Dakota 10 or 20

I have been looking into these 2 recently as well. My conclusion is that the extra features of the Dakota 20 are not really important. I rarely use a compass, never transfer data with other devices, and don't need a ton of storage room. I guess what's most important is how you want to use it? What kind of caching do you do?

Have you taken a look on the Garmin website? They will allow you to compare GPSrs:

Compare

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I have been looking into these 2 recently as well. My conclusion is that the extra features of the Dakota 20 are not really important. I rarely use a compass, never transfer data with other devices, and don't need a ton of storage room.

That's the same conclusion I came to - and I now have two Dakota 10's :)

The 10 does have a compass - it's just not magnetic, so it only works when you're moving.

Not convinced the OP is even still here anyhow.

I have been looking into these 2 recently as well. My conclusion is that the extra features of the Dakota 20 are not really important. I rarely use a compass, never transfer data with other devices, and don't need a ton of storage room.

That's the same conclusion I came to - and I now have two Dakota 10's :)

The 10 does have a compass - it's just not magnetic, so it only works when you're moving.

Not convinced the OP is even still here anyhow.

Good to know. I figure if you really need a compass for a cache, you can just bring along a normal, old-fashioned compass along (I have one of these on hand for emergencies).

I'm thinking of buying one for my sister and I also need a backup GPSr for myself for safety reasons.

The features you mention as not needing are the exact same reasons I originally went with the Dakota 20. After I had my first unit with an electronic compass, I couldn't imagine going back to a unit without one. The ability to transfer caches and waypoints between units wirelessly isn't something I use every day but I'm sure happy to have it when I need it.

Whenever anyone asks "What should I buy?" that really needs to trigger a whole series of questions. The specific manner in which one plans on using a unit will drive a lot of the decision.

Don't confuse a compass page with a compass.

The ability to transfer caches and waypoints between units wirelessly isn't something I use every day but I'm sure happy to have it when I need it.

We're using that function more and more, not just for geocaches but other waypoints as well. I'm glad we spent the extra bit of money to get the 20, and it was brand new at the time. The Dakota makes a nice third GPS for the family to go along with our two Oregons.

Good to know. I figure if you really need a compass for a cache, you can just bring along a normal, old-fashioned compass along (I have one of these on hand for emergencies).

The compass needle on the GPS receiver points towards your destination. I'd like to see a normal compass that does that for caches not hidden at the north or south magnetic pole.

The electronic magnetic compass ensures that the needle points towards the destination even when you're standing still or is in an area with spotty GPS coverage (such as among tall buildings). It is not essential, of course. But it can be useful.

The compass needle on the GPS receiver points towards your destination. I'd like to see a normal compass that does that for caches not hidden at the north or south magnetic pole.

The electronic magnetic compass ensures that the needle points towards the destination even when you're standing still or is in an area with spotty GPS coverage (such as among tall buildings). It is not essential, of course. But it can be useful.

LOL, true, I guess. I'm one of those people who always uses a map, never the compass.

LOL, true, I guess. I'm one of those people who always uses a map, never the compass.

Out of curiosity, do you use north up or direction of travel for your maps? If you use north up and then follow the arrow on the map, that's similar to the compass screen, just that the arrow is smaller :)

Track up. All the way, baby. B)

All the arguments regarding the advantages of an electronic compass (and that they are not absolutely necessary) still applies to you in that case. An electronic compass can help determine what direction you're facing when you're standing still and orient the map correctly. And obviously it is not absolutely necessary since you've been able to find many caches :)

Out of curiosity, do you use north up or direction of travel for your maps? If you use north up and then follow the arrow on the map, that's similar to the compass screen, just that the arrow is smaller :)

Track up. All the way, baby. B)

All the arguments regarding the advantages of an electronic compass (and that they are not absolutely necessary) still applies to you in that case. An electronic compass can help determine what direction you're facing when you're standing still and orient the map correctly. And obviously it is not absolutely necessary since you've been able to find many caches :)

I've been able to find a few. ;)

Like I said, the GPSr is likely for my sister or for an emergency GPSr for me. My sister doesn't cache that much, anyway, her old GPSr died months ago and she hasn't bought a new one.

Edited by The_Incredibles_