Oregon 450 Pocket Queries

sintonsurfer

I have been geocaching for several years now and have been happily downloading my pocket queries to my gps but recently I've not been able to do this. The new ones are unzipped and extracted and say they have been downloaded, but I can't find them on my gps. I also have some local caches I want to delete and they just won't go. I delete them but they just come back again! I desperately need help as my other half throws a wobbly every time I try to sort it!

I assume you just take the two files from the PQ (xxxx.gpx and xxxx-wpts.gpx) and copy them to the /Garmin/GPX folder in the Oregon (main memory)? Or, are you using some third party software (like GSAK) to do this?

Whichever method, do they appear in the folder when you look at it on the PC? If the files are there what do you get on the Oregon when you look in the Geocaches menu? Anything or nothing?

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

I have been geocaching for several years now and have been happily downloading my pocket queries to my gps but recently I've not been able to do this. The new ones are unzipped and extracted and say they have been downloaded, but I can't find them on my gps. I also have some local caches I want to delete and they just won't go. I delete them but they just come back again! I desperately need help as my other half throws a wobbly every time I try to sort it!

I use the same GPSr. If you can describe your exact steps I can try to duplicate. Mine works fine.

Graculus - yes it's on the Garmin folder on my laptop but not on my GPS when I search geocaches.

Chrysalides - The steps I take are:

Attach GPS to laptop (!); close down all the GPS windows that open; open pocket query email; click on 'download now'; open with Win RAR; OK; (folder highlighted) extract to; garmin oregon; garmin; gpx; current; ok.

I'm just hoping it's not the gpx that's gone wrong - or maybe I've just upset the settings.

Thanks for your interest.

Graculus - yes it's on the Garmin folder on my laptop but not on my GPS when I search geocaches.

Chrysalides - The steps I take are:

Attach GPS to laptop (!); close down all the GPS windows that open; open pocket query email; click on 'download now'; open with Win RAR; OK; (folder highlighted) extract to; garmin oregon; garmin; gpx; current; ok.

I'm just hoping it's not the gpx that's gone wrong - or maybe I've just upset the settings.

Thanks for your interest.

You may be going too far!

extract to; garmin oregon; garmin; gpx;

(The Current folder is also in there, don't put the files in it!)

http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/files/paperless_garmin.pdf

Pocket queries don't work for me neither. I wonder why I pay the premium price for something that doesn't work

Well, the OP was given an answer that helped resolve the problem she was having.

"Pocket queries don't work" doesn't give anyone enough info to try and help you.

What are the steps you are taking, JustJackMN, to create the pocket queries? What operating system are you using?

The more details, the better.

An edit to add links to the Help Center section about Pocket Queries:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=28

And Markwell's page:

http://markwell.us/pq.htm

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Reading this stuff is no help as everyone uses words and terms that are foriegn to me. Now, if some one would sit with me and talk me through it, that is a different story.

PupPatrol was doing just that.....asked what your process was for attempting to create a Pocket Query and what computer operating system you are using. And also posted a link to the directions for creating a Pocket Query.

There are plenty folks here who want to help, but you have to help us to help you.

Edited by Chief301

Reading this stuff is no help as everyone uses words and terms that are foriegn to me. Now, if some one would sit with me and talk me through it, that is a different story.

Keep the query as simple as possible. Select the cache type or types you are interested in finding and the type of container. It is easy to select options in "that" which cancel out the search criteria, so I usually just seek caches that I have not found and are enabled. "And" or ""within" can be blank. The search location should be self explanatory - different people like to search using different starting points but I usually choose a particular cache or zip code. To start with, leave all the other options blank. Submit the information, if the preview looks good, then select a day for the query to run and download it when it is ready.

If you are able to create a simple pocket query, you will have to transfer it to your gpsr or caching app. That is where more information, such as your operating system, app, or gpsr would help.

I agree that if you're not familiar with the terminology, it is no help reading through past posts. That is not what Pup Patrol asked you to do, however.

Let's start with what is the problem. You said that it does not work for you.

Do you have a pocket query created?

Is it returning you the result you asked for?

Can you download it?

Can you transfer it to your GPS receiver?

Are the caches showing up on your GPS receiver?

If you tell us which step it failed at, we can help you get past that, and see if it breaks at a later stage.

Pocket query created. I guess it is giving what I ask. Must not be downloaded as it does not go to my GPS.

After a PQ is created, you need to schedule it to run. This is one of the things that irks me slightly, that there is no "run this now and give me a GPX" button. So go to http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx and click on the checkbox that represents the current day of week and the PQ you created. Wait for about 5 minutes, you should receive an email. On that email should be a link that says "Download PQ". Click on that. You will be downloading a ZIP file.

If you've already gotten to this part, let me know. I'll continue describing what you need to do.

Okay i just got the email this morning that the pocket query is available to load. Who wants to come over and show me how?

If you're serious about a personal tutor, go attend a local event.

Otherwise :

1. Click on the "download" link in the email. It will start downloading using your default browser. Save the file. It is a ZIP file.

2. Once it has finished downloading, open the ZIP file. Windows can open this automatically. There will be either one or two GPX files in there. It will look something like 12345678.gpx and 12345678-wpts.gpx. The second file contains the additional waypoints. Let's ignore it for now.

3. Copy the 12345678.gpx (number will be different, obviously). Go to your Downloads folder. Paste it there.

4. Connect your Garmin. Wait for the dialog to appear (it can take a couple of minutes). Select "Open Folder to View Files".

5. In the new dialog box, go to Garmin folder, then GPX folder

6. Drag the file from your Downloads folder and drop it in the GPX folder.

7. Safely remove device, unplug, turn on your Garmin and wait for it to load.

The instructions are for Windows 7. If you're using a different operating system and need detailed instructions, let us know what it is. If you're stuck at any of the steps, let me know what error you see and I'll try alternate instructions.

Okay i just got the email this morning that the pocket query is available to load. Who wants to come over and show me how?

If you're serious about a personal tutor, go attend a local event.

Otherwise :

1. Click on the "download" link in the email. It will start downloading using your default browser. Save the file. It is a ZIP file.

2. Once it has finished downloading, open the ZIP file. Windows can open this automatically. There will be either one or two GPX files in there. It will look something like 12345678.gpx and 12345678-wpts.gpx. The second file contains the additional waypoints. Let's ignore it for now.

3. Copy the 12345678.gpx (number will be different, obviously). Go to your Downloads folder. Paste it there.

4. Connect your Garmin. Wait for the dialog to appear (it can take a couple of minutes). Select "Open Folder to View Files".

5. In the new dialog box, go to Garmin folder, then GPX folder

6. Drag the file from your Downloads folder and drop it in the GPX folder.

7. Safely remove device, unplug, turn on your Garmin and wait for it to load.

The instructions are for Windows 7. If you're using a different operating system and need detailed instructions, let us know what it is. If you're stuck at any of the steps, let me know what error you see and I'll try alternate instructions.

The same instructions work for me on a Mac. Very easy to do, and I don't do things well on these things :rolleyes:

Hi

It's me again with another query. I am trying to download three pocket queries. One has downloaded all right, but the other two haven't. I've checked I've been doing what you told me last time! I was just wondering if I was trying to download too many caches. I see that the maximum for a pocket query is 500, but one of my queries has given me the choice to have more. Also I've found that you can download up to 5000 caches (and my three queries don't exceed that) but not how many pocket queries you can have at one time.

I'd be really grateful for your help - again!

Thanks.

Hi

It's me again with another query. I am trying to download three pocket queries. One has downloaded all right, but the other two haven't. I've checked I've been doing what you told me last time! I was just wondering if I was trying to download too many caches. I see that the maximum for a pocket query is 500, but one of my queries has given me the choice to have more. Also I've found that you can download up to 5000 caches (and my three queries don't exceed that) but not how many pocket queries you can have at one time.

I'd be really grateful for your help - again!

Thanks.

PQ= 1,000 caches.

You can have 10 PQ's a day.

Any limit will be on your GPS.

eg Number of caches, number of gpx files, and a size limit.

It is possible to hit one limit, before you hit any of the others...

The usual limit to hit first is the number caches (when loaded as single gpx files.) Hence the use of PQ's the get more caches in a lower number of gpx files.

How many caches does/should your GPS hold?

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Gosh, that was a quick reply! I gather it should hold 5000 caches on the gps or memory card, which I don't have. There are 1,850 caches in my three pqs.

The queries show up when I look at the folders on my laptop, but the caches don't appear when I scroll on the gps to check they're there.

Looking at the manual to check how many caches my gps would hold, I realised that it should have a memory card. I checked and there wasn't one there. However, miraculously, I found a micro card on the floor (no idea how it got there) which obviously came out of my gps (again no idea how). So, to cut a long story short, I have downloaded the pq's direct to the micro and they appear to be on the gps. I have just spent a happy half hour or more scrolling through the caches and checking some of them with the map of the queries on the laptop. They appear to be there. I'll be in touch if they aren't when I try to find them!

Thank you so much for responding and pointing me in the right direction (lol!).