Geocaching South Australia

missmandy

Hi all, I want to start doing geocaching with my daughter but want to start locally. When I search in Australia I can only see caches in the whole of south australia of which there are thousands, there is no way to narrow it down to the local area that I can see. I tried searching by postcode and got caches in Hungary so am a bit stuck. Anyone from South Australia who can tell me how I can see local ones. many thanks

Amanda

I've read on these forums somewhere that you have to add a "comma, AU" or something like it to the postcode search for it to work. But I'm not 100% certain. I'm not local to you, but here's what I would do, if the postcode search doesn't work:

- Go to Google Maps and search somewhere in your area where you want the centre of your search to be. As an example, I'm going to search around Port Augusta.

- In the map, I'm able to click on any point (as long as it's not a name that will pull up more information - anywhere on the map itself) and a set of coordinates will show up under my search bar. For example, if I click on the intersection of Rogers St & Carlton Parade, I get this:

165 Carlton Parade

Port Augusta SA 5700, Australia

-32.486655, 137.783975

Those numbers are the coordinates for that spot.

- I can then put those coordinates in the "Decimal Format" search.

Edit to add: When the list is pulled up, I click on "Map this Location." Then I bookmark that map, so I can get back to it more easily. ;)

Edited by TriciaG

Hi all, I want to start doing geocaching with my daughter but want to start locally. When I search in Australia I can only see caches in the whole of south australia of which there are thousands, there is no way to narrow it down to the local area that I can see. I tried searching by postcode and got caches in Hungary so am a bit stuck. Anyone from South Australia who can tell me how I can see local ones. many thanks

Amanda

Australia subforum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=26&st=0&changefilters=1

Looks like you need to change the filters to "show all" threads. Don't know why I keep having to do that.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol