Vicious Muggles

I noticed that a cache hidden around here had some interesting notes posted. The hide is located about 50 feet from the road in front of a driving range in a wooded area. The parking lot is a few hundred feet back, with the driving range even further back, and the page mentions that it has permission from the owner. A few recent logs indicate that it's a clever container and liked. Then there is this..

:) Found it

Really really unpleasant experience with woman in a minivan screaming at us from the parking lot that this was private property. Found quickly, signed log, and got the hell out if there. Emailed CO because if we have permission I think we need to know from whom

After receiving the previous cachers email I called _____, the owner, he said he didn't hear anything and that no one had complained about people being on the property. He is who granted me permission to place he cache.

Wow --this story keeps getting better! Later that day we DID receive a visit from the police, so she actually DID call our plate in. It is not surprising that the owner would not have heard this commotion because it all took place near GZ, which is quite a distance from the parking lot and buildings of the range. We were actually parked on the main road just to the right of the exit driveway of the driving range. The woman in the minivan was exiting the range and stopped alongside the exit driveway to scream at us and honk for a good 5 minutes that we were on private property, who gave us permission, and what was his name. That's when we realized the reason she sat there so long was because from where she was parked she could just see the back of our car on the main road and was getting our tag and calling it in.

For anyone to go to those lengths, to get that worked up -- she HAD to be an employee or someone associated with the range. Just saying that the owner has to know who this woman is because of the description we gave and the time of day (mid afternoon Sunday)

I spoke to the owner and he said he was the only person working. So, it is not an employee, probably some busy body patron who like to meddle in other people's affairs

Usually it would be assumed that the cache didn't have permission and would be archived. In this case it definitely does have permission, but someone exiting the driving range made an assumption and got irate over absolutely nothing at all. Any more stories about muggles overreacting?

Some people like to get involved where their meddling is not wanted or warranted! I don't know the story other than what I just read, but some people like to be community cops (I know a few). Maybe she has a property boundary issue that is spilling out onto others properties?!?!

This was an incident where the Other could have over-reacted, but didn't, and was really cool about the whole thing.

Restin' in Perth's TB Hotel

Here's my Needs Archived log:

Had a nice conversation about caching with the manager of the facility.

Unfortunately, he was very concerned about liability issues regarding the location of the container, alleged that there was no permission given, and confiscated it.

He asked us to let the CO know that he can be contacted by looking up the Elmwood Cemetery in the Perth phonebook and he will gladly return the container.

Some people need to act like adult tattle tales to feel big and important. Low self esteem.

There used to be this guy in my neighborhood who walked around with a German Shepard and asked me my name and if I lived in the complex. He stopped me several times on my way to the mailbox even after I told him I was an adult and that I lived there. I think he liked to harass me because I wear skateboard tees and hoodies plus I look young. I was never loud or destructive at all yet he liked to give me grief so he could feel like a big man.

Edited by DannyCaffeine

I've seen a couple caches archived by their owners because nearby neighbors became irate about people visiting "their park". At some point, it doesn't matter whether you have permission, whether your cache complies with the park's geocaching policy, or whether the irate neighbor is right or wrong. At some point, you have to ask whether this is the experience you want seekers to have when they visit your cache location.

We didn't get shouted at, but this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=971584e6-e80b-47d2-9372-0bf6e04a1e71

And then this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=a60854bb-cafe-40ac-a00a-408cd3b5e675

Has to have been the world's slowest police 'chase'. should also add that the cache we were spotted finding is in a tree at the side of a public road - not on or near private property.

Edited by StripyJules

Came across this log as I was looking at local caches:

Found it

As we found this one and put back the container, an older woman walked past us on the sidewalk. We did the geocacher nonchalance stance to keep her from seeing the container. She looked at us and said, "I know what you're doing. You're not slick. Your mama is gonna catch you. Shame on you." We looked at each other. It dawned on me that she thought we were enacting a drug drop. So I said, "We're not dealing drugs, if that's what you think. We're geocaching. I have the container right here if you'd like to see it." Without turning around, she puts her middle finger in the air and continues to walk away. I said, "Seriously, look, it's right here!" She put the finger back in the air and said nothing. We replaced the container. As fate would have it, we were walking in the direction she was heading. Eventually she stopped to cross the street, but waited. As we approached, I said, "There's another geocache right by where you're standing. I can show you that one too." I was actually determined to show her the munzee that was there because it would be easier to show the non-initiated. She put the finger upwards again! Wow! I decided it was time to defend ourselves, so I said, "You know, it's not really nice to assume things about people. We aren't doing anything negative. You should try to think more positively about people!" She immediately moved into the street, put the finger in the air one more time, and walked away. I yelled into the street, "Have a nice night!" Oh, the adventures of geocaching!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=971584e6-e80b-47d2-9372-0bf6e04a1e71

And then this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=a60854bb-cafe-40ac-a00a-408cd3b5e675

Has to have been the world's slowest police 'chase'. should also add that the cache we were spotted finding is in a tree at the side of a public road - not on or near private property.

That's interesting.

In most States in the US, there's a thing called right-of-way.

Property owners usually own (and pay taxes for) to the public road. The right-of-way is for road crews and utility workers, not public access.

Can't tell how many hides we've seen dropped directly in front of no trespassing/posted signs, like the CO thought he has a right to be there, when it was simply the only/nearest tree the owner could hang it 10' from the road.

I've seen a couple caches archived by their owners because nearby neighbors became irate about people visiting "their park". At some point, it doesn't matter whether you have permission, whether your cache complies with the park's geocaching policy, or whether the irate neighbor is right or wrong. At some point, you have to ask whether this is the experience you want seekers to have when they visit your cache location.

My husband was accosted by a woman who crossed a street (with a boulevard) and stormed across a park to tell him he was on her property.

The land he was on is part of a UNESCO World Heritage site.

She went away when he pointed that out.

Property owners usually own (and pay taxes for) to the public road. The right-of-way is for road crews and utility workers, not public access.

I kind of wonder how many people know that. It's a strange rule, in a way, that says a person's property line extends halfway into the street, even though they have so little say in what happens to that part of the property.

I kind of wonder how many people know that. It's a strange rule, in a way, that says a person's property line extends halfway into the street, even though they have so little say in what happens to that part of the property.

Yeah...

I believe if more were aware and folks actually had to ask permission for placements, a large majority of roadside micros would be canned and "vicious muggle" claims would drop.

- Just a few days ago my neighbor called and asked if I'd go to the roadside of her property with her, as a lady was pulled over, cutting her planted day lilies and daiseys just before her tree line.

The lady was quick to claim public access. A notion I put to rest quickly.

On her way back to the car, the lady said now her daughter's wedding plans were ruined, as she was gonna put 'em in all the bathrooms at the reception. Noticing them the year before, she was planning this for months.

If we had a drought, wouldn't she be forced to call 1-800...? Sheesh.

Never anything "vicious", but a couple that made me a bit uncomfortable.

One documented here: http://coord.info/GLCD129W

I downplayed it a bit in the log, but his attention on me was definitely far out of proportion to the location, a simple paved trail through a park with occasional stops along the way with art or info boards. I couldn't tell if he was being confrontational, implying something lewd or just making a passing comment because he noticed me paying attention to odd things. His attention threw me off, which is why I sort of stumbled in my response...but he definitely was throwing off a 'creepy vibe' and I was glad he walked off.

And then this:

That's interesting.

Can't tell how many hides we've seen dropped directly in front of no trespassing/posted signs, like the CO thought he has a right to be there, when it was simply the only/nearest tree the owner could hang it 10' from the road.

In the U.K., it's the Queen's Highway, maintained (allegedly, though I've bottomed out down a few potholes that would tell you different!) by County Council Highways Departments, upon which everybody has a right of way unless advised otherwise, paid for through annual vehicle licensing. 'Obstruction of the Queen's Highway' is still an offence at law.

The residents who reported us didn't even live in the same road: we were in a side-street, their house some way back along the main road had a view of the cache site.

I downplayed it a bit in the log, but his attention on me was definitely far out of proportion to the location, a simple paved trail through a park with occasional stops along the way with art or info boards. I couldn't tell if he was being confrontational, implying something lewd or just making a passing comment because he noticed me paying attention to odd things. His attention threw me off, which is why I sort of stumbled in my response...but he definitely was throwing off a 'creepy vibe' and I was glad he walked off.

I've had that too...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=fb94197c-d88d-40d5-9a2f-8f5c3a1f471b

And then

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=b081ce81-96da-45e1-8d92-cad7c77b4883

My husband was accosted by a woman who crossed a street (with a boulevard) and stormed across a park to tell him he was on her property.

The land he was on is part of a UNESCO World Heritage site.

She went away when he pointed that out.

This is my new favourite "people are just incredible" story.

B.

I've had that too...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=fb94197c-d88d-40d5-9a2f-8f5c3a1f471b

And then

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=b081ce81-96da-45e1-8d92-cad7c77b4883

Hehe...you win the "creepy muggle" award!

Honestly I would have probably hit that person. People like that need to be taken down to where they belong, hopefully in front of others. Calling police and it's not even her property, that just low.

No, come on now. She's a raving lunatic, but you would be using physical violence. That would seemingly have justified her. If the police show up at my door, I would file a complaint against her for harassment, mostly due to the yelling.

I remember being all set to disappear into the bushes in a park only to realise the lady sitting on the nearby bench was breast feeding her baby. I didn't fancy explaining why I was hiding in the bushes so near to a woman breastfeeding so I retreated to a safe distance until she had finished the task at hand.

I don't think I've had any muggle incidents I'd call vicious - the closest I came was when a guy who looked like the local wino seemed unhappy at me fiddling with my bike that was propped against the railings of a park. Interestingly (given it was in a fairly exclusive part of London) he started his comments with "I stay here" rather than "I live here".

Not exactly "vicious" but this guy made us very uncomfortable once when I was out caching with my sister (2 60+ women)

Local jerk objected to our presence at the Fire Station and at this location. Claimed both were private property and threatened to call the Sheriff.

+1 I had a cache on a perfectly legal place nicely hidden in a tree. Several cachers had unpleasant experiences with a neighbor living 50m from the cache that seem to had some psychological problems. Geocaching is supposed to be fun, so I just moved the cache a couple hundred meters further where the only "neighbors" were cows & horses. Haven't got any complaint since :)

Four of us were looking for a cache about 20 feet off the road. There was a fence around a small pond and the only houses were on another street across the pond about 200 yards away. After awhile I noticed that a car that recently left one of the houses had circled around and was stopped about 100 feet away. Uh oh. We kept looking for the cache, and pretty soon the car slowly advanced toward us. At least 3 cell phone cameras were pointed our way. As they got closer, I made an attempt to talk to them, but no luck. They looked as if they had just found a group of axe murderers. I pulled out my phone and started to take their pictures and that made them mad. Oh well. I found the cache and we slowly left. They turned around and followed us until I pulled over and waited for them. They stopped and, after a short time, turned around and left. We put the axes back in the trunk and left.

"That's interesting.

Property owners usually own (and pay taxes for) to the public road. The right-of-way is for road crews and utility workers, not public acc. ess.

Can't tell how many hides we've seen dropped directly in front of no trespassing/posted signs, like the CO thought he has a right to be there, when it was simply the only/nearest tree the owner could hang it 10' from the road."

That seems strange to me here in Florida, at least this county. Unless it is in a private housing area or gated community where the roads are not maintained by the government, the county owns a certain amount of land from the centerline of the road. The default distance in this county is 30 feet from the centerline (I have worked for this county over 20 years). Of course there are exceptions but the right of way here does not belong to the peoperty owner. If the property owner "owned" the right of way, which would include the sidewak and drains, they could do what ever they wanted to it; not to mention could be held liable for anything that went bad. Also thouh, our property borders stop prior to reaching sidewaks and such our surveys and tax asessments so we are paying for acres we really don't own.

"That's interesting.

Property owners usually own (and pay taxes for) to the public road. The right-of-way is for road crews and utility workers, not public acc. ess.

Can't tell how many hides we've seen dropped directly in front of no trespassing/posted signs, like the CO thought he has a right to be there, when it was simply the only/nearest tree the owner could hang it 10' from the road."

That seems strange to me here in Florida, at least this county. Unless it is in a private housing area or gated community where the roads are not maintained by the government, the county owns a certain amount of land from the centerline of the road. The default distance in this county is 30 feet from the centerline (I have worked for this county over 20 years). Of course there are exceptions but the right of way here does not belong to the peoperty owner. If the property owner "owned" the right of way, which would include the sidewak and drains, they could do what ever they wanted to it; not to mention could be held liable for anything that went bad. Also thouh, our property borders stop prior to reaching sidewaks and such our surveys and tax asessments so we are paying for acres we really don't own.

It's the same around here (Western Washington). Out property line stops before the road, the road & ROW is owned by the city/county/state. Some of the alley's are on easements, so are part of the property (our property's legal definition includes a easement for an alley that isn't there, but the city could put one in if/when it wanted to), but roads are not included.

It really doesn't matter whether the city or nearby property owner owns it. If the property owner doesn't want it there, its disrespectful to place a cache there. The city is not going to give any kind of permission, especially if the property owner complains about it.

Yes this is true, was not saying anything otherwise: I was just replying to the ownership of the road and right of way in my county. Placing a cache on any property where it is not wanted IS disrespectful as <4wheelin fool> stated. I think we got king of "off topic" lol.

I came across this one, and it has put me off going to look for it.

Found it Found it 25/Aug/2013

We thought this would be a last quick find on our way home from Whanganui, but we were wrong! We walked across the empty paddock and into very thick bush. The track goes near the house of another farmer (his driveway has the cattle stop) and he was NOT happy we were in what he seems to regard as HIS bush, and yes we had picked some tamarillos as they were growing right in the reserve (there are masses of them.) I retreated with my kids as he had a dog going bananas which was scaring them. So half of our group kept going and found the cache, while I got stuck by the road,with my kids, being ranted at by an angry farmer telling me how rude I was not asking permission to go on the reserve. And yes, it is a public reserve owned by the council as stated in the description. I showed him the geocaching listing to try to calm him down, but still got an earful. Thought it was a real shame I wouldn't want to go back as the reserve is fantastic but very overgrown and could do with help maintaining it.

I have seen a number of caches placed on public right of way directly across from a house or business. Too many cache owners are so intent on placing a cache that they neglect to apply common sense logic about it's location. They fail to think about the number of cachers (strangers to the neighbors) who will show up at all hours doing funny things on the side of the road. Due to events of the last decade or so, everyone is now suspicious of "strangers" doing weird things nearby. Can we blame them? Can't help but think that some of the blame has got to be on the shoulders of the cache owner.

Some people like to get involved where their meddling is not wanted or warranted! I don't know the story other than what I just read, but some people like to be community cops (I know a few). Maybe she has a property boundary issue that is spilling out onto others properties?!?!

This.

I've had my plate called in and had to educate police ( middle of nowhere )because some folks have a serious case of nose trouble.....kind of a sad life really, they are to be pitied.

Check out this log on one of our local caches:

Found this cache this morning with my cub scout pack. It is a great cache and in good shape. There is a problem with one of the neighbors though. They are not happy about the extra traffic and having people on their property. I don't know if the cache is on their property but I was in no position to argue. We had 3 cars,(2 of which parked at the end and side of this person's long gravel driveway), so I can understand if they didn't like that. However, first the wife drove down and told us that we had to leave or that she would call the police. So we started to head back to the cars.

Before we could leave a man came driving down the driveway in a Gator so I and another adult walked up to apologize. Before we could get a word out he wanted to know what we were doing there and why. i tried explaining that we were looking for a geocache and what it was. Before I could finish the explaination he said that there wasn't anything like that here. He didn't give permission for anything like that and he wanted people to stop looking. He said that people had stolen things, and he pointed to a pile of limestone(maybe) blocks/stones and wood.

I didn't correct him that we had already found it and said that I would contact the person who posted the coords and let them know. And I sent the CO an email already about this. He repeated that he didn't give any permission and that we needed to leave. Thankfully by that time all of the boys, ages 6-10 were already in the vehicles and we were able to leave without further incident.

Only afterward did the other adult who was with me talking to the man tell me that he had an unholstered pistol in his right hand sitting on the seat next to him. I never saw it because i was trying to keep eye contact with the guy because he was very irate.

So I would suggest that this cache needs to be moved ASAP because at least this neighbor is to be considered armed and hostile.

BTW... I can confirm that the cache is only a few feet from the main roadway, outside the landowner's fence, definitely NOT on private property requiring permission.

Before I had even heard of geocaching, we had a number of vehicles park outside of our house, many for quite a while with the occupants still inside. We are in a rural location, and there had been a spate of burglaries down our little dead end road. We were obviously very suspicious, and I was about to ask the last couple if I could help, but they drove away. Found out that there was a cache close by and have met many cachers since - have to love the travel bugs on vehicles. If that last couple hadn't driven away, we may have started caching sooner!

When I have a negative run-in while caching, I will mention it in the log. There was one cache I was looking for with my husband at the edge of a cemetery. Down the hill was a private farm. The person working on the land, which was at least a 100' elevation difference, started yelling at us about having to stay off his property, and continued to yell after we indicated no interest in descending the steep hillside. As it turns out, it wasn't the first time a cacher had this experience and the understanding CO archived the cache, despite having the church's permission to place the cache in the cemetery.

Never underestimate the ability of people (in general) to be in the wrong.

In and out of geocaching, over the years I have been amazed at some of the people I meet.

- They assume I'm Osama Bin Laden II and up to absolutely no good. (If they called me in after making a ruckus and bawling me out I might go so far as to charge them with public nuisance and harassment.)

- They tack up Private Road signs on public throughways, because they don't want traffic or strangers.

- "The No Fun Club" as my friend Will calls them, aren't having fun unless they are ruining everything for everyone else. These are your vandals or person on the phone to the towing service the moment you pull onto their street/parking lot.

- Someone tells you you're not supposed to be there, despite a complete lack of signage to that end (Really, this is a public road, why is your corporation closing it off and bothering me? Sure, you're doing construction in the area, but it's still a public road.)

In short, there are going to be people who got up on the wrong side of bed, about 20 years ago, and rather than take a kind interest in what their fellow man are doing, jump on their high horse and go nuts. You can't please everyone and trying to please some of these people just makes them more ornery.

The worst for us so far was a public protection officer freaking out on us, turning colors and trailing on his phone threatening the state police because I was walking around holding my phone. In a mall parking lot like the other people up by the building smoking. It was crazy. We were fine until he started getting louder and his face changing colors because he was mad. :sigh: It could've been handled a little better but since he freaked out, it was a mess.

Edited by PigsnChickens

We were doing a series of caches along a long dead end road next to an interstate in Louisiana. The caches were mostly between the road and the fence, with some on the fence. At one point MA was over in some bushes getting a cache when a pickup truck stopped next to our vehicle. A gentleman didn't ask what we were doing but looked towards MA and said to me: "She is OK there but if she crosses the fence, she will be shot," He then drove away.

A few days ok we were in Ohio doing caches on the Western Reserve Greenway Geotrail. The caches are on or near the trail. The county is involved by being involved with the publicity, the printing of a brochure and passport and supplying a geo coin for completion of the series

Here is our log at one of the caches

GPS led us to a geo trail in a small wooded area on the west side of the trail. GZ was only a few feet off the trail. We didn't get much chance to look as an ill tempered neighbour on the other side of the fence spotted us and wanted to know what we were doing. I said geocachng. He again asked what we were doing. I said we were looking for objects hidden by the county. He wasnt really listening and agaain asked what we were doing. Meanwhile his two dogs came thru the fence barking at us and trapped MA in the woods. When the dogs moved away we left.

The CO has archived the cache and stated the following in the archive log

Although on the WRGT it seems as if an adjoining land owner is kind of a turd--- We will find a new location for this one

I have only had a few awkward interactions with muggles when caching, once with the police even (who knew what we were doing as they had been sitting there all morning watching people find the cache and asking them what they were doing :laughing: ) but by far the most awkward one I had was when my family had stopped off in a major rest stop on the highway to find a cache with a lot of favourite points! We parked and I went out and made the find with my dad but it was clear that we were not alone. Someone, somewhere had arranged something with someone else to meet at this spot and these people were waiting. When we pulled up, they drove out of their spot and parked next to us. Fearing what might happen next, we left pretty quickly but it did seem like this may have been a local drug drop. We were relieved we didn't wait around to see what they wanted!

as a gunowner myself i laugh when people say they will shoot you for wandering onto their land... yeah thats gonna hold up in court. see you in prison dunbass.

You won't see them anywhere if they shoot you dead. Not a chance I'd want to take.

Last fall a NJ hunter, Barnett Zeldin, mysteriously disappeared. His car was found after a 4 day search with the keys in the ignition, cell phone on the dash, and dog in the back seat. An exhaustive search by many people has turned up nothing. I checked out the area where they located his car and noticed that the entire area around it was posted no trespassing or hunting by several property owners. I'm fairly certain that he was poaching deer on private property, and got shot by someone who subsequently removed his cellphone from him and placed it on his dash. Don't know how anyone could be jailed for this if they don't know where the body is. what happened, or where it happened, let alone who did it. The local hunters forums have several who boast about tracking bucks onto posted property, but I don't think that they would ever think about being the prey.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

as a gunowner myself i laugh when people say they will shoot you for wandering onto their land... yeah thats gonna hold up in court. see you in prison dunbass.

Three years ago, Manuel Heim shot at geocachers, hitting one of them with a bullet, after they had been seeking a cache that had been placed on his property near Victorville, California. He stated he had problems with drug dealers on his land and was shooting to scare them off when a bullet ricocheted off the rocks. The victims testified that they were leaving when he shot. He was acquitted on two of the four counts - including the count for the young man he shot that had a more serious charge involving great bodily injury. Still, he received a seven year, four month term, which was the lowest the judge could go and still give a prison sentence.

I thought at the time that the mixed verdict was a compromise, and it was too bad that the cache owner had not checked the property lines on google (it took me a few seconds to look at the boundary and about 15 minutes to determine that the land was owned by the Heim Family Trust). Still, as you point out, it was not much of a defense in court. At the age of 71, a 7+ year term is significant. I just checked, and he is still alive and incarcerated. He might be getting better medical care inside prison than he would have gotten on his own - at our expense.

Still, regardless of the law, there are certain situations I want to avoid, I once lived in a very rural area, off the grid, and was in the sheriff's office when my neighbor came in to get his rifle back - it had been held as evidence in a homicide where the jury found self defense after the victim was shot in the back. He looked at us, moved his finger down the barrel, and told us that you never knew when it would be needed in the neighborhood.

At least, when I was looking for a cache placed on private property, the owner was reasonably polite.

Vicious police.

I went to find a cache in a park the day it was published but a few hours too late, it was on my way to work. It was a quick and easy find, signed the log and started walking back to my car. I was passed by 2 police officers walking past me and as I got to my car they were standing at GZ looking at me so I got out and walked back towards them. As I approached they gave me the evil eye, asked what I was doing and if I had any drugs. After explaining I was geocaching on my way to work they laughed and told me I was the 4th or 5th person they observed and were just having fun with me.

dadgum cops with a sense of humour.

Edited by Roman!

It really doesn't matter whether the city or nearby property owner owns it. If the property owner doesn't want it there, its disrespectful to place a cache there. The city is not going to give any kind of permission, especially if the property owner complains about it.

Yes this is true, was not saying anything otherwise: I was just replying to the ownership of the road and right of way in my county. Placing a cache on any property where it is not wanted IS disrespectful as <4wheelin fool> stated. I think we got king of "off topic" lol.

It also appears that a UK reviewer resigned over this same issue recently. A nearby property owner requested geocachers to avoid using the ROW to access a cache, and Groundspeak agreed, but the reviewer insisted it was against the law to deny someone access to the ROW. I dunno, if a geocache is annoying a nearby property owner that much, you really should not force them to accept it. If a polite request is ignored, then this is what could trigger them to get vicious.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool