What to get?

migolnet

Hey!

I'm looking for a handheld GPS for my geocaching trips. For last year I used my phone for it, but I think it's time to move on to more proper tool. What I hated about my phone and really want to address:

-bad forest GPS reception

-battery lasts like 3 hours

-any wetness and it's juggling to keep it safe from water.

I would like to get one of Garmin units since one foot into their ecosystem with vivosmart.

From what I've read, it's either GPSMAP 64 or Oregon 650. I don't mind camera and I might go for cheaper Oregon 600, but it might come handy in rain.

What would be best unit for me? Any tips?

Also:

-money is not an issue, I don't have to cut costs

-sunlight readability seems to be standard in Garmin, but it's important for me

-I can deal with some problems when getting data into it (I'm a GSAK user, it makes everything easy)

-I don't like slow equipment

Another vote for the 64S if it comes down to a mix of reliability, battery life, and operation in poor weather conditions (buttons).

Caveat: If you are going to be entering a lot of waypoints or data by hand, or searching for a lot of addresses using Open Street Maps, etc., the touch screen models do those tasks very well.

The Oregon 600 series has been out for a while now, but still has firmware and stability issues. I'd check out the Wiki before making a purchase: https://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com