Need help with etrex 20

lgush

My etrex 20 was working fine but recently started giving me the message "no geocaches found" even though I downloaded them successfully and I can see the GPX files on there when I open it on my computer. Why isn't it seeing the geocaches anymore and how do I fix it??

Try this "Garmin" trick:

1] Shut down the unit;

2] Remove the SD card;

3] Re-boot unit and allow it to settle in;

4] Shut the unit down again;

5] Re-insert SD card;

6] Re-boot unit.

Your loaded geocaches *should* magically appear again. A known bug with Garmin units.

EDIT to add: Only IF you are loading to an SD card.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

If Bear and Ragged's suggestion didn't work, try this :

1. Connect eTrex 20 to computer

2. Copy all the GPX files in the GARMIN\GPX folder to a folder on your computer

3. Delete all those GPX files on the eTrex 20

4. Eject, disconnect.

5. Power up. Wait for it to settle. Power down.

6. Connect eTrex 20 to computer

7. Copy the GPX files from the computer back to your eTrex 20

8. Eject, disconnect, power up the eTrex 20

It's similar to what Gitchee-Gummee suggested, but for files in the unit's main memory.

@lgush

Are you confused? SD card = memory chip

If you're downloading to the 'memory chip' follow GGs advice.

I can't eject the "memory chip" like an SD card. It is imbedded in the unit. It can only be locked and unlocked. But thanks for your post.

4. Eject, disconnect.

It's similar to what Gitchee-Gummee suggested, but for files in the unit's main memory.

This worked! Thanks so much to everyone for the help.

On my Oregon 450 and 300 there's a clip that can be slid up and down to physically hold the microSD card, if inserted. If no memory card is inserted, moving the switch has no effect on anything, of course. That's probably what the OP meant by locking it.

Glad the issue is resolved. This happens on my Oregon occasionally, when it fails to start up properly after I loaded in new GPX files.

My etrex 20 was working fine but recently started giving me the message "no geocaches found" even though I downloaded them successfully and I can see the GPX files on there when I open it on my computer. Why isn't it seeing the geocaches anymore and how do I fix it??

I hope this doesn't happen while you're "in the field" as it has to me. I now make it a habit before leaving the house to power up my units (all my units) to make sure the caches I downloaded appear when I press "find". I'm glad you got it resolved.

I hope this doesn't happen while you're "in the field" as it has to me. I now make it a habit before leaving the house to power up my units (all my units) to make sure the caches I downloaded appear when I press "find". I'm glad you got it resolved.

It happened to me once in the field. Not so bad these days, with a smart phone available, but it completely messed up my caching for that day that time it happened.

After that, I always power up the unit immediately after loading caches into it to verify that they load properly. Occasionally, the unit would start reloading the GPX files even though I did not add new GPX files to it - but at least so far it hasn't caused any issues. Loading onto a micro SD card also makes it easy to reboot the sucker in the field (using Gitchee-Gummee's technique above).

It happened to me once in the field. Not so bad these days, with a smart phone available, but it completely messed up my caching for that day that time it happened.

After that, I always power up the unit immediately after loading caches into it to verify that they load properly. Occasionally, the unit would start reloading the GPX files even though I did not add new GPX files to it - but at least so far it hasn't caused any issues. Loading onto a micro SD card also makes it easy to reboot the sucker in the field (using Gitchee-Gummee's technique above).

Funny thing is... I use a Delorme, not a Garmin! Have never had that problem, just saw the solution previously here in the forums.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

... I now make it a habit before leaving the house to power up my units (all my units) to make sure the caches I downloaded appear when I press "find". I'm glad you got it resolved.

That's no guarantee. I used to do the same thing, but still had the error message when I got to the field a couple times. With memory cards so cheap, everyone should use one instead of the internal memory. So easy to fix in the field that way!

4. Eject, disconnect.

This worked! Thanks so much to everyone for the help.

Had a similar issue with my Etrex 20, where new PQ results were not showing up in GPSr, even though geocaches from previously loaded PQ's were appearing correctly. Followed the steps outlined by Chrysalides and everything seems to be working normally now.

Thanks!

My Etrex20 has done the same thing. Even tho I thought I checked it after loading the caches, I get in the field and have zero caches on the GPSr. This time it happened where I was closer to home to go fix it. I spent probably and hour trying to get a fix and finally found this one. I tried Gitchee-Gummee's suggestion. Didn't work. Tried Chrysalides suggestion and it worked.

My irritated and frustrated question is: What mad it happen in the first place.?

I usually download caches with the send to GPS button on map or send to my GPS button on caches page with no problems. This time I loaded some caches and those showed on the GPSr map but all the old ones were gone.

SIIIGGGGHHHHHH

Peacefrog77

I suspect there are several possible causes for the geocache index corruption problem. I know one thing that has caused it on my Oregon 550 on occasion is when I have added waypoints from the Oregon menu, for example when putting in the next stage of a multi. All the caches were showing, then BOOM, all gone after adding a few waypoints.