Help with Garmin 78sc

Hi there, I recently received a Garmin GPSMAP 78 sc as a birthday present, and while I am super excited about having a real GPS unit, until now I have only ever used the app on my iPhone so I am not very familiar with all the lingo. I have been looking quite a bit online for information, but I thought it might be worth asking this community (since I will mostly be using it for geocaching anyway) for any tips, or if there is anything I should know.

Thanks!

Interesting choice of units. Are you a boater?

It may sound funny, but the first piece of advice is to not think of it working as does your phone (app). It doesn't, so it may be a little frustrating if you try to think about your app usage while trying to learn the GPSr. Block out thoughts of how the app works while you are trying to learn the unit.

Probably the handiest source of information will be the (full) manual: http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GPSMAP_78_OM_EN.pdf .

Not many electronic devices come with a manual anymore but the link above is free and downloadable.

The mapping in this unit includes COASTAL waterways and features, as well as a world-wide BASE map.

You will probably want to add some better mapping as BASE maps show only major roadways but little else. Coastal charts do you little good unless you are a boater.

This unit will do anything and everything that other current-generation Garmin units will do, with one additional feature -- it floats!

That is good, if you drop it into still water... not-so-good if you drop it into a fast-flowing stream.

You will probably want to learn Pocket Queries, if you don't use them now. This link is a by-the-numbers instruction to create a pocket query (PQ): http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118 .

This allows you to load any number of geocaches from 1 to 1,000 in a single shot. You can do such 10 times/day.

A very good tutorial on loading the PQ data to the unit: http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/files/paperless_garmin.pdf .

Geocaches can be loaded individually to the unit, but as of late, a lot depends upon what type computer and browser you are using. Some browsers are problematic when trying to use Garmin Communicator. Some are quirky in using Communicator, some refuse to allow its use at all.

Loading PQ data directly from the computer to the unit DOES NOT require Communicator or browser usage at all, so learning pocket queries and loading techniques are a good thing to know. Both of those supplied links should get you going.

If not... well, just come back and ask, but do be specific when asking. General questions usually generate general answers.

Good Luck, and enjoy.

Thank You so much for the advice. I thought it was an interesting choice too, but it was a gift and I am determined to figure it out! That last link you posted was super helpful! And it helps to know that it has coastal maps, because I will probably be using those most anyway. So far I think I'm getting it, I will just have use it some more to get familiar with it.

Thanks again, you rock!

Interesting choice of units. Are you a boater?

It may sound funny, but the first piece of advice is to not think of it working as does your phone (app). It doesn't, so it may be a little frustrating if you try to think about your app usage while trying to learn the GPSr. Block out thoughts of how the app works while you are trying to learn the unit.

Probably the handiest source of information will be the (full) manual: http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GPSMAP_78_OM_EN.pdf .

Not many electronic devices come with a manual anymore but the link above is free and downloadable.

The mapping in this unit includes COASTAL waterways and features, as well as a world-wide BASE map.

You will probably want to add some better mapping as BASE maps show only major roadways but little else. Coastal charts do you little good unless you are a boater.

This unit will do anything and everything that other current-generation Garmin units will do, with one additional feature -- it floats!

That is good, if you drop it into still water... not-so-good if you drop it into a fast-flowing stream.

You will probably want to learn Pocket Queries, if you don't use them now. This link is a by-the-numbers instruction to create a pocket query (PQ): http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118 .

This allows you to load any number of geocaches from 1 to 1,000 in a single shot. You can do such 10 times/day.

A very good tutorial on loading the PQ data to the unit: http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/files/paperless_garmin.pdf .

Geocaches can be loaded individually to the unit, but as of late, a lot depends upon what type computer and browser you are using. Some browsers are problematic when trying to use Garmin Communicator. Some are quirky in using Communicator, some refuse to allow its use at all.

Loading PQ data directly from the computer to the unit DOES NOT require Communicator or browser usage at all, so learning pocket queries and loading techniques are a good thing to know. Both of those supplied links should get you going.

If not... well, just come back and ask, but do be specific when asking. General questions usually generate general answers.

Good Luck, and enjoy.