Do you have to leave your coin?

purplemoon48030

Ok, i'm still new to this hole thing and seem to be F-----g up all over the place. befor you ask, yes i have been reading on the how to do things.

My question is do you have to leave your coin in a cache. Can you leave a picture of the front and back in the box, I like my coin and don't want it stolen. Not pointing the fingure at anyone. Just cautious. :)

thanks

Edited by purplemoon48030

Never release anything into the wild you are not willing to lose. If you prefer you can take your coin to events or cache outings and share it there. People can log 'Discovers' for having seen it.

Side Note: this is a family forum, watch your language even when using hyphens---.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Welcome!

Just a suggestion, but due to the rather strict Forum Guidelines, I would recommend refraining from using dashes in place of letters when posting on these Forums. The Moderators are fairly adept at filling in the blanks.

Concerning the coin, what you are suggesting is sometimes called a "proxy", and for the most part, the practice is frowned upon by the majority of the Community. Nonetheless, there are still a small fraction of Cachers that take part in that sort of activity. In general, it's kind of disappointing to open up a cache, expecting to find a nice coin, based on the Inventory list on the cache page, and find a picture of a coin and not the real thing.

My suggestion would be to keep your coins safe at home, and share them at Events if you're that worried about losing them.

Just a quick thought provoking argument from someone who only releases real coins.

Once you release a coin you will no longer ever see it again. If the coin is stolen you still won't see the coin again. If it doesn't get stolen you won't see the coin again.

My point is that one you release a coin your connection to it only comes from the logs that it generates. You will find that the logs on a real coin vs a proxy are much more satisfying. And you still won't ever see the coin again.

Can you leave a picture of the front and back in the box, I like my coin and don't want it stolen.
Many of the "proxy" laminated paper coins are what's left after the coins have been stolen. So the proxy lives on (tracking numbers are reusable). And you know the owner probably feels sick about losing the coin -- although, it's unlikely he'd ever see the coin again once released, even if it stays in circulation (as webscouter mentioned).

I placed some of my coins, not expensive or spectacular ones, and I sorta defaced them with my initials. Maybe it adds a little interest to the game to find a hefty "real" coin, and I just thought I'd see for myself how long they live. No big deal.

I agree with the previous posts -- if you don't want to lose it, don't place it in a cache. Except an Event Cache. :)

Edited by kunarion

Just a quick thought provoking argument from someone who only releases real coins.

Once you release a coin you will no longer ever see it again. If the coin is stolen you still won't see the coin again. If it doesn't get stolen you won't see the coin again.

My point is that one you release a coin your connection to it only comes from the logs that it generates. You will find that the logs on a real coin vs a proxy are much more satisfying. And you still won't ever see the coin again.

Lies. I am returning a coin to a fellow Geocacher this weekend (he is coming to Korea from Japan) and in January when I am back in the US some cachers are coming from Califorina to Arizona to get a coin of theirs that I found and have.

The chances are that you won't see it again but if you contact some one who has your coin they are sure to return it.

Lies. I am returning a coin to a fellow Geocacher this weekend (he is coming to Korea from Japan) and in January when I am back in the US some cachers are coming from Califorina to Arizona to get a coin of theirs that I found and have.

The chances are that you won't see it again but if you contact some one who has your coin they are sure to return it.

OK so maybe I should have said almost never. :)

But in your case you just add another reason to release real coins. I doubt many folks would go out of their way to visit you and return a proxy coin. So you get to meet several other cachers that you might not have meet otherwise.

Still a plus

As a premium member, how many times have you run PQs looking for TBs and geocoins, only to find them missing from the caches? About 90% of the time in Metro Detroit. So, that's likely the fate of whatever you put out there. It has been the fate of every TB I've ever put out there.

I've seen one or two proxys that looked pretty good. They were sharp photographs cut to size and placed inside a protective plastic geocoin case. I actually thought they were geocoins at first. But most proxys don't look that good.

Personally, I've never cared much for proxys. But then I started thinking about TBs. A TB is simply a NUMBER on a tag, associated with WHATEVER you want to chain it to. It COULD even be a picture of something, for example, your geocoin! So, in a way, a proxy is form of TB, except that the tracking number is in the picture rather than on a little metal tag. Either way, there is a tracking number.

So, send out a proxy if you want to , just don't expect a lot of OOOHs and AAAAHs from it.

I think the idea of proxies is silly. Either send out a coin or hang onto it. When I see them I don't log them because I didn't find the coin.

There is one thing I do like about proxies. I'd love to see the frustration in the face of a coin thief when he hikes out to the cache thinking he's got a new coin for his collection, only to find a piece of paper. Priceless.

Like Michigansnorkelers I have seen some good proxies, high resolution, glossy photos glued to an appropriately sized washer or metal disk and sealed in the protective plastic coin case. They had the look and feel of a geocoin. I had to look closely before I realized I was looking at a proxy and not the real coin. Still, I didn't bother logging them because I didn't find the real coin.

Edited by briansnat

I think the idea of proxies is silly. Either send out a coin or hang onto it. When I see them I don't log them because I didn't find the coin.

There is one thing I do like about proxies. I'd love to see the frustration in the face of a coin thief when he hikes out to the cache thinking he's got a new coin for his collection, only to find a piece of paper. Priceless.

Like Michigansnorkelers I have seen some good proxies, high resolution, glossy photos glued to an appropriately sized washer or metal disk and sealed in the protective plastic coin case. They had the look and feel of a geocoin. I had to look closely before I realized I was looking at a proxy and not the real coin. Still, I didn't bother logging them because I didn't find the real coin.

I've seen a proxy that was made by taking a double sided photo of the original coin, laminating in epoxy resin (I guess that would make it an epoxy proxy) then had a hole drilled in it so that it could be attached to a laminated (in plastic) card which provided the owner information and a goal for the coin. I've only released one coin myself, one that I got as a FTF prize, and I think it made it to 2 caches before it went missing.

I've seen a proxy that was made by taking a double sided photo of the original coin, laminating in epoxy resin (I guess that would make it an epoxy proxy) then had a hole drilled in it so that it could be attached to a laminated (in plastic) card which provided the owner information and a goal for the coin. I've only released one coin myself, one that I got as a FTF prize, and I think it made it to 2 caches before it went missing.
Some people do place a photo proxy "coin", after their real one has vanished. It's a form of denial (or maybe it's "acceptance", not sure which), but it's just a way to work through loss. It's also a cool way to thumb one's nose at the thief. If I do that, I'll probably place it as a GHOST epoxy proxy, though I haven't decided which of my coins are gone yet.

I logged a proxy "paper coin" once (I've only ever seen one). Some people throw them away when they find them in a cache (I don't agree with everything other cachers do). But it just adds to the confusion to find a paper "trackable" item. So I'd suggest don't do proxy coins (except as a tribute to a lost coin, as mentioned). Keep your real coin if you don't want to lose it, and you can still pass it around at cache events.

Edited by kunarion

This is the first time i've heard of a proxy, and i'm not sure if i'm in love with the idea. I guess whatever floats the coin owners boat.

I don't like the idea of tossing them out when you find them though. Speaking from the mindset of the coin owner, the goal of the coin (or in the case of the proxy, the coin's tracking number) is to see it moving, and as mentioned above, you look forward to the logs and to see where it gets to go. I personally wouldn't like someone to rain on my parade and throw out my proxy just because it wasn't the $15 coin, especially if i spent a considerable amount of time doing my best to make it resemble the coin as much as possible.

If it were me, i'd just keep it, or set it free and hope for the best.

I have a number of proxy items in circulation as replacements for geocoins which have disappeared. I only release them once the real geocoin has been missing for at least a year. Instead of trying to make a fake geocoin I try and find some other interesting item that will represent what it was. I also think it's important to make it clear in the name that it's no longer a real geocoin.

Hawaii or bust... (A geocoin proxy postcard)

Don't forget your pen! (A real pen now, not a geocoin)

Bling Ring (Faux gems and a Faux geocoin)

MrsB

I've put a proxy out in circulation and I don't expect ooh's and ahh's in the logs and I never expected to see either version again, I still want it to travel. The real coin made two cache stops before being pocketed. While the chance that either the real coin or the proxy might realize its goal is hopelessly small, IF it does, the person recieving it won't care one iota whether it's a real coin or not.

OK, so when his coin is stolen, then is it OK to reliese a proxi. What if he does better than a laminated paper, what about a wooden nickle? I am thinking of doing a wooden nickle proxi for one of my stolen coins. Not sure if it would work though... I kind of think someone will just think it is a signature item, and pocket it.

Instead of trying to make a fake geocoin I try and find some other interesting item that will represent what it was. I also think it's important to make it clear in the name that it's no longer a real geocoin.

MrsB,

Where did you put the tracking number to your items (such as the ring or pen)? The postcard looks good -- seems to have moved a lot farther than the original coin did. I know I'll eventually try something similar for my coins. As Andronicus mentioned, the "proxies" will need to be especially clear about being trackables (not collectible).

Instead of trying to make a fake geocoin I try and find some other interesting item that will represent what it was. I also think it's important to make it clear in the name that it's no longer a real geocoin.

MrsB,

Where did you put the tracking number to your items (such as the ring or pen)? The postcard looks good -- seems to have moved a lot farther than the original coin did. I know I'll eventually try something similar for my coins. As Andronicus mentioned, the "proxies" will need to be especially clear about being trackables (not collectible).

I just create a tag out of white card, about 2" x 1", printed with "Trackable at geocaching.com" and the tracking number on one side and "This is not a swap!" on the other. Then I laminate it (using the low-tech method of a laminating pocket, a thin hankerchief and a medium hot iron) and use a simple, small split ring/key ring to attach it. Sometimes a generous blob of strong glue is needed to seal the link or to fix it tight.

The postcard I bought off Ebay, then wrote all the details on it and laminated it.

It's quite fun trying to think up something interesting that relates to the original geocoin, or its mission... I'm a bit concerned about my "Porsche 911 Write-off" - I fear it may have been nicked again...

MrsB

I have seen one proxy, and I just sent it along on its journey, as if it was the real thing.

I want mine to travel, but I have only the one, and I like it. I have resigned myself that it will travel only with me, so I dip it into the caches I find. It does have some mileage on it after having gone to GA with me, and it will go cruising to the Caribbean with me in January.