Brainstorming some ideas for another cache.

ham fam

Just bouncing some ideas here, and I don't have any experience projecting waypoints or sight and go.

But, if I give coordinates to the cacher, and instruct them to travel a distance at a given direction; then from that stopping point, project another waypoint and so on to the final, would this would be acceptable and not break any rules.

Now here comes the twist, can the "projected waypoints" be closer than 528 feet, since they aren't really waypoints, with a physical container or anything?

Thoughts?

I'm not looking to ruffle any feathers here, just wondering what protocol is?

If you keep projecting as you go from waypoint to waypoint, then errors will add up, possibly ending up way off from the intended ending waypoint.

I tried a cache near me where I had to project 3-5 times (it's years back...) and I ended up quite far from the intended ending waypoint.

/Mogens

I've found a number of offset multi-caches where I collected information at the posted coordinates to get a distance and bearing, and then traveled the indicated distance and bearing to get to the cache location. Typically, the information at the posted coordinates comes from an existing sign/monument/statue/whatever, so the posted coordinates do not count against the saturation guideline.

Aren't Mystery/Puzzle caches banned for a year?

No, "?" caches are still an option.

The moratorium was placed on new Challenge Caches, a type of "?" cache.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

1.23. Challenge Cache Submissions Moratorium

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=675

1.22. Challenge Caches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

Please note: Beginning April 21, 2015, a one-year moratorium is in effect on all new "challenge cache" submissions. This includes cache submissions that contain optional challenges. It does not impact previously published challenge cache listings.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

1.21. Multi-Caches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=559

1.21. Multi-Caches

updated 2 October 2015

Definition: Multi-Caches involve visiting multiple locations (stages). There must be at least 1 stage in addition to a physical final container with a log book. The listing coordinates are for the first stage of the Multi-Cache. At each stage, the finder will get information that leads them to the next stage or to the final container. With the cache description and the listing coordinates, a geocacher should be able to complete a Multi-Cache in the field.

Stages can be Physical or Virtual:

Physical Stages: The cache owner has placed something at the location, such as a container, tag, or label. There is no minimum distance between stages within a single Multi-Cache.

Virtual Stages: The cache owner has not placed anything at the location. Instead, a geocacher gathers information from features already at the location, such as a sign or objects to count. Virtual stages can be used to bring geocachers to locations where leaving a physical stage is difficult or not allowed.

A Multi-Cache May Involve:

A container or object that provides coordinates

A formula for converting information found at stages to coordinates or clues

Counting objects at one of the stages

Simple arithmetic

Simple ciphering (example: A=1, B=2)

Multiple choice questions about something at the location

A simple field puzzle

A projection (using a compass bearing and distance from a specific point to determine the location of another specific point, usually a stage or final)

Should it be Listed as a Multi-Cache or a Mystery/Puzzle Cache?

If a cache has multiple stages (virtual or physical) and can be found by reading the cache description and following the instructions in the field, it should be listed as a Multi-Cache.

If working out the clues requires advanced work or is so complex that many will need outside assistance, then the cache should probably be listed as a Mystery/Puzzle Cache, even if it is multi-staged.

If the listing coordinates are used to calculate a projection without the need to visit the location, it should be listed as a Mystery/Puzzle Cache.

If a projection must be calculated in the field using bearing and distance from one of the stages, it can be listed as a Multi-Cache

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Here's an example of an old cache with a series of bearings and distances. Listed as Multi.

It was archived after some of the cache owner's point indicators (US quarters) disappeared, but it wasn't really unsolvable, even with markers missing. The thing could be solved from home, and a few people understood that and did it.

Text from cache page:

Point one will be the coords listed on the cache.

From point one- Go 102 feet at 145 degrees to point 2

From point two- Go 68 feet at 210 degrees to point 3

From point three- Go 88 feet at 195 degrees to point 4

The cache box is at point four.

Your best chance is to find the points before going to the next point. A guess will not get you there!

Points number one, two, and three are twenty-five cent pieces attached to trees at about two feet from ground.

Cache owner had placed something at each point of projection, but he didn't have to.

Image below shows how to get the final coords without finding any of his quarters.

5b76b363-10d2-45eb-981d-50988a210d3a.jpg

-----

People will often state, "you need a compass for this", or "you need to know how to project a waypoint". Typically, neither statement is true. If I'm "here" and you tell me to go from "here to there" at X bearing and X distance, I just walk away from "here", using the original GoTo, at the reverse bearing for X distance. I don't need a compass, and I don't need to "project a waypoint".

If there are multiple projections, once I'm "there", I mark a waypoint, use it as my goto, once again walking away from it using a reverse bearing and the distance you provide.

As deepo has mentioned, both angle and distance errors will creep in - especially if distances are large.

d4a62db1-9dc9-40fd-9abe-c10865231182.jpg

Edited by palmetto

Here's one example of a mystery cache we have using a similar idea of what you describe.

It doesn't matter too much, but I'm confused how one would solve your mystery. Wouldn't you need a map that shows coordinates and is accurate for measuring distances? The only way I could see doing that is by physically wandering around the park with a GPS in hand. What am I missing? Sorry for my ignorance.

Hi ham fam, it's fairly straight forward using your GPS and projecting points. First convert the given Bearings to Azimuths. Go from point to point.

So the map your using is your GPS. Doh! Interesting...this might be useful.

Do all GPSr's have this option? Including the low end models?

Hi ham fam, it's fairly straight forward using your GPS and projecting points. First convert the given Bearings to Azimuths. Go from point to point.

So the map your using is your GPS. Doh! Interesting...this might be useful.

Do all GPSr's have this option? Including the low end models?

Yes, all Garmin units anyway.