Power Trails USA

ZeLonewolf

Merry Christmas all!

Having broken the 1,000 find mark last month, including more than a few pure numbers runs, I'm looking to ramp it up to the next level by locating the country's best power trails, i.e., a long run of easy to find caches. My girlfriend and I have gotten to the point where we now take geocaching-specific vacations, to visit different parts of the country and play tourist via caching.

The concept of a power trail was something I first discovered while visiting Denver, CO, where we were able to nab 77 caches in a single 5-hour run in the plains east of Denver Airport. That area is well-documented in another thread as the location of the single-day record. There are easily 500 or more caches out there within a radius of not that many miles, plus because the roads are in the middle of nowhere, there's no traffic to contend with, either, and the speed limits are high.

In January, we're off for a week to New Orleans and the MS/AL gulf coast. One of the items on our itinerary is "Hang 'em High on Hwy 51", a series of at present count 144 500-ft-separated caches to the west of New Orleans along an abandoned stretch of US 51 which was since replaced by I-55. The road goes down a swampy causeway between two large lakes, so there's no civilization whatsoever - another power trail paradise.

Another series I've discovered, which is quite a bit closer to home (well, still a 5-hour drive), is the StudMill Challenge, to the northeast of Bangor, ME. There's somewhere in the 150-200 range of caches along forlorn logging roads out in the woods of Maine, spaced out at 0.75mi intervals. I'm saving that one for when the Maine snowpack melts.

My question to the community: where are the other great power trails?

It's already being discussed in this thread. But it's already fallen to page two, and also got dragged into the discussion of the relative merit of these trails instead of just their locations. Enjoy your trip, plan well, and don't forget your towel, sunscreen, and plenty of water.

Oh, and be prepared for this thread to devolve into the same relative merit discussion at some point in the next 48 hours too. :)