Garmin Lifetime Map Update 2015.20

larryc43230

Garmin Express is telling me that Garmin Lifetime Map Update 2015.20 is available. When I click the "Install" button, I get the usual warning that "Express cannot install this map update directly to your device" (an Oregon 650). I click OK, accept the terms and conditions, then click the big "Install All" button at the top right of the window. A gray progress bar appears near the top of the application window; in the Details section, it gives the file size as 2.8 GB, with an estimated installation time of 58 minutes.

Then the window just sits there. For hours. Last night, I left the program running overnight, and by morning it looked exactly the same. Nothing is downloaded, and there's no progress shown in the progress bar. I've tried this maybe half a dozen times over the past few days, with exactly the same (non) result. I eventually just exit Garmin Express, since nothing is happening.

Anyone else tried to download the 2015.20 update? Anyone had any success? Anyone else getting the same result I'm getting? Anyone know of another way to get the update?

--Larry

Worked for me but if it's not for you try the older MapUpdater

http://download.garm...nMapUpdater.exe

Thanks for the pointer. I had an older version of Map Updater, but had forgotten all about it after using Garmin Express for so long. I downloaded the latest version (3.3.3), and it successfully downloaded the new map for me. It's now installed on my Garmin 650.

I've never had much luck with Garmin Express, and I'm once again considering uninstalling it. Either it doesn't even begin to download new maps (as happened this time), or, even more frustrating, it appears to download a new map (taking half an hour or more to do so), then throws up some error message that the installation was unsuccessful. It actually works sometimes, but it fails at least half the time when I try to download maps with it.

--Larry

I would ask on the Garmin forums. I would suspect a firewall blocking things. I've also never had any problems on multiple machine and multiple location. It is something specific to your setup or ISP.

Red90, which Garmin forum? Every time I've tried to find an appropriate forum, I've wound up confused. And the few times I've posted there, I never got a meaningful response.

Can you recommend a specific forum on the Garmin site where I could ask such a question?

--Larry

P.S. I'm reasonably certain the problem I'm having is not related to "firewall blocking" or anything similar. Garmin Express has rarely worked properly for me, even after shutting down any firewall and anti-malware software. Anything is possible, but I'm skeptical.

The Garmin forums are down at the moment. When they are back up, I'll post a link.

The thing is, many thousands, probably hundred of thousands use Garmin Express. You see a few people with problems, but it is not huge. This means that it works without trouble for the vast majority. As it has not worked for you on multiple computers, logic says that it is something to do that is common to your computers. This could be a program or it could be your ISP. Have you tried downloading from a different location using a different ISP?

The only thing I don't like is that it is always running in the background and I have to shut it down when I want to load new caches on my 20 or 62s via GSAK.

At least in my case, I never have to shut down Garmin Express to load caches on my Oregon 650. Do you have "Automatically launch Garmin Express when a Garmin device is detected" checked in the Settings? If so, uncheck it. It will still check for updates to the maps and unit firmware.

--Larry

I've had no issues with Express on Windows 8.1 with my nuvi 2595LMT, eTrex 20, or GPSMAP 62s.

The only thing I don't like is that it is always running in the background and I have to shut it down when I want to load new caches on my 20 or 62s via GSAK.

The newer versions of Garmin Express have a setting to stop it from starting at bootup or running in background. You will find the setting under the Gear icon in the top bar of the Express window. Just uncheck the boxes in the top pane of Settings.
Can you recommend a specific forum on the Garmin site where I could ask such a question?

Garmin Express Forums: https://forums.garmi...-Garmin-Express

Thanks, Red90, I'll see what I can find there.

Have I simply been blind, or have the hardware-specific forums been added in the last couple of years? I gave up on those forums entirely quite some time ago after some less-than-positive experiences there, and I haven't bothered with them since then.

--Larry

Provided you have the DVD version you can update those maps either by purchasing a one time update or a lifetime update.

Unfortunately, you can only buy lifetime maps for the GPSr you installed CN on. If you buy a new GPSr, you have to start all over, buy CN and then the LT update. This is about the only thing I don't like about Garmin--you can buy a Nuvi unit for under $100 and get good street maps and LT maps, but buy one of their handhelds like Dakota/Oregon/Montana for a minimum of $200, and they give you only a crappy base map, and then charge close to $100 for CN and LT maps. I'll stick with OSM.

Edited by GrateBear

Provided you have the DVD version you can update those maps either by purchasing a one time update or a lifetime update.

Unfortunately, you can only buy lifetime maps for the GPSr you installed CN on. If you buy a new GPSr, you have to start all over, buy CN and then the LT update. This is about the only thing I don't like about Garmin--you can buy a Nuvi unit for under $100 and get good street maps and LT maps, but buy one of their handhelds like Dakota/Oregon/Montana for a minimum of $200, and they give you only a crappy base map, and then charge close to $100 for CN and LT maps. I'll stick with OSM.

I rather suspect it NavTeq and not Garmin that is driving this. The Garmin topo maps are not locked to a unit.

I rather suspect it NavTeq and not Garmin that is driving this. The Garmin topo maps are not locked to a unit.

Not entirely true. If you download the topo map, it's locked to the unit you initially register it with. If you buy the SD card, it's locked to that card, which means your SD card slot is used up and can't be used for storing other maps and data. If you buy the topo as a DVD, it can only be installed to one device.