Found but not listed on map

douglama

Hi all

Found a cache "eclipse" gum tin under a light pole mount, but not listed on the map in the location I found it in.

Is there another list of caches that may list this cache?

douglama

We don't talk about other listing services. :ph34r:

Perhaps it was placed but not yet published here.

WHAT did you use to find it?

GPS or phone app.

IF an app, WHICH app?

Groundspeaks free/trial app does NOT show all caches, it picks which ones to show you.

The cache could even be a Premium Member Only cache, and you are a basic member, so none of the apps will show it to you.

IS it shown on the map on a computer?

PMO caches are shown, if you zoom out enough.

OR.

Could be the final of a multi or puzzle cache, not yet published, Archived, or listed elsewhere...

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I found it by chance. I witnessed someone placing an object under a light pole base about 3 years ago, and had assumed it was a way of buying and selling drugs. My curiosity finally got the better of me last month as I was walking home from a community meeting that would take past this location. So I found it, took it home and opened it to find a little book with names and dates. That's when I made he connection to geocaching , thus taken me to here.

Location where found is at the corner of Diagonal Rd and Morphett Rd Oakland's Park South Australia.

Latitude: -35.011919 Longitude: 138.540761

I found it by chance. I witnessed someone placing an object under a light pole base about 3 years ago, and had assumed it was a way of buying and selling drugs. My curiosity finally got the better of me last month as I was walking home from a community meeting that would take past this location. So I found it, took it home and opened it to find a little book with names and dates. That's when I made he connection to geocaching , thus taken me to here.

Location where found is at the corner of Diagonal Rd and Morphett Rd Oakland's Park South Australia.

Latitude: -35.011919 Longitude: 138.540761

This one sounds like it could be it, based on what you're describing:

Tell'em They're Dreamin'

That's it. I guess I should put it back now.

why was it not shown on map?

You may as well keep it, as the cache was archived back in 2012.

It still could be listed on another geocaching listing service, there are more than just geocaching.com (which just happens to be the market leader). It even could be a private game piece, not listed anywhere in public. Theoretically...

Is there something on it that identifies it? A GC-code would specify it as a geocaching.com-listed (and if matching, the archived one). Another code would be a pointer to another listing service.

If no identifier is given and it's a simple lamp post cache and the string of logs in the book ends around 2012 then most probably it isn't listed anywhere else and the owner just hasn't retrieved it after archiving and thus it's just geo-litter any responsible cacher should take care of and remove.