Proper way to 'redesign' a cache

the_Seppi

One of my caches became unsolvable due to one stage (a public info board maintained by people not involved with the final's location) being removed. For now, I disabled the listing and left a comment so people know that the cache can't be solved and that I'm working on a remake of it.

However, as I have now redesigned this multicache, I noticed that, while some stages stayed the same, others are completely different. Also, the final location will most likely change.

Now I'm asking myself whether to change the existing listing or to archive it and create a new one.

Both caches share the same topic (dinosaur findings in my village), but as the stages are different, I wonder whether I should create a new listing so people who already found the old cache can get a new 'Found it' log by going for the new riddle.

I'd like to read your thoughts on this.

the_seppi

With a new final location, and one or more new stages, I'd go ahead and create a new cache listing. I might give it a name that referred to the old listing (e.g., "Son of Xyzzy" or "Xyzzy Redux"), and include a link to the original listing. But it's starting to sound more like a new cache that reuses the original theme, and less like a repaired cache.

The fundamental answer is that it's up to you.

On the one hand, what you describe sounds like a new cache to me. If there was only one minor difference, I'd be inclined to think the CO was being cheesy calling it a new cache, but I'd still accept his decision (and happily claim the find!).

On the other hand, if you want to keep it the same cache, I think that would be absolutely fine. If you see it that way, I'd agree that the adjustments you describe are with the bounds of it being the same cache.

One of my caches became unsolvable due to one stage (a public info board maintained by people not involved with the final's location) being removed. For now, I disabled the listing and left a comment so people know that the cache can't be solved and that I'm working on a remake of it.

However, as I have now redesigned this multicache, I noticed that, while some stages stayed the same, others are completely different. Also, the final location will most likely change.

Now I'm asking myself whether to change the existing listing or to archive it and create a new one.

Both caches share the same topic (dinosaur findings in my village), but as the stages are different, I wonder whether I should create a new listing so people who already found the old cache can get a new 'Found it' log by going for the new riddle.

I'd like to read your thoughts on this.

the_seppi

If the final location is changed, then it's basically a "new" cache. You can't change the location of the final coordinates more than 528 feet without the help of a Reviewer.

You could archive the old one, and submit the new coordinates for Review.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

3.12. Editing a Published Listing: Minor Change

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=201

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

3.13. Editing a Published Listing: Major Change

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=76

B.