach access at the location of another cache site, Eagle Island Cottage. I put those two caches in the route to be as close to low tide as possible, as it will be a pretty large tide exchange that day. Low tide on August 9 is at 11:00. There is a possibility that I may have a small boat with an outboard there for a couple hours around the low tide time to ferry those without boat access to the island. Volunteers for boat captain duty will be accepted. B) At the "Florence Float" cache, we will have a canoe and two small kayaks at a nearby dock to use for access.

Lunch is on your own, but because of the nature of the event, that it's a small island with few dining options and that there are probably more than a few people who have already done some of the caches on the island, the BBQ grill at our cabin will be fired up most of the afternoon for burgers and hotdogs. Bring other potluck food to share, we'll have refrigerator and cooler space for storage while you cache. Our cabin is located at the last route stop, and is the listed coords for the event. The address is 10409 Salmon Place AI.

Hope to see you there. At this point, it looks like the weather is probably going to be fabulous!

As of today, the Will Attend count is just over 70 people! In order to help accommodate space on the ferry, if you would like to come over on the 8:00 AM ferry, we'll be at the landing on the Anderson Island side to meet that boat as well. The ferry can hold 54 cars, so it will likely be fine, we just don't want anyone to miss the 9:00 AM boat because it happens to be full.

There are two water access only caches, "Eagles Lair", which is on Eagle Island, a very small island situated between Anderson Island and McNeil Island, and "Florence Float", which is in Lake Florence on Anderson Island. Eagle Island is about a 10 minute paddle from Anderson Island and there is direct beach access at the location of another cache site, Eagle Island Cottage. I put those two caches in the route to be as close to low tide as possible, as it will be a pretty large tide exchange that day. Low tide on August 9 is at 11:00. There is a possibility that I may have a small boat with an outboard there for a couple hours around the low tide time to ferry those without boat access to the island. Volunteers for boat captain duty will be accepted. B) At the "Florence Float" cache, we will have a canoe and two small kayaks at a nearby dock to use for access.

Team THAK! is excited about this CM - thanks for putting it together! Travis and I would be thrilled if there's watercraft available to take us to Eagle Island, as we won't be bringing any, alas. We are happy to be there at the suggested low-tide time.

Thanks for providing floatables for the lake cache!

Edited by hydnsek

I posted this to the cache page this evening.

At the current rate, we're likely to have closer to 100 attending. Just how many more do we need for a Mega Event? ;)

At this point, we will have a small boat to ferry people over to Eagle Island. Capacity is limited, but we should be able to get a fair number of cachers over there. We're planning to have a water stop at the trailhead for stop #11-13, which is the last of three moderate hikes. There are also bathrooms at stop #'s 2, 3, 15, 24, 26 and 27, with port-a-potties at several others.

While we have a fair amount of seating available at our cabin, please consider throwing a couple lawn chairs into your car to insure you don't have to eat standing up.

See you all Saturday.

Thanks to the awesome Wizard of Ooze reviewer, a last minute cache for the route was just published, By the Seashore, GC5AGG6. It is at the parking area for stop #26, Gems Around the Northwest With a View, which is at the Anderson Island marina. We'll have coords available if you see this too late to get them.