Magellan Communicator Plug-in

IamCJ

I cannot download ANY caches into my new Magellan Explorist CG. (I only have basic membership, but that shouldn't matter). I have tried to download/install the Magellan Communicator Plug-in for Windows on two separate computers and I still cannot download a cache on either. The Magellan screen continues to show the Connected to PC screen and that is all.

The preloaded Magellan caches are all 26 miles or more from my home coordinates, and I KNOW there are dozens and dozens within 5 miles!

What think ye? Any ideas for help appreciated

Are you downloading the GPX files or the LOC files? You need the GPX files for this device

Interesting. I think you may be able to drop LOC files into it, but not in the "Geocache" folder, and it'll still work. I do have a Explorist GC around, and I do have a non-premium sock puppet account used to place a few caches a few years ago, and could do some testing, but I'll be out golfing and caching on Father's Day tomorrow. Anyone else have any input? :)

P.S. EDIT: Is the "send to GPS" Magellan Communicator only set up for .GPX files? I can't answer that, but it's very possible.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Are you clicking on the "send to GPS" button on the cache page? The window that pops up defaults to DeLorme on my system, and I have to hit the Magellan tab. You should get a "download successful" message.

I had issues installing the communicator - had to first show that the GC was my primary device, and log out of GC.com and then back in. Should have easier, I reckon!

Oh, while the unit is connected to the computer, all you will see is the "connected to computer" message. It is only after you unplug and select geocaches on the GC that you can see what has been loaded.

Are you downloading the GPX files or the LOC files? You need the GPX files for this device

That's not true. I've dragged and dropped LOC files in to the Geocache directory on my Magellan Explorist GC without any issues. I refuse to use the Magellan Communicator until they fix all the usability bugs.

Never had any problems as far as bugs go. I have the same unit, and you can download .LOC files but they appear in the waypoints section. I thought you need to be a premium member to directly download GPX files to a GPSr. If so that would be the problem right there. or as someone else said when you get the pop-up box after you click "send to GPS" make sure Magellen is selected and not Garmin or DeLorme

That's not true. I've dragged and dropped LOC files in to the Geocache directory on my Magellan Explorist GC without any issues. I refuse to use the Magellan Communicator until they fix all the usability bugs.

Never tried. Why would I want .LOC files? :P I was rushed, and didn't have it in front of me, but I would have figured the Waypoints folder, not the Geocache folder. Check it out though, I'm quite certain they fixed the Magellan Communicator for all platforms a few weeks ago. Really, check it out! :)

Never tried. Why would I want .LOC files? :P I was rushed, and didn't have it in front of me, but I would have figured the Waypoints folder, not the Geocache folder. Check it out though, I'm quite certain they fixed the Magellan Communicator for all platforms a few weeks ago. Really, check it out! :)

Don't quote on which folder. I'm going by memory from when I first got my GC and played around with it a bit. I could have been the waypoints folder but I don't remember ever using that folder. I use PQs and drop them in the Geocache folder.

If Communicator is finally working seamlessly with the Geocaching website then I'll have to check it out. Although I'm happy with the drag and drop method and the direct download method. I'd hate to add extra steps to the process unless I got some benefit from the extra steps.

Please.....Can anyone tell me how to make the Magellen Communicator work so I can upload caches into my GPS?? .. In terms for Dummies would be great!!! I have been looking over the Magellen info/requirements etc.. I have what I need but am getting no where in trying to make the dam thing work! Any help would be much appreciated..~thanks~!

Please.....Can anyone tell me how to make the Magellen Communicator work so I can upload caches into my GPS?? .. In terms for Dummies would be great!!! I have been looking over the Magellen info/requirements etc.. I have what I need but am getting no where in trying to make the dam thing work! Any help would be much appreciated..~thanks~!

Make sure your Magellan GPS is selected as your primary device in your profile. Once the communicator is downloaded, you need to log out of geocaching.com, then log back in again. If that doesn't work - it didn't for me - I logged out, closed all Windows, and restarted my computer. That got it to "take." You need patience, that's for sure!

Be sure to select Magellan on the tab before you download, it may default to another product.

Good Luck, and let us know if you need further help!

Make sure your Magellan GPS is selected as your primary device in your profile. Once the communicator is downloaded, you need to log out of geocaching.com, then log back in again. If that doesn't work - it didn't for me - I logged out, closed all Windows, and restarted my computer. That got it to "take." You need patience, that's for sure!

Be sure to select Magellan on the tab before you download, it may default to another product.

I'm having the same problem. Caches were dl ing happily until about a month ago, then? nothing. I've dl communicator several times, being careful to sign out and restart my computer each time. Still - nothing. I use "Send to my GPS" and the correct window pops up, but instead of highlighting the dl button, it tells me it can't find the communicator ??????? Any suggestions??? HELP!!! please.

Well...first of all, I checked my profile to see that my Magellan showed up as the primary GPS.. it used to be very obvious but it does not show ANY Gps in my Profile and I can't see where to add one??? I can't imagine what happened that would have made that either invisible or deleted it?? First of all I guess I need to change that first... any suggestions how to do that??

Thanks

Well...first of all, I checked my profile to see that my Magellan showed up as the primary GPS.. it used to be very obvious but it does not show ANY Gps in my Profile and I can't see where to add one??? I can't imagine what happened that would have made that either invisible or deleted it?? First of all I guess I need to change that first... any suggestions how to do that??

Thanks

I can't find it either, nor which GPS I am using now...and I KNOW I entered that. Maybe things have changed? It used to be that I would click on my user name and it was in the column on the right. Which browser are you using? I seem to recall that some folks had better success with Firefox than with any other. I wish I could help more.......we need The A Team!! The cacher using that name is very knowledgeable, and would help out, I am sure. You could contact him through his profile.....

Edited by popokiiti