Magellan eXplorist GC sync with Geocaching account?

Snowymoon

:) Does anyone know if there is a way I can sync the cache files in my Magellan eXplorist GC with caches already found in my geocaching account? I mean, I know I can just eliminate them using pocket queries, but then I would not see them at all. I thought it would be neat to have them there but marked as found. Is this possible? :mellow:

i thought the found get a smiley when looking at the map and in the cache listing on the GC?

pretty sure it is like that.

Monty

Does this work with caches found prior to using the Explorer GC because I thought it did but I just got a replacement unit and when I load my found PQ nothing shows a :D ??? I would also like to have the "lifetime found" count match what my GC.com account says. Any help would be appreciated.

BM

i am not sure if it works that way or not.

we got a GC and within 10 days we returned it to best by as it froze on us.

had only a few finds and being new we were not thinking or caring much about things like that.

the replacement lasted a month and then it too froze. the first one after doing the 1.4 firmware. the second one after uploading about 8,000 caches with GSAK. this was 10 days ago for the second freeze.

currently it is sitting on my desk waiting for me to go through the process to return it to magellan and see what they will do with it.

good thing i had bought myself a 62s when the gf went on a trip with the GC or we would not be caching still.

for myself using gsak and not doing epic cache runs like i see some ppl do i am ok with keeping whatever on the gps that i choose to put on it.

we may or may not keep the GC when we get it back from magellan. i know i will not be using it as i wasnt impressed with it. just have to see if the gf liked it enough to give it another try or if she wants something else.

Monty

I have tried uploading the "my finds" pocket query which does upload just the ones I've found but then I have to go through each one and select "found" even though the gpx file says I have found them. I have even looked through the files on the GC to see if anything has changed after editing one or two but I guess they are storing them on the hidden memory, maybe time to contact Magellan again. They have been very good with tech support so far.....

I have tried uploading the "my finds" pocket query which does upload just the ones I've found but then I have to go through each one and select "found" even though the gpx file says I have found them. I have even looked through the files on the GC to see if anything has changed after editing one or two but I guess they are storing them on the hidden memory, maybe time to contact Magellan again. They have been very good with tech support so far.....

This isn't a bug that a Tech Support rep can help you fix or address. It's a feature request that has been shared with Magellan that a lot of us are hoping will be addressed in the next release.

I'd like to be able to load MY FINDS (2,000+) and have them show up as smileys on the map in case I need to revisit a previously found cache. I'd also like the ability to turn that file off from showing (like a checkbox) if I don't want to see them at any given point - but I guess it might already be covered by choosing to show UNFOUND.

Point is, I hope Magellan updates the software to specifically handle the MY FINDS PQ.

I thought the magellan connected to the geocaching site to search for nearby caches whilst you were outdoors with it ?

No - there are no gps only units that do that. Someday maybe, we'll have gps's that run on a free 3g network (like kindles and nooks).

But for now you need a smartphone for getting instant caches (caches nearby).

I've had good success on my blackberry with geocache navigator, and others have had success with an Android or Iphone.

But, I still purchased a gpsr, because although the phone and app work great, it loses the signal easy and loses accuracy in wooded cover.

I thought the magellan connected to the geocaching site to search for nearby caches whilst you were outdoors with it ?

No - there are no gps only units that do that. Someday maybe, we'll have gps's that run on a free 3g network (like kindles and nooks).

I've had good success on my blackberry with geocache navigator, and others have had success with an Android or Iphone.

But, I still purchased a gpsr, because although the phone and app work great, it loses the signal easy and loses accuracy in wooded cover.

Sorry to start up this topic again but was wondering if anyone found a Answer on this. I brought my GC after alreading finding 80 so i also wanted to add these 80 ...I thought maybe vantage point would be able to do it. I then emailed tech support who said i can sync my GC with the geocaching web site but so far im unsure how to do this, tech support didnt explain this important information.