History of the Postal Arrows

mcd785

Interesting history! I'd never heard of these. It looks like Interstate 80 roughly follows the route. I wonder if there's a list of the individual arrow locations somewhere. Most of the shacks and towers are probably long gone but there's a good chance that a lot of the concrete arrows remain. They'd be hard to remove.

Edit: I found a more comprehensive link: http://sometimes-interesting.com/2013/12/04/concrete-arrows-and-the-u-s-airmail-beacon-system/

Apparently, many of the arrows were destroyed during WWII as the government was concerned that they could be used as a navigation aide by enemy aircraft. Also, the East/West transcontinental route was not the only airmail route that used the arrows.

Edited by BikeBill

Thanks everyone for the input, as the kids and i are just getting started with geocaching. i have discovered the kids are enjoying the caches from cemeteries , or have historical ties. as seen with the pics i posted when we found the original corner of northwest mo (185o border) ( hey anything to get them to enjoy learning....) and have fun.

the wife is wanting to me to buy a camper.......wonder if she is gonna let me plan the road trips?!?!?!

Edited by mcd785

Thanks everyone for the input, as the kids and i are just getting started with geocaching. i have discovered the kids are enjoying the caches from cemeteries , or have historical ties. as seen with the pics i posted when we found the original corner of northwest mo (185o border) ( hey anything to get them to enjoy learning....) and have fun.

the wife is wanting to me to buy a camper.......wonder if she is gonna let me plan the road trips?!?!?!

Even if she won't let you plan the routes, it will open up a lot of area for you to cache. :D