How to "unsmiley" a cache?

JessicasDaddy

I work with a nearby nature preserve to create and maintain their geotrail. As part of that responsibility I also have access to their geocaching.com account. Prior to my gaining access to that account, the previous "geocache manager" had logged a find with it, specifically to GC1VPED. That person never actually found that cache; I think it was a sort of "test run". Once I gained access to that account, in the interest of accuracy I deleted the log entry on that cache.

However, geocaching.com still thinks that it's a found cache for that account — sort of. It doesn't show up in the "found geocaches" list, it's not counted in the statistics, it doesn't show up in the geocache log list, and if I go to the cache page there's no smiley there — just the green "Log geocache" button. But when I look at the map of the area that cache shows up with a smiley on it.

Is there any way I can "unsmiley" that cache? Or is this just another bug in the system?

I think bug.

I would contact the help center while logged in to that account and ask them to resolve it.

Thanks. I filled out a bug report and was told that it may be a delay in the system. Given that it's been about 8-9 months since I deleted the log, I doubt that. Waiting to see what Groundspeak says about that now.

I think bug.

I would contact the help center while logged in to that account and ask them to resolve it.

Well, it turns out the issue was given to the engineering team who, rather than to address the "unsmiley" issue, decided to delete an "Attended" log that I had written for an event cache that we had set up. So now, in addition to the "unsmiley" issue still existing, they've now deleted a legitimate log.

Way to go, Groundspeak.

Edited by JessicasDaddy