Hiding my first cache

lee0405

Here is the link to the main hiding page.

Oh and you probably need the UK one. I don't know where to get that one.

Also I see you've been caching since 2012 but only a few finds spread out over that time, while you are thinking about hiding a cache make sure you read and reread the guidelines, think about what caches you liked to find so you can hide ones like it, and keep finding caches.

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

ive been a member for a while now and thought its time that i hide a cache of my own can anybody point me in the right direction on how to post it thanks

UK-wise > https://wiki.Groundspeak.com/display/GEO/United+Kingdom

UK Geocaching Wiki

The new UK Geocaching Wiki now contains lots of information about placing caches, including guidelines, map resources, where you need specific permission and help on where to apply.

It is a very important resource for UK geocachers.

Written, updated, by the UK Reviewers.

All links relevant to caches being placed in the UK.

Do you have to complete a certain number of caches before you can plant your own? It wont let me plant one!

Worth reading the guidelines.

As you are in the UK,this > is a decent link https://wiki.Groundspeak.com/display/GEO/United+Kingdom and includes links to the relevant UK info. :)

(And, whilst there is no "You must find XX caches" it does suggest 20 or so...

Not being able to list a new cache now, could be related to other problems the site is having))

Do you have to complete a certain number of caches before you can plant your own? It wont let me plant one!

Don't you maybe want to play the game awhile as a finder before you take on the responsibility of owning a cache? Because is IS a long term proposition. There are thousands of abandoned caches out there placed by brand new players who got all excited about the game and hid some caches their first week, then got bored and moved on to something else,,leaving their caches to deteriorate.

Not saying this would be you, just something to think about. I'm sure all those 1-week wonders swore on Day 1 that they would play this game forever.

Besides, it helps as a hider if you've got a variety of finds under your belt before you create one....right now you've only got, what, 8 finds? Give yourself a chance to experience a good variety of what's out there. It will give you some ideas, and more importantly it will give you some knowledge of what works and what doesn't....what makes a good container, what kind of caches you like to find, how important (and tricky) it is to provide accurate coordinates. Just give it a little time, you're still in the honeymoon period right now 😉

But to answer your question, no, there isn't a minimum number of finds you must have to be allowed to hide one.

Just wait for the moment when you get this brilliant idea about what kind of a cache you want to make (traditional, multi or mystery etc) and what its theme will be. The more caches you find, the more inspiration you'll get. After having found my first 50 caches, I thought geocaching was about hiding a lunchbox or a film container....I couldn't have been more wrong!

It's important to think about your cache very well and put some proper effort in placing the container(s) but also in setting up your cache page. You need to ask yourself some questions, like do you wanna buy a container or make it yourself? If so, how creative can you be, what tools and materials are you gonna need? Is there a story you want to tell through your cache or do you want to honour a special place? Can that place (plants around it etc) handle all those geocachers who will come looking for your treasure or is it better to choose a different location? It's recommended to be critical of your work, double-check everything before you let it be reviewed to make sure it's all on its place. Fine-tune. It can come handy to have a friend geocacher proof-walk your cache before you publish it. Good luck!

ive been a member for a while now and thought its time that i hide a cache of my own can anybody point me in the right direction on how to post it thanks

We were in the same spot as you, the site seems to miss the BASIC STEPS.

Here they are:

1) Go to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/default.aspx

i2) In the right hand column, click "create a geocache" button

3) If you already know where you want to/ or have hid it...look on the right hand side again "Already know your hiding spot?" and click that.

4) this leads you to a new page, you will click "traditional geocache" on the left.

5) then this brings up the coordinates page. Type in the GPS coordinates in ANY format to locate it on the map. Any iPhone or Android has an Ap for GPS coordinates you can download for free.

6) after this step you create a write up for your cache.

7) it has to be reviewed for some reason, make sure you click 'submit'!

Just wait for the moment when you get this brilliant idea about what kind of a cache you want to make (traditional, multi or mystery etc) and what its theme will be. The more caches you find, the more inspiration you'll get. After having found my first 50 caches, I thought geocaching was about hiding a lunchbox or a film container....I couldn't have been more wrong!

It's important to think about your cache very well and put some proper effort in placing the container(s) but also in setting up your cache page. You need to ask yourself some questions, like do you wanna buy a container or make it yourself? If so, how creative can you be, what tools and materials are you gonna need? Is there a story you want to tell through your cache or do you want to honour a special place? Can that place (plants around it etc) handle all those geocachers who will come looking for your treasure or is it better to choose a different location? It's recommended to be critical of your work, double-check everything before you let it be reviewed to make sure it's all on its place. Fine-tune. It can come handy to have a friend geocacher proof-walk your cache before you publish it. Good luck!

I couldn't disagree more with this.

If you are new, place whatever you like, wherever you like! You DO NOT need to find 20-50 items before placing something! e

If you get into it more, then you will naturally want to get more creative and hint driven. It seems if you are an 'expert' you will enjoy looking over 2 sq feet for hours and not finding anything...or maybe something so camouflaged and microscopic only the truly gifted or stupid or lucky will find it. For most of us that isn't really all that fun.

Start hiding something basic and fun that YOU enjoy. Don't worry about it.

If you are new, place whatever you like, wherever you like! You DO NOT need to find 20-50 items before placing something! e

If you get into it more, then you will naturally want to get more creative and hint driven. It seems if you are an 'expert' you will enjoy looking over 2 sq feet for hours and not finding anything...or maybe something so camouflaged and microscopic only the truly gifted or stupid or lucky will find it. For most of us that isn't really all that fun.

Your opinion is wrong. How can I say that? Because you don't understand why it's suggested to have finds before placing a cache. When you place a cache there are certain guidelines to follow. You are encouraging someone to do something in which they don't have the experience to know how to do.... And it affects others as well. It affects us as finders, and if for example the cache is buried it can affect the game big time. Place what you want where you want? A piece of paper ripped from a note book underneath a rock is not ok. I honestly don't think with 4 finds that your advice has any experience to back it up.

People suggest finding many different types of geocaches, not just many geocaches. Finding 500 film cans only tells someone what a film can looks like, it's not better than finding one film can. By find many different caches, you see what works- what's waterproof, what's not. How well camo'd they can be, or how they can be a LnL 5 feet from a busy sidewalk. How annoying a cache in a spruce tree can be. How something that may seem like an amazing idea has been done, and over done, like a cache under a lamp post skirt. You also see what you like, and what others like, so you can hide caches like that. You also start to notice things- things like geocaches aren't buried. Geocaches can only be so close to another one. That there are some areas where there aren't geocaches, when the whole area around is packed with them.The first two are the in the guidelines here, and the third may represent a place where the landowner doesn't want caches.

You also get to know if your into the game- if your gonna think it's cool for a month or two then never come back to geocaching, you just left that cache to turn into trash. Thats not fair to others- someone may want to place a good cache that they will take care of there but can't. People will find the cache with a wet logbook because there's nobody to take care of it. New cacher will find the abandoned cache, or the crappy cache placed by someone with 6 finds and either be turned off geocaching by it, or think that's what caches are supposed to be, then hide the same thing themselves.

Telling someone to do what they want when they want is like handing a 10 year old the keys to your car. Sure they may happen to be good drivers, or know a couple things like ted means stop, green means go, but they would t be very good drivers. There's a reason we don't do that- and not just driving, many things. But for some reason it's ok to do it with geocaching?

Remember the big thing here- it affects others as well. The reviewer who wastes time because the cache is 150 from another when the person didn't read the guidelines. The finders- those who have to find crappy caches because the CO didn't have the experience. The new cachers who find these caches and think that's what geocaching is. Even the hiders time and energy in placing the cache only to have to move it because they didn't have the experience.

Honestly I'd rather turn someone off because they don't want to do a good job than encourage them to do something that's not in anyone's best interest,

Edited by T.D.M.22

These 2 posts show that you don't understand geocaching at all.

You don't understand why cache submissions need to be reviewed? And yet you tell someone else to hide whatever they want, wherever they want? :blink:

Some people should not be allowed to post "advice" to newbies in the Getting Started forum, that's quite clear. <_<

Here they are:

3) If you already know where you want to/ or have hid it...look on the right hand side again "Already know your hiding spot?" and click that.

4) this leads you to a new page, you will click "traditional geocache" on the left.

5) then this brings up the coordinates page. Type in the GPS coordinates in ANY format to locate it on the map. Any iPhone or Android has an Ap for GPS coordinates you can download for free.

B.

Your opinion is wrong. How can I say that? Because you don't understand why it's suggested to have finds before placing a cache. When you place a cache there are certain guidelines to follow. You are encouraging someone to do something in which they don't have the experience to know how to do.... And it affects others as well. It affects us as finders, and if for example the cache is buried it can affect the game big time. Place what you want where you want? A piece of paper ripped from a note book underneath a rock is not ok. I honestly don't think with 4 finds that your advice has any experience to back it up.

People suggest finding many different types of geocaches, not just many geocaches. Finding 500 film cans only tells someone what a film can looks like, it's not better than finding one film can. By find many different caches, you see what works- what's waterproof, what's not. How well camo'd they can be, or how they can be a LnL 5 feet from a busy sidewalk. How annoying a cache in a spruce tree can be. How something that may seem like an amazing idea has been done, and over done, like a cache under a lamp post skirt. You also see what you like, and what others like, so you can hide caches like that. You also start to notice things- things like geocaches aren't buried. Geocaches can only be so close to another one. That there are some areas where there aren't geocaches, when the whole area around is packed with them.The first two are the in the guidelines here, and the third may represent a place where the landowner doesn't want caches.

You also get to know if your into the game- if your gonna think it's cool for a month or two then never come back to geocaching, you just left that cache to turn into trash. Thats not fair to others- someone may want to place a good cache that they will take care of there but can't. People will find the cache with a wet logbook because there's nobody to take care of it. New cacher will find the abandoned cache, or the crappy cache placed by someone with 6 finds and either be turned off geocaching by it, or think that's what caches are supposed to be, then hide the same thing themselves.

Telling someone to do what they want when they want is like handing a 10 year old the keys to your car. Sure they may happen to be good drivers, or know a couple things like ted means stop, green means go, but they would t be very good drivers. There's a reason we don't do that- and not just driving, many things. But for some reason it's ok to do it with geocaching?

Remember the big thing here- it affects others as well. The reviewer who wastes time because the cache is 150 from another when the person didn't read the guidelines. The finders- those who have to find crappy caches because the CO didn't have the experience. The new cachers who find these caches and think that's what geocaching is. Even the hiders time and energy in placing the cache only to have to move it because they didn't have the experience.

Honestly I'd rather turn someone off because they don't want to do a good job than encourage them to do something that's not in anyone's best interest,

Ok let me edit, hide something you like and enjoy...within the placement guidelines.

But hide what you personally find interesting, and no you don't need to find 50+ to get the hang of it.

Can't learn if you don't try.

Remember, it's a game.

Edited by Sycamore5

These 2 posts show that you don't understand geocaching at all.

You don't understand why cache submissions need to be reviewed? And yet you tell someone else to hide whatever they want, wherever they want? :blink:

Some people should not be allowed to post "advice" to newbies in the Getting Started forum, that's quite clear. <_<

Here they are:

B.

+1

Ok let me edit, hide something you like and enjoy...within the placement guidelines.

But hide what you personally find interesting, and no you don't need to find 50+ to get the hang of it.

Can't learn if you don't try.

Remember, it's a game.

It's a game played with numerous others, who invest their money (in equipment, food, gas, etc.) and free time in hope of having a pleasurable day.