Creating *.wmf File?

dkorzenowsky

Does anyone know of any free software for converting/creating *.wmf files from *.jpeg files and from scratch :ph34r: .

I checked in Paint,ASCDEE and can't find any "save as" for wmf file format. I am creating DVD labels using TDL Labelling system for my geocach archive files, and want to create new images for the DVD cover

thanks in advance

WMF files are vector data (lines). JPG are bitmap images (dots). They are not cross compatable. You need to look for vectorization software. But trust me, it does not work that well.

thanks, I figured they were quite different software since I couldn't find "save as" files for *.wmf , any idea where I could create wmf file though :huh:

To create one from scratch, you need a vector drawing program. Any CAD software. If you draw something in excel is make the drawing in WMF (Windows Meta File). MOst drawing programs like Paint Shop Pro or such will save as WMF if the image is vector based.

You can export wmf files from OpenOffice Draw, a free vector based graphics program. Download from OpenOffice.org

In addition there is a project underway to create a public domain collection of vector based clipart and make it available to all. The filetype that is getting collected there is SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) which is somewhat of an open standard file type. Some browsers can now view SVG in web pages.

SVG can be converted to WMF.

The collection is called "Open Clipart" and can be found at Open Clipart.

You can place requests for specific graphic too. Since it's all done by volunteers etc. response may vary on requests.

Another editing program that is open source is called Inkscape