Iphone caching

which one is better for caching? also do you have to purchase the app on the iphone? i know its free on android but i seen its different on the iphone

Depends on WHICH app.

Some are free, some are paid for.

Groundspeak do a free trial/basic app and a paid for advanced/'Pro' app.

IF you have paid on one phone system, you can't transfer to another phone system.

(ie, if you've paid for an Android version app, it wont transfer to iPhone.)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I use my iPhone to cache, with the paid $10 app. I have been extremely pleased thus far. One caveat - if you're planning to do a lot of caching in the "wilderness", an iPhone might not be your best bet - I have a lot of issues out in the country. Plus, the iPhone's battery life is terrible, so you'll need to plan around that. I've been told the Android battery life is much better but have no experience with this.

There's a free version of the Groundspeak App....that'll get you started.

If you're enjoying the hobby, pay the $10 for the App and it'll keep you going.

If you become more and more interested and 'hooked' on the hobby - and pending your geocaching circumstances - you will eventually discover the limitations of the phone and you can expand & evolve from there. A handheld GPS.

But for now.....get the free App, or pay for the full version and get caching!!

I think the $10 iPhone app would be just fine. If you decide to do more caching and more experienced I suggest buying a gps but, for now I think your best bet would be the 10 dollar app since its cheap and works.

The OP has twice the finds as you guys. :laughing:

- But I agree, you'd do well with the full (now called "pro") ten buck iphone app.

Which app were you using before?

Wait for it...Wait for it...

I would assume that there are some 3rd party apps for iOS like there is for android.

I use Geosphere because it has features that the Groundspeak app lacks - for me the main ones are its ability to interface with routing apps and other offline mapping, to import and export GPX files so that I can search, filter, and transfer files between devices (including my dedicated gpsr), and the way that it displays caches and works offline. But geobucket and looking4cache have free versions, which is useful to see if you like the app.

Still, the apps that use the live API (including Geosphere) have significant restrictions unless you are a premium member. So for basic members, I think the Groundspeak app works well, and if you find yourself needing more, there are other options.

thanks for all the feedback everyone, i was using an android for the past 2 years and had the c;geo app so thats why i was wondering about the iphones capabilities. already have a handheld gps but i cant ever get it to work right so im just sticking with the phone.

I think the $10 iPhone app would be just fine. If you decide to do more caching and more experienced I suggest buying a gps but, for now I think your best bet would be the 10 dollar app since its cheap and works.

The OP has twice the finds as you guys. :laughing:

- But I agree, you'd do well with the full (now called "pro") ten buck iphone app.

Which app were you using before?

Wait for it...Wait for it...

thanks for all the feedback everyone, i was using an android for the past 2 years and had the c;geo app so thats why i was wondering about the iphones capabilities. already have a handheld gps but i cant ever get it to work right so im just sticking with the phone.

Ahh, thought so...

Each GPS takes some learning to figure out how best to use it. Generally they are not just out of the box and go -- you need to learn how to download the coordinates; sometimes you need communications types of software/drivers; and often third party apps help in formatting and using it the way that suits you best.

What type of GPS do you have?

But yea...you've got some learning to do. And honestly, to get the most out of your GPS & geocaching adventures....is premium membership & the usage of pocket queries.

But, you'll know when (or if) its time to venture into all that.

I had premium it just expired not too long ago actually. going to get it again once i get a device up and running. i have the Garmin eTrex 10 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator as far as the handheld gps i can download cords and all that just have issues with its gps reception it just bounces everywhere and doesnt even talk you close to the geocache

I have no problems paying for a premium membership, I don't use c:geo specifically for the purpose of finding member caches. I like the interface, ease of use, speed etc.

I've tried a couple iOS apps that are cumbersome, slow, difficult to navigate and so on. Is there one that is comparable to c:geo? Or do I have to keep loading every app to eventually find one that is decent?

I had always used a GPS unit, and own several. I recently started using a smartphone and I'm really starting to enjoy geocaching more than ever. :anibad:

You mean an app that is not approved by Groundspeak, and scrapes the site -against the Terms of Use you signed up to? :unsure:

No, he's using C:GEO.

To answer the other question, no IOS does not have a similar app, it is only available for smartphones.

That's odd, just yesterday evening a Mod said that, "c:geo is an unauthorized application".

So if it doesn't scrape the site and/or isn't against the terms of use, maybe you can please explain why it's an unauthorized application.

Is there an iOS app comparable it c:geo?

You mean an app that is not approved by Groundspeak, and scrapes the site -against the Terms of Use you signed up to? :unsure:

How so? Does gc.com require me to use their app for geocaching on their site with an android. :huh: That does not make any sense to me either, maybe you can explain it to me. Thanks in advance. :)

Is there an iOS app comparable it c:geo?

How so? Does gc.com require me to use their app for geocaching on their site with an android. :huh: That does not make any sense to me either, maybe you can explain it to me. Thanks in advance. :)

No, you don't have to use Groundspeak's own app.

They have partners:

http://www.geocaching.com/mobile/apidevelopers/

Thanks for your interest in the Geocaching public API. At the current time, we are no longer accepting new requests for API access. If you already use our API, don't worry, we will continue to support the API for existing partners and you will still be able to help one another in the API Forum. You can still reference the API License Agreement, as well.

If you are an established brand seeking partnership ideas, please check out our Branded Promotions page.

API partners have created apps for Android, Blackberry, iOS, desktop and more. To see what's available, visit our API Partners Page.

API partners can be found > http://www.geocaching.com/mobile/partners/

That's odd, just yesterday evening a Mod said that, "c:geo is an unauthorized application".

So if it doesn't scrape the site and/or isn't against the terms of use, maybe you can please explain why it's an unauthorized application.

It would be better to ask the mod directly. I can't speculate on why they would say that.