Disappointed am I

Hobittual

I am disappointed that members I have contacted to inform them that their caches have been compromised in some way, have not the decency to reply or are no longer active on either the forum or as cachers.

Is there not a system in place to remove caches from the map if they repeatedly cannot be found, or to tar and feather those that are not maintaining their caches, thus wasting a lot of peoples time and effort, or cannot be bothered replying to well meaning folk that are giving them the heads up?

I have a bucket of tar at the forum's disposal and a chicken with Vent Gleet (I looked that one up) if called upon.

The Hobster

Is there not a system in place to remove caches from the map if they repeatedly cannot be found, or to tar and feather those that are not maintaining their caches, thus wasting a lot of peoples time and effort, or cannot be bothered replying to well meaning folk that are giving them the heads up?

Yes... Post a 'needs archived' log on the cache. That way the local reviewer will be informed and can take appropriate action.

Is there not a system in place to remove caches from the map if they repeatedly cannot be found, or to tar and feather those that are not maintaining their caches,

Um... yeah... it's the NM and NA log type. Needs Maintenance and Needs Archived.

People new to the game, may not have heard of them, but they are by far the best way to alert a CO to the needs of a particular cache (NM), or request that a reviewer takes a look and makes a decision (NA). If you use this method rather than writing to a CO privately it means that the caching community also is aware of any problems and it can save potential searchers wasting time too if they feel they're not going to be able to find the cache or know in advance it's in a state.

No tar and feathers needed at all.

As for people not replying to mails, well, it's probably to be expected that someone who has decided not to maintain a particular cache probably isn't going to enter in to a discussion about it. Don't sweat it.

If you can't find a cache it doesn't necessary follow that it's not there - Maybe you just couldn't find it. Add a DNF log and move on to your next search. You can put the cache "on watch" to see whether any other cachers have better luck finding it.

If the cache receives several DNF logs (with no response from the cache owner) then the next step is to put a 'Needs maintenance' log to ask the owner whether they could check on their cache to confirm whether it's still in place.

If there's no response to the NM log after 2 or 3 weeks then it may be appropriate to take the next step - Add a 'Needs Archive' log. This will automatically go through to the local reviewer who'll take action if necessary.

MrsB

If you can't find a cache it doesn't necessary follow that it's not there - Maybe you just couldn't find it. Add a DNF log and move on to your next search. You can put the cache "on watch" to see whether any other cachers have better luck finding it.

If the cache receives several DNF logs (with no response from the cache owner) then the next step is to put a 'Needs maintenance' log to ask the owner whether they could check on their cache to confirm whether it's still in place.

If there's no response to the NM log after 2 or 3 weeks then it may be appropriate to take the next step - Add a 'Needs Archive' log. This will automatically go through to the local reviewer who'll take action if necessary.

MrsB

... of course there are enough threads and info stating what constitutes a needs maint log so it's shouldn't be a difficult concept. Lately it appears red spanners are the new DNF. The latest we saw was a needs archived because ... "It's very overgrown"

... adding strimmer to the CO equipment list ... six finds and you're disappointed lol. Well get ready to be beside yourself when you get to double figures lol.

Specifically

http://coord.info/GC3JBN9 needs a needs maintenance

http://coord.info/GC3MYW6 - this one needs one of your double logs deleting else your cache count will be wrong and don't assume they are no longer active on geocaching because it states they last signed in last year. Signed in via a computer registers a visit - signing in via any of the apps (smartphone) does not register a visit.

But your not the only one to complain about clear info where the cache is.

Other than that your logs are nice. A winning scratcher eh. That's generous. Used to be that a quid would be a FTF prize not swag.

Your profile photo is disturbing lol.

Edited by Seaglass Pirates

I am disappointed that members I have contacted to inform them that their caches have been compromised in some way, have not the decency to reply or are no longer active on either the forum or as cachers.

I have a bucket of tar at the forum's disposal and a chicken with Vent Gleet (I looked that one up) if called upon.

The Hobster

Help Center → Finding a Geocache → Logging a Geocache

4.2. What log type should I use?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=534

B.

Yes, there is a system in place to handle caches with problems. What isn't in place is a way to handle well meaning folk that send private e-mail to report a problem and cannot be bothered to learn about the system instead so they know to post a public Needs Maintenance log in order to keep a lot of people from wasting time and effort.

Stuff happens. Don't bother trying to reach a conclusion about the CO and why he's not reacting. Just focus on what you can do, which is file accurate and helpful Needs Maintenance or Needs Archived logs when appropriate.

Yes, there is a system in place to handle caches with problems. What isn't in place is a way to handle well meaning folk that send private e-mail to report a problem and cannot be bothered to learn about the system instead so they know to post a public Needs Maintenance log in order to keep a lot of people from wasting time and effort.

Stuff happens. Don't bother trying to reach a conclusion about the CO and why he's not reacting. Just focus on what you can do, which is file accurate and helpful Needs Maintenance or Needs Archived logs when appropriate.

OK I'm a newbie and maybe don't understand your protocols but if I see a problem - I would send an email fist to give CO a chance to sort it - maybe doesn't need a huge red spanner on the listing. This has worked for me a couple of times - have seen problems - emailed via geocaching = got a response with TKS and CO sorted. Other times - no response from CO - that's when I think it is time either to sort it myself (if a localish cache and I think owner had abandoned but cache worth supporting) or if not localish to do the red spanner job.

just to add to this - yesterday go msg from CO I emailed months ago = no reply - nice localish cache = so I sorted the problem and put a note on listing. turns out CO had a stroke and was totally unable to do anything - couldn't even remember login - now improving and emailed me to give tks for sorting his caches -- moral - don't jump to conclusions - there may be a valid reason for not responding to emails for quite a long time

OK I'm a newbie and maybe don't understand your protocols but if I see a problem - I would send an email fist to give CO a chance to sort it - maybe doesn't need a huge red spanner on the listing. This has worked for me a couple of times - have seen problems - emailed via geocaching = got a response with TKS and CO sorted. Other times - no response from CO - that's when I think it is time either to sort it myself (if a localish cache and I think owner had abandoned but cache worth supporting) or if not localish to do the red spanner job.

The NM is also to let cachers who might try to find the cache that there might be an issue, it isn't just to let the cache owner know.

The red spanner goes away once they log an owners maintence, not a big deal.

OK I'm a newbie and maybe don't understand your protocols but if I see a problem - I would send an email fist to give CO a chance to sort it - maybe doesn't need a huge red spanner on the listing.

A common mistake, even among cachers that aren't newbies. Yes, you want to tell the CO, but you also want to tell anyone else that's looking for the cache. This serves to both warn the others and it tells them they don't need to report the same problem a second time. The huge red spanner isn't a mark of shame. Most caches will get one eventually.

Naturally you have to be sure not to call for maintenance unless you're sure it needs maintenance. Your inability to find a cache, for example, rarely tells you it needs maintenance.

just to add to this - yesterday go msg from CO I emailed months ago = no reply - nice localish cache = so I sorted the problem and put a note on listing. turns out CO had a stroke and was totally unable to do anything - couldn't even remember login - now improving and emailed me to give tks for sorting his caches -- moral - don't jump to conclusions - there may be a valid reason for not responding to emails for quite a long time

I think it's precisely because the OP didn't take a possibility like this into account that the responses were not as friendly as them might have been. I'm glad you've learned this lesson. But notice that this is exactly why you post an NM instead of sending private e-mail. If you'd sent private e-mail without "sorting the problem", the problem wouldn't have been sorted and no one but you would have known about it.

(Whether or not you should have sorted out a problem with someone else's cache is another question.)

I don't understand the aversion to logging a Needs Maintenance. It's not a moral judgement or calling the CO's character into question, it's just a means of letting them know there's an issue with their cache. You're not accusing them or "calling them out" as a bad cache owner, just identifying a problem for them.

If you're thinking that an email will be a quicker way of reaching them, know this....cache owners automatically receive an email when any log is posted on one of their caches, so directly emailing the owner won't speed up the process.

Plus, as others have mentioned, NM logs are useful to other cachers also, to let them know there may be a problem with the cache they are planning to look for.

The needs maintenance spanner use is specified to death in many places. While is may be helpful to let others know there is or may be an issue with a cache it only works if people use it correctly. For instance it isn't to be used, and I'm using actual examples seen, when:

A cache cannot be found - many offenders of all cache counts.

A TB isn't present in a cache -

An area has long grass (in this case they logged a needs archived)

They didn't reply to your email.

The road is too narrow in your opinion.

A camo bag/tape is missing/ has a hole in it( most caches do not have camo bags and those that do the slugs love em)

... and many other tragic examples. It is for a broken cache or full log mainly. Oh and full log means BOTH sides of the paper not just one side. A needs maintenance log will cause a CO to make a visit. This is extra work to their normal maintenance cycle. If you log a NM incorrectly/repeatedly you will get spoken about lol.

The needs maintenance spanner use is specified to death in many places. While is may be helpful to let others know there is or may be an issue with a cache it only works if people use it correctly. For instance it isn't to be used, and I'm using actual examples seen, when:

A cache cannot be found - many offenders of all cache counts.

A TB isn't present in a cache -

An area has long grass (in this case they logged a needs archived)

They didn't reply to your email.

The road is too narrow in your opinion.

A camo bag/tape is missing/ has a hole in it( most caches do not have camo bags and those that do the slugs love em)

... and many other tragic examples. It is for a broken cache or full log mainly. Oh and full log means BOTH sides of the paper not just one side. A needs maintenance log will cause a CO to make a visit. This is extra work to their normal maintenance cycle. If you log a NM incorrectly/repeatedly you will get spoken about lol.

If six folks in a row can't find a 1/1, I'd say an NM is an option.

I don't understand the aversion to logging a Needs Maintenance. It's not a moral judgement or calling the CO's character into question, it's just a means of letting them know there's an issue with their cache. You're not accusing them or "calling them out" as a bad cache owner, just identifying a problem for them.

I see it as the equivalent of letting someone know their zipper is undone. It's the sort of thing I'd want to know.