Garmin eTrex20 and membership

Geo_TAJ

I bought a Oregon 600 recently, and is using the Send GPX To Device function from geocaching.com for the few caches I visit. But it's tedious when I have to transfer each cache individually, and I don't get a cache description or hint being non-premium member. So I'm thinking of upgrading the membership and using GSAK.

The bottom line is that you may be able to live with the restrictions of non-premium membership, but it depends on your usage, as sussamb writes.

/Mogens

I used to use Garmin communicator plugin to download caches individually to an etrex20 and it was great (logs, hints, descriptions) but it has stopped working in IE and I'm spending a lot of time trying to find a work around. I would not by an etrex20 now since it is discontinued and the plugin doesn't work anymore.

I used to use Garmin communicator plugin to download caches individually to an etrex20 and it was great (logs, hints, descriptions) but it has stopped working in IE and I'm spending a lot of time trying to find a work around.

Since you're a premium member, using pocket queries is a more efficient way to get caches on to your GPS.

Since the plugin no longer works correctly, simply click "GPX file" and then manually copy the GPX file to the GPS (that's all the plugin did anyway).

I would not by an etrex20 now since it is discontinued and the plugin doesn't work anymore.

The OP indicated they were interested in the eTrex 20x, which is the updated version of the eTrex 20 and has not been discontinued.

I have an eTrex 20 (3 years old) and a iMac. Works like a charm Use Safari as my browser. I'm a premium member so I can make a bookmark list of the caches I want to find, make a PQ out of the list and download ir to my HD. Hook up the eTrex and drag the GPX file onto the GPX folder. Of I want to load single files I just do the send to GPS button with the eTrex attached. The garmin program works like a charm. I think the problem is with your browser and/or Windows. With the premium membership all the info is on the GPS except photos, but id they are necessary,they can be loaded onto the GPS seperately.

I would not by an etrex20 now since it is discontinued and the plugin doesn't work anymore.

The plugin issue is the same for all models. I really wish Groundspeak would just remove the Send to GPS option altogether and just provide the simple alternate instructions for doing the same thing with the GPX File button. There's an awful lot of people struggling with something that is extremely easy to do without.

The eTrex20/30 is a great series, and if discounted appropriately or purchased used, would have a very good bang for the buck. Most of the time, one step below the 'latest and greatest' can be a great value spot.