New to GPS-help

tegaan1

I just bought etrex 20. I have no idea how to download geocaches into it. I am using a Mac as the computer. Can someone please walk me through the steps? I am not very tech savvy. I am getting very frustrated can someone please help?

Thanks, Kari in BC

You're a premium member, so you could use the technique I use.

I download cache data to my eXplorist (via my Mac) using pocket queries. Markwell's PQ FAQ is useful: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Here are the steps I follow. Something similar should work for you

• Create a PQ, but don't run it.
  • Preview the PQ to make sure it does what I want it to do. If not, adjust the criteria until it does.
  • Choose day(s) to run the PQ (including today, if I want the data soon).
  • After the PQ runs, download the PQ to my Mac.
  • Double-click on the ZIP file that I downloaded, then open the directory that is extracted.
  • Plug my eXplorist into the USB cable to connect it to my Mac. Make sure it is on and connected.
  • Open the desktop folder for my eXplorist.
  • Copy the GPX files from the PQ ZIP file to the eXplorist. The nnnnnnnn.gpx file goes in a geocaches folder, and the nnnnnnnn-wpts.gpx file goes in a waypoints folder.
  • Unmount the eXplorist folder, then disconnect the eXplorist form the USB cable.

You're a premium member, so you could use the technique I use.

I download cache data to my eXplorist (via my Mac) using pocket queries. Markwell's PQ FAQ is useful: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Here are the steps I follow. Something similar should work for you

• Create a PQ, but don't run it.
  • Preview the PQ to make sure it does what I want it to do. If not, adjust the criteria until it does.
  • Choose day(s) to run the PQ (including today, if I want the data soon).
  • After the PQ runs, download the PQ to my Mac.
  • Double-click on the ZIP file that I downloaded, then open the directory that is extracted.
  • Plug my eXplorist into the USB cable to connect it to my Mac. Make sure it is on and connected.
  • Open the desktop folder for my eXplorist.
  • Copy the GPX files from the PQ ZIP file to the eXplorist. The nnnnnnnn.gpx file goes in a geocaches folder, and the nnnnnnnn-wpts.gpx file goes in a waypoints folder.
  • Unmount the eXplorist folder, then disconnect the eXplorist form the USB cable.

That should work with the eTrex 20 except both files from the ZIP file go in the GPX folder which is in the Garmin folder.