Requested archiving of caches

The committee for Maritime Mega Moncton are requesting the removal of caches along a local hiking trail where they want to hide their own 15 kilometer (about 10 miles) series.

It has been said by some, that they will remove and then request that a reviewer archive the caches. Are they permitted to do this? Are my caches on that trail doomed?

http://maritimemega.com/

Wow, that is horrible. I don't know if they're allowed to do that. They shouldn't be. What a horrible way to treat other geocachers. I went to the Maritime Mega a few years ago - let me tell you, I'll think long and hard before I ever go to another if this is how they behave.

Can you show us proof that caches are being removed and archived? Is anyone getting any messages or warnings (email) stating that their caches are just being removed and archived? You show a link of a mega event website, but I am wondering where the specific information is on that site that states that caches are being removed/archived.

Can you show us proof that caches are being removed and archived? Is anyone getting any messages or warnings (email) stating that their caches are just being removed and archived? You show a link of a mega event website, but I am wondering where the specific information is on that site that states that caches are being removed/archived.

It has only been verble (from the committee) to date but we are about 2 months from the planned action and I intend to nip this in the bud without a fight!

The committee for Maritime Mega Moncton are requesting the removal of caches along a local hiking trail where they want to hide their own 15 kilometer (about 10 miles) series.

It has been said by some, that they will remove and then request that a reviewer archive the caches. Are they permitted to do this? Are my caches on that trail doomed?

http://maritimemega.com/

Maybe you can ask them in their subforum (or have one of the Mods move this thread)

M3 Subforum

I would think it would be in their best interests to keep the locals happy. I know when we had a Mega Event near us, it depended heavily on volunteers, who were mostly local. Seems odd for them to bit the hand etc.

It has only been verble (from the committee) to date but we are about 2 months from the planned action and I intend to nip this in the bud without a fight!

Forgive me, but bringing it here doesn't seem like avoiding a fight to me. It's more like pouring gasoline on a fire.

But to answer your original question, it seems unlikely that the local Reviewer or Groundspeak would go along with the idea of Archiving active caches in order to make room for what sounds like a power trail.

Who exactly is this group?

It is in extremely bad form to ask somebody to archive a hide in order to hide your own. I believe that Groundspeak has supported that in the past (although I can't remember the circumstances, so sorry if I'm wrong) but amongst the general geocaching population that would be anathema!

If they own/manage the land, then they can do pretty much whatever they want. IIRC, there was a stink in New Jersey recently where land managers wanted to create their own series of caches, so they demanded that existing caches that were in the way be archived. Since the existing caches no longer had permission, Groundspeak had to archive them. Since the new caches met the guidelines, Groundspeak listed them.

But it is a jerk move on the part of the land owner/manager. It makes me appreciate the local open space district that worked with local geocachers when they created their challenge series.

And one of the things that came out of the previous discussion is that the land owner/manager should work with Groundspeak in such situations. Often, they can work it out so the land owner/manager can create their series of caches with minimal disruption to the existing caches (and therefore, with less antagonism of the local geocaching community).

Who exactly is this group?

The operators of Cache-UP NB http://www.cacheupnb.com/

Please save me the reading... are they a governmental group, a commercial group, or just a bunch of geocachers that have organized into Cache-UP NB? What is their level of authority, and do they own or have rights to the land where they want to have these caches archived?

From their about part of their website ..

Cache Up NB is a news, information, and community based website focused on geocaching in the province of New Brunswick, Canada.

sounds like a bunch of guys that have a hard time buying hats.

Edited by jholly

Cache Up NB is a news, information, and community based website focused on geocaching in the province of New Brunswick, Canada.

sounds like a bunch of guys that have a hard time buying hats.

Yeah, the only risk seems to be that they have "partnered with several government agencies".

They may have convinced those government agencies to revoke permission for the existing caches.

If not, then it doesn't look like the owners of the existing caches have anything to worry about.

Sure sounds like some blowhards with no real authority.

Is this the crow robot that is a cacher, or the Crow Robot that is a reviewer? It matters as to how much credence I place on the comment.

As to the OP, it is pretty C****S**** that a listing service would allow a land manager to archive viable caches so the land manager could place their own caches in the same location. I think there should be some sort of time limit in that situation, like maybe a year or more.

Is this the crow robot that is a cacher, or the Crow Robot that is a reviewer? It matters as to how much credence I place on the comment.

As to the OP, it is pretty C****S**** that a listing service would allow a land manager to archive viable caches so the land manager could place their own caches in the same location. I think there should be some sort of time limit in that situation, like maybe a year or more.

I'm just a cacher, not the esteemed reviewer.

I didn't read the link and just based my opinion off of jholly's quote about the group. If they were land managers, I'd have no issue with them asking/demanding the caches be archived. Land managers, after all, have the right to grant or refuse permission to use their property in a manner they deem fit. If they wanted to create their own caches and place them on their property, they have every right to do so. This just sounds like a group of cachers who formed a website. As noble as they might think their cause is, if they don't own the land or have authority over it, they have to abide by the saturation rules. Same as anyone else.

I'm just a cacher, not the esteemed reviewer.

For future reference, "Crow-T-Robot" is the cacher. "Crow T Robot" is the reviewer. Note, the dash signs in the cache name for Crow-T-Robot the geocacher. BTW, "Crow T Robot" is/was one of the reviewers responsible for reviewing caches in areas all over the world that don't have a designated reviewer.

As a member of the committee for the mega in question, I want to make it very clear that no caches along the trail in question will be archived unless the owner of said caches wishes to do so. We would NEVER contact our local reviewer to have them archive caches along any trail for any purposes that are related to the mega. If you heard this from someone, then that person was mistaken, didn't have all the facts, or may have been making a joke about it as many of the locals do. I cannot stress enough how we would never even remotely entertain the idea of going over a cache owner's head to do something to their cache(s).

Our discussion about the caches on that trail is limited specifically to those people who are interested in helping out with us using that trail for a planned satellite event related to the mega. That event has not been submitted yet as our discussions with the owners of the caches on that trail is still a work in progress, as is the details of the satellite event. In fact, the actual event itself has nothing to do with the actual caches on the trail. But as a side affect of the event, people would be caching in that area so we wanted to contact cache owners as a courtesy to insure there were no issues. If you haven't been contacted about your caches, then it's likely because either 1) Your caches are not affected by the event's plans or 2) We simply haven't gotten to you yet. Yes, we did contact Hillbilly Bob about his caches, and yes he is interested in archiving them for our satellite event. That does not however translate into us forcing anyone to archive anything on that trail. We know you have caches on that trail and you would have been contacted by someone on the planning committee as to what you wanted to do. If you want to keep them there, then great. We are happy to support that. We are not interested in forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do with their caches. You are the owner of your caches and fully entitled to do what you want with those caches. If your interests work with ours, then we work together. If not, then we modify our plans to insure it doesn't conflict with your caches.

In the future, if you have questions or concerns about anything related to the mega, you are more than welcome to post them to the mega specific forum on here, use the website contact link, or for that matter, email us directly. You know all of us on the committee and we are more than willing to discuss any concerns or issues you might have.

Lastly, I don't know if a moderator would be in agreement, but this really does seem like a topic that is more suited to the M3 - Maritime Mega Moncton forum. If it is possible, I'd request this thread be moved there. Thank you.

As a member of the committee for the mega in question, I want to make it very clear that no caches along the trail in question will be archived unless the owner of said caches wishes to do so. We would NEVER contact our local reviewer to have them archive caches along any trail for any purposes that are related to the mega. If you heard this from someone, then that person was mistaken, didn't have all the facts, or may have been making a joke about it as many of the locals do. I cannot stress enough how we would never even remotely entertain the idea of going over a cache owner's head to do something to their cache(s).

Our discussion about the caches on that trail is limited specifically to those people who are interested in helping out with us using that trail for a planned satellite event related to the mega. That event has not been submitted yet as our discussions with the owners of the caches on that trail is still a work in progress, as is the details of the satellite event. In fact, the actual event itself has nothing to do with the actual caches on the trail. But as a side affect of the event, people would be caching in that area so we wanted to contact cache owners as a courtesy to insure there were no issues. If you haven't been contacted about your caches, then it's likely because either 1) Your caches are not affected by the event's plans or 2) We simply haven't gotten to you yet. Yes, we did contact Hillbilly Bob about his caches, and yes he is interested in archiving them for our satellite event. That does not however translate into us forcing anyone to archive anything on that trail. We know you have caches on that trail and you would have been contacted by someone on the planning committee as to what you wanted to do. If you want to keep them there, then great. We are happy to support that. We are not interested in forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do with their caches. You are the owner of your caches and fully entitled to do what you want with those caches. If your interests work with ours, then we work together. If not, then we modify our plans to insure it doesn't conflict with your caches.

In the future, if you have questions or concerns about anything related to the mega, you are more than welcome to post them to the mega specific forum on here, use the website contact link, or for that matter, email us directly. You know all of us on the committee and we are more than willing to discuss any concerns or issues you might have.

Lastly, I don't know if a moderator would be in agreement, but this really does seem like a topic that is more suited to the M3 - Maritime Mega Moncton forum. If it is possible, I'd request this thread be moved there. Thank you.

Thank you for the clarification! I agree that this probably belongs in your sub-forum.

We know you have caches on that trail and you would have been contacted by someone on the planning committee as to what you wanted to do.

This, in and of itself, is really inappropriate.

Maybe so, but is a far cry from the knee-jerk, sky is falling, reaction from the OP

I suppose that depends on whether the thread topic is the forced archival of geocaches that are "in the way" of someone else's plans, or whether the thread topic is specifically about this instance, related to this mega event.

Anyway, FWIW, while I wouldn't take kindly to a forced (or even requested) archival of my cache, I would appreciate a heads up from the mega event organizers. Depending on the cache and its location, I might want to retrieve and temporarily disable the cache a week before the mega event, and then put it back and re-enable it afterwards.

I suppose that depends on whether the thread topic is the forced archival of geocaches that are "in the way" of someone else's plans, or whether the thread topic is specifically about this instance, related to this mega event.

Anyway, FWIW, while I wouldn't take kindly to a forced (or even requested) archival of my cache, I would appreciate a heads up from the mega event organizers. Depending on the cache and its location, I might want to retrieve and temporarily disable the cache a week before the mega event, and then put it back and re-enable it afterwards.

Yes, if that is why the M3 group is contacting people with caches on the trail (as a courtesy notice) I think that's a good thing. I would do what you suggest niraD - disable and retrieve until the mega event is over. I get worked up over dozens of cut n paste logs and the watering down of our FPs, when in our area large groups come through hunting for quick smilies. Possibly hundreds of email notifications with cut n paste logs, no one giving fav points because they can't remember which cache was which, would send me over the edge.