Help! I found something that I don't think is safe

Hi everyone,

Today I was out and about Geocaching. Inside one of the Caches that I found was a Student ID card, with the picture of the Student, their Date of Birth and what school they go to.

I totally do not feel like that is a safe item to have in a Cache, I have taken a Photo of the Student ID card, and I am going to return and remove it.

Am I being over the top?? Do I call the Police and make sure the child is safe?? Or am I being silly!!

As a Mum to boys I feel like that I wouldn't want my childs picture/date of birth and school details out there for the world to see...

What would you all suggest??

Cheers

Lisa

If you are concerned I would just go back and remove it. I don't think calling the police is in order. Most cachers I know are more into getting to the next cache to find. If someone was wanting to look into info on a kid they would have probably taken the card with them.

I agree that probably shouldn't be in the cache so if you have time go remove it and return it or just dispose of it.

My attitude would be the same as if I found the ID on the ground somewhere unrelated to the cache: I'd assume the student lost it. So the question isn't whether it's something to worry about, since it isn't, it's only how you get it back to the student, and the suggestions about returning it to the school make sense. If the ID is old enough that I doubt it's useful anymore, I'd probably just throw it out.

Hi everyone,

Today I was out and about Geocaching. Inside one of the Caches that I found was a Student ID card, with the picture of the Student, their Date of Birth and what school they go to.

I totally do not feel like that is a safe item to have in a Cache, I have taken a Photo of the Student ID card, and I am going to return and remove it.

Am I being over the top?? Do I call the Police and make sure the child is safe?? Or am I being silly!!

As a Mum to boys I feel like that I wouldn't want my childs picture/date of birth and school details out there for the world to see...

Cheers

Lisa

Probably someone caching dropped it and the next cacher to come along dropped it in the cache. I work for a school district and what shocks me is that they would place a student's birthday on a school ID. Not only for student safety but identify theft. Younger kids lose their ID's all the time.I second dropping it off at the school.

Edited by TahoeJoe

Unless there are sharp edges, I think this is harmless to find in a cache.

Back when I went to school - walked to school - we didn't need ID. They recognized us.

Things have gotten pretty ...

That's hard for staff when my middle school had over 2,000 students and my high school had over 2,500.

edited because of typo and to make sure the tone wasn't misinterpreted (it read kind of mean without me meaning it to before)

Edited by TheJewelClan

Unless there are sharp edges, I think this is harmless to find in a cache.

Back when I went to school - walked to school - we didn't need ID. They recognized us.

Things have gotten pretty ...

Student ID cards aren't just for identification, they're used for buying lunches, checking out books at the school library, school bus passes etc. Its a digital world now. :rolleyes:

Hi everyone,

Cheers

Lisa

It is weird to leave a student ID in there. But whatever floats their boat.

As to your comment about calling the police...lol. That is over the top. But it is nice of you to be so caring about a random stranger.