"A Scilly event" 23rd June 2012

"A Scilly event", 23rd June 2012.

Any cachers considering a holiday in Cornwall in June 2012 may like to know of this event. It provides a good excuse for a visit to the Isles of Scilly, should you need one.

The event has been published earlier than normal because accommodation on Scilly tends to get booked up quite quickly so anyone hoping to attend and also to stay on the islands for a few days may need to start investigating B&Bs or camping very soon.

MrsB :)

It sounds good to me. I have to be in Birmingam by Sunday morning (the day afterwards) but I think it's possible and I've done crazier things for a t-shirt :)

I've been working towards my own West Country events in the summer with a 'traditional' Summer Extreme one at/near the Lizard Lighthouse (mainland Britain's most southerly point), a Geolympix Countdown (the final one) event somewhere around Exeter and perhaps my own event on Scilly - I'll be careful not to clash with this one now I'm aware of it. Hope to see you on the islands!

Thanks for the bump MrsB.

In addition, I have an event at Lizard Point planned for June 17th. It's been ok'd by the National Trust and I'm in talks about getting it listed ahead of the usual 3 months limit as it's a pretty remote location which may require an over night stay. If you've no objection, I'll add a link (and a fresh bump) when it's approved.

In addition, I have an event at Lizard Point planned for June 17th. It's been ok'd by the National Trust and I'm in talks about getting it listed ahead of the usual 3 months limit as it's a pretty remote location which may require an over night stay.

I'm puzzled. A road goes pretty much all the way there?

In addition, I have an event at Lizard Point planned for June 17th. It's been ok'd by the National Trust and I'm in talks about getting it listed ahead of the usual 3 months limit as it's a pretty remote location which may require an over night stay.

Well you have to walk the final few hundred yards to the very pointy end...

Well you have to walk the final few hundred yards to the very pointy end...

... and an overnight stay ;):lol:

An update on this. The doubters were right all along. Lindinis has sadly informed me "SP's Final Extreme? (Lizard Point, Cornwall) - GC3BCB7" can't be listed early, due to a tightening of event listing guidelines. However, if you happen to be at the far end of the Lizard from 2pm on Sunday, June 17th this year, you may find other cachers around... :)

I'll be camping on Scilly, but I think I'd struggle to get a campsite with TV, bath and soft bed for a tenner, Birdman. Thanks for the suggestion of Henry's campsite though; I've made a note for a future trip to the area.

While I'm way out west, I also plan to climb Brown Willy. No jokes please; it's the highest point in Cornwall. Would anyone fancy joining me for a romp on the moors?

To tug this thread back on track - while taking full responsibility for [removed on legal advice] it off - do go to The Blorenges' A Scilly Event if you get the chance. The islands aren't just pretty, they're as close to time travel as you can get without people dressing up as English Civil War soldiers. On the morning of the event - before it gets too warm, fingers crossed - I plan to run the island's 16Km/10 mile coast path, if anyone up for a race wants to join me for that. There are showers at the quay. You're less welcome to join me for that though. :P

Thanks very much MrsB. I'll add that I've found a local happy to be my Cache Guardian on the islands (she found some last summer and enjoyed the experience) and I've had the green light to hide at least one cache on the islands (Tresco) and have a Pending on several others while the IOS Wildlife Trust mull things over. I should be able to edit prepared cache page/s while I'm on the islands and if the kindly local reviewer smiles upon it/them, it/they'll come live in time for the two events. Should make some visiting cachers who've already cleared the islands happy :)