Quick question about my new GPSMAP 64st

The GPSMAP 60CSx that I've been using to geocache with for the last nine years just gave up the ghost. I really enjoyed the way it worked. So, I've just replaced it with a new GPSMAP 64st. I'm still using the rechargeable Eneloop 1.2v batteries that I used in my 60CSx.

So here's the thing I can't figure out. With my 60CSx I could plug it into my car's usb port and the map would be continually backlit. Now, when I do the same thing with my 64st, it doesn't even show the map - it just displays the "I'm connected to the usb port" symbol.

Is there a setting I need to change to get back the utility of using it while plugged into my car's usb port?

I've set the AA Battery type setting to "Precharged NiMh". Is that correct?

Thanks!

Yes, in the interface settings. If you use a Garmin power cable, it is specially wired to tell the GPS it is not plugged into a computer.

In the interface settings. "Garmin Spanner" will make it prompt you when connected to go into mass storage mode or not. Choose "no" to stay in GPS mode.