Need new GPSr/nothing fancy/cheap/used?

I haven't bought a new GPSr since 2008 and it was used. It's a Garmin Venture or something. It's not paperless. I don't like using my phone, but it's my only paperless choice.

Any cheap, no frills ideas?? I'm okay with used as long as it's reliable used. Loved the one I bought used at TigerGPS, even came with a warranty.

Thanks in advance! :D :D :D

What kind of phone do you have? And what caching app(s) have you tried?

Me - Samsung - C:geo. I haaaaaaaaate it. Not the app as much as the GPS. Used to have iPhone - Groundspeak

Hubby - iPhone - Groundspeak

The GPS is bad on both, but especially my Android. It's awful. Bad. Rotten. Super bad. Plus I don't want to pay extra for the data. We already pay a ton a month. The GPS in my handheld Garmin is awesome!

You don't have to use data on the phone. You can load the caches and maps while you are on WIFI for offline use. No different than a handheld.

If you really want a handheld, what is your desired budget?

What?!! You just rocked my world. I have no idea how to do that, but that's cool! Still comes with the crummy GPS, though. No data???

Not sure, how much are cheap GPSrs nowadays? Haha! Or I could set up a gofundmyhobbybecauseimpoor.com account. Jk.

One option is a bluetooth GPS that you pair to the phone, like the Garmin GLO. Other wise, any current model Garmin handheld does paperless.

I have not used c:geo, but it looks like it will work fine. I'm sure VP is an Android expert and can provide info on apps...

http://www.cgeo.org/

Stored caches together with offline map files or static maps can be used to find caches without an internet connection (e.g. when roaming).

Pulling out info one little bit at a time... What model Samsung? What I'm driving toward is, is it a recent model that does a good job with the satellites? My 2013-vintage Nexus gets 20+ satellites on a typical day, with - in my experience - accuracy as good as my trusty old Garmin. Earlier phones, not so much. Remember the hate dumped on people hiding caches with early iPhones?

If your phone is good with the satellites, then it's just a matter of an app. On my Android I'm fantastically happy with Locus, but be warned, there's a big learning curve because there's a lot in there. Notice the ratings. And yes, you can use it completely offline to save data.

Trouble is, hubby uses iOS. Different ecosystem, and I have NO idea what to recommend there. No Locus on that side. (Do the Groundspeak apps even work the same between the platforms?)

Anyway, I'm no Android expert (but thanks), though I know I've found a solution that works well for me. In general, I understand there are apps on both sides that can work fully offline.

EDIT: Guess I should've read your post more carefully. Okay, GPS in the phone is crappy, never mind. But maybe, before giving up on that idea completely, consider double-checking with a GPS status app. Maybe the app-that-should-not-be-named wasn't using it correctly, or something.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Not sure, how much are cheap GPSrs nowadays? Haha! Or I could set up a gofundmyhobbybecauseimpoor.com account. Jk.

You can find deals if you look hard enough and wait for holiday sales. For example, I bought a Garmin Oregon 600 for $220 back in May when REI had it on sale for over 40% off retail price. In general, expect to pay around $200, give or take, even for an older unit. The Oregon 450 and 62s are still popular, even though they are discontinued.

I got my Etrex 20 (w/Glonass) last year for under $150 after taxes/shipping. I read a lot of reviews in the forums before deciding on that unit. Garmin has come out with an upgraded version (Etrex 20x) and also a touchscreen version (Etrex Touch 25) since then and so I'd expect original Etrex 20's to be available at sale prices, especially with the upcoming holiday sales.

Actually, GPS Nation has the upgraded 20x for $158 and the 20 for $170 (free shipping). Not sure why they priced the 20x lower than the 20. Hhmmm. Link here. I'm not familiar with this website, so I have no knowledge of how good/bad they are. Just noting it as an example.

One option is a bluetooth GPS that you pair to the phone, like the Garmin GLO. Other wise, any current model Garmin handheld does paperless.

I have not used c:geo, but it looks like it will work fine. I'm sure VP is an Android expert and can provide info on apps...

http://www.cgeo.org/

Stored caches together with offline map files or static maps can be used to find caches without an internet connection (e.g. when roaming).

This level of technological information is above my pay grade. And explains why I still use paper sometimes. Duly noted, though, for when I go looking for a new GPSr. Thanks!

Pulling out info one little bit at a time... What model Samsung? What I'm driving toward is, is it a recent model that does a good job with the satellites? My 2013-vintage Nexus gets 20+ satellites on a typical day, with - in my experience - accuracy as good as my trusty old Garmin. Earlier phones, not so much. Remember the hate dumped on people hiding caches with early iPhones?

If your phone is good with the satellites, then it's just a matter of an app. On my Android I'm fantastically happy with Locus, but be warned, there's a big learning curve because there's a lot in there. Notice the ratings. And yes, you can use it completely offline to save data.

Trouble is, hubby uses iOS. Different ecosystem, and I have NO idea what to recommend there. No Locus on that side. (Do the Groundspeak apps even work the same between the platforms?)

Anyway, I'm no Android expert (but thanks), though I know I've found a solution that works well for me. In general, I understand there are apps on both sides that can work fully offline.

EDIT: Guess I should've read your post more carefully. Okay, GPS in the phone is crappy, never mind. But maybe, before giving up on that idea completely, consider double-checking with a GPS status app. Maybe the app-that-should-not-be-named wasn't using it correctly, or something.

Samsung Galaxy Edge, it's brand new.

How can I tell how many satellites I get??

I think I'm doing something wrong with the GPS then. I just used it from the app and it is always many, many, MANY feet off base. Do I need to adjust something or maybe use a different app? Does GPS status app mean I need to download another GPS to my phone?

So I need to find an "offline app"? I don't just use Groundspeak's or whomever's? (pretty sure those are made up words)

If anyone is offering a GPSr/Apps 101 class, I would be super happy to sign up for it. I'm clearly way in over my head. I'm way more right brained than left.

You can find deals if you look hard enough and wait for holiday sales. For example, I bought a Garmin Oregon 600 for $220 back in May when REI had it on sale for over 40% off retail price. In general, expect to pay around $200, give or take, even for an older unit. The Oregon 450 and 62s are still popular, even though they are discontinued.

I can definitely wait for sales (been using the same GPSr since 2008) so that's a great idea! Santa, are you listening??!

I got my Etrex 20 (w/Glonass) last year for under $150 after taxes/shipping. I read a lot of reviews in the forums before deciding on that unit. Garmin has come out with an upgraded version (Etrex 20x) and also a touchscreen version (Etrex Touch 25) since then and so I'd expect original Etrex 20's to be available at sale prices, especially with the upcoming holiday sales.

Actually, GPS Nation has the upgraded 20x for $158 and the 20 for $170 (free shipping). Not sure why they priced the 20x lower than the 20. Hhmmm. Link here. I'm not familiar with this website, so I have no knowledge of how good/bad they are. Just noting it as an example.

Wow, thanks for all the great examples! I'll be checking them all out!

Simplest way (camel's nose in the tent) might be to just download Locus Map Free, then go to the satellites screen. (Tap the compass icon at top of screen, then swipe sideways or tap "GPS".) Like a Garmin, it'll show a series of vertical bars to represent the satellites it sees. Hopefully a lot of 'em.

So I need to find an "offline app"? I don't just use Groundspeak's or whomever's? (pretty sure those are made up words)

I think Groundspeak's apps work offline if you want them to. Some of the others do too.

I do almost all my caching in offline mode, because I'm a skinflint when it comes to data. Pre-load vector maps, pre-load some PQs, ready to go. Yeah, it takes a little while to figure out...

Simplest way (camel's nose in the tent) might be to just download Locus Map Free, then go to the satellites screen. (Tap the compass icon at top of screen, then swipe sideways or tap "GPS".) Like a Garmin, it'll show a series of vertical bars to represent the satellites it sees. Hopefully a lot of 'em.

I think Groundspeak's apps work offline if you want them to. Some of the others do too.

I do almost all my caching in offline mode, because I'm a skinflint when it comes to data. Pre-load vector maps, pre-load some PQs, ready to go. Yeah, it takes a little while to figure out...

Hm... not sure I'll understand all this so I might have to stick with my quill pen and parchment paper! :D

You can find good deals on Amazon and Ebay for used GPS models. Read the descriptions and return policies very carefully and stay from older serial port models. Reason: Many current laptops do not have a serial port. Don't know if it was mentioned, but the REI Etrex 30X Bundle is only $200.00 till 11/23. You get US 100K maps, a case and best of all you will have a warranty from a really good company. Good luck with your decision.