Downloading GPX files to Magellan Meridian

I am trying to get my PQ files onto my Meridian with no luck. I can not connect my GPS directly to the computer due to not having a serial port, so I am trying to copy the files to an SD card and then load into the GPS.

I did a search and got found out about Vantage Point. I downloaded that and then I imported the GPX files into VP and exported them to a .GS file and .WPT. Then copied to SD card and tried to load it on the GPS. The GPS then said No files available (or something to that effect).

Any ideas?

Vantage point will not transfer geocache data to a Meridian file, but can create Meridian WPT files from regular waypoints.The Meridian has a working memory that holds waypoints that are accesable, and can store files on the SD card that are not accessible until moved into the working memory. You can transfer from your computer directly to the working memory with a program such as EasyGPS (through the serial cable.)

You can create a waypoint file from a PQ of geocache data in the program: GSAK. The maximum number is 500 in the file created and then copy to the SD card. The file extension is irrelevant for Meridians. Install the SD card then go into the "card Utilities" after pushing the menu button. Save your waypoints in the working memory to a file, or delete them, or leave them. Then transfer another waypoint data file from the SD card to the working memory.

Edited by EScout

Ok I am a complete dumba**. I can't figure this out. :rolleyes: I've downloaded GSAK and opened my GPX file. I see all the caches on the screen but I can not figure out how to get them to my Meridian???? I've tried exporting them, making different types of file names etc. Each time I copy the file to the SD card and insert it into the GPS then go to "card utilities" and "load Wp/Route" but no files show up. arrrrhhhhhhh.

I can get the GPX open in GSAK but can't get any further. EScout...help!

Ok I am a complete dumba**. I can't figure this out. :rolleyes: I've downloaded GSAK and opened my GPX file. I see all the caches on the screen but I can not figure out how to get them to my Meridian???? I've tried exporting them, making different types of file names etc. Each time I copy the file to the SD card and insert it into the GPS then go to "card utilities" and "load Wp/Route" but no files show up. arrrrhhhhhhh.

I can get the GPX open in GSAK but can't get any further. EScout...help!

The Meridian does not accept GPX files. Period. They have to be translated to the Meridian format. GSAK can send the waypoints directly to the GPS. From there you can save those waypoints to a file on the SD card while it is installed in the GPS. Make sure you have the GPS set to the NMEA v2.1. Baud rates must match which means you're going to have to find the settings on the Meridian and match it on GSAK. You must set your PC and your GPS receiver to the same baud rate. If the computer does not have a serial port, you're going to need the USB to serial emulator cable. You can then set up the Com port this emulator takes over to the correct baud rate the GPS is set to. I've had failure at anything above 9600 baud. Also, if you are having problems, be sure to disable any PDA synchronization software that may be running.

Clear the GPS memory of the waypoints or save them to the SD card, then clear it. You have to filter 200 caches or less at a time. Transfer to the GPS, save the waypoints to a specific file on the SD card, then clear the memory again to start the whole process again. Bear in mind, the name has to match the 8.3 convention. That is the name cannot be more than 8 characters long dot 3 characters long. e.g. 12345678.123 Anything longer is truncated.

I used to have step-by-step but have since retired my Meridian and deleted a lot of the files to make room on the PC.

Good luck!

Totem has a good description of transferring from GSAK to the working memory, which requires a serial connection.

If you want to transfer to the SD card, do this in GSAK:

File>Export>Magellan Explorist and SD Card. In the window that appears, choose this format: Magellan Protocol (SD Card). In the waypoint name and description boxes,, choose %code if you want the geocache number, and %smart for the geocache name. Name the file anything you want with any extension in the 8.3 format. This will create the file to copy to your SD card as described in my earlier post.

Once you have files on the SD card, you can transfer one or more to the working memory, but only a total of 500 waypoints/caches will be there.