question about maps on Garmin Etrex 20

I have heard that base map on the etrex 20 is no good and that I have to buy about $100 more worth of maps. Anyone that actually uses or has used this device please clarify because if this is true I do mot want to waste my money on it.

Who told you that the base map is "no good"? [Don't answer that!]

You seem to "hear" bad things about Garmin -- in this and another thread. Is what you hear from a single source?

Base maps lack desirable detail, but that hardly means they are no good.

I don't use a Garmin, not because they are bad, but because I like another brand just a bit better -- with no particular reasoning behind that.

If Garmin units are so 'bad', why are there so many in use?

True issues:

1] Garmin units (aside from "T" models) come with a world-wide base map. Now, that isn't the best map for geocaching purposes, but it is a world-wide map after all is said and done.

It's a matter of economics. To have a pre-installed detail map of the world would be cost prohibitive... both in mapping and in memory capabilities to handle that mapping. It is economically sound to provide a minimally adequate map and allow for the user (most anywhere in the world) to install maps of their own location. Very few would pay the price for something with "super"-mapping, worldwide.

2] Very good maps for Garmin units are available -- both free and priced maps. A free mapping source is already noted in the above posted response.

You mentioned Magellan GC in another thread. Not a bad unit at all. BUT -- it's full name is Magellan eXplorist GC North America (the name contains a hint). Magellan says it also has Pre-loaded Worldwide Map -- read closer and see that it says, "...complete road network in North America and Western Europe and major roads throughout the rest of the populated world..." [my enhancements]. Road networks ≠ detailed maps.

Maps are not an absolute necessity in geocaching. They are icing on the cake for sure, but many thousands if not millions of geocache "Finds" have been logged without use of any mapping at all. Good (or at least decent) mapping is relatively new to GPSr units.

I have heard that base map on the etrex 20 is no good and that I have to buy about $100 more worth of maps. Anyone that actually uses or has used this device please clarify because if this is true I do mot want to waste my money on it.

Who told you that the base map is "no good"? [Don't answer that!]

You seem to "hear" bad things about Garmin -- in this and another thread. Is what you hear from a single source?

Base maps lack desirable detail, but that hardly means they are no good.

I don't use a Garmin, not because they are bad, but because I like another brand just a bit better -- with no particular reasoning behind that.

If Garmin units are so 'bad', why are there so many in use?

True issues:

1] Garmin units (aside from "T" models) come with a world-wide base map. Now, that isn't the best map for geocaching purposes, but it is a world-wide map after all is said and done.

It's a matter of economics. To have a pre-installed detail map of the world would be cost prohibitive... both in mapping and in memory capabilities to handle that mapping. It is economically sound to provide a minimally adequate map and allow for the user (most anywhere in the world) to install maps of their own location. Very few would pay the price for something with "super"-mapping, worldwide.

2] Very good maps for Garmin units are available -- both free and priced maps. A free mapping source is already noted in the above posted response.

You mentioned Magellan GC in another thread. Not a bad unit at all. BUT -- it's full name is Magellan eXplorist GC North America (the name contains a hint). Magellan says it also has Pre-loaded Worldwide Map -- read closer and see that it says, "...complete road network in North America and Western Europe and major roads throughout the rest of the populated world..." [my enhancements]. Road networks ≠ detailed maps.

Maps are not an absolute necessity in geocaching. They are icing on the cake for sure, but many thousands if not millions of geocache "Finds" have been logged without use of any mapping at all. Good (or at least decent) mapping is relatively new to GPSr units.

What he said!

Open Street maps (OSM) are free, user updated, free, and great! Did I mention they were free? They may not look as pretty as the Garmin Topo maps but they are more up to date. And they are free!