Help with a new Magellan eXplorist GC GPS unit

shera100

I have just purchased a new Magellan eXplorist GC GPS unit. I have downloaded the Communicator to my PC, also have added it to my profile on geocaching.com. Yet I still cannot download geocaches to the unit. When I click 'Send to GPS" I get the screen where I select the Magellan tab but it still says I need to download the Communicator. I've checked and verified that I do have it downloaded to my computer. The 'Download" button is grayed out, so I can't download the geocache.

can you help please. If anyone is using this same unit and can help, please call me at 604-781-8006. It is kind of urgent because I only have a few days left to return it, it I can't get it to work.

thanks in advance!

Eva

Edited by shera100

If using a PC and Internet Explorer as a browser, you need to read this: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=215 (ALL of it, not just part of it).

-OR-

Switch to using another browser. Mozilla Firefox seems to work best. Google Chrome works sometimes, yet sometimes not.

This *should* solve your problem.

----------

If not using a PC as per above, I dunno... because that is the usual solution.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

If using a PC and Internet Explorer as a browser, you need to read this: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=215 (ALL of it, not just part of it).

-OR-

Switch to using another browser. Mozilla Firefox seems to work best. Google Chrome works sometimes, yet sometimes not.

This *should* solve your problem.

----------

If not using a PC as per above, I dunno... because that is the usual solution.

As of late for me, it works fine on Chrome, but not Firefox. Go figure. Definitely try different browsers though.

I have just purchased a new Magellan eXplorist GC GPS unit. I have downloaded the Communicator to my PC, also have added it to my profile on geocaching.com. Yet I still cannot download geocaches to the unit. When I click 'Send to GPS" I get the screen where I select the Magellan tab but it still says I need to download the Communicator. I've checked and verified that I do have it downloaded to my computer. The 'Download" button is grayed out, so I can't download the geocache.

can you help please. If anyone is using this same unit and can help, please call me at 604-781-8006. It is kind of urgent because I only have a few days left to return it, it I can't get it to work.

thanks in advance!

Eva

I get it work in Chrome - but I rarely drop one or two caches at a time. It's much faster to transfer them as a group from a pocket query - which is very simple, as you just dump the unzipped files into the geocache folder on the gps using file manager. Just remember to disconnect on the computer before unplugging - I had it crash on me one time for not doing that.

Also, just be aware that the world wide maps are not brilliant when travelling. While I've had them be perfect in the UK and in the mid-western United States, the maps were really off in Alaska (by about ten to fifteen feet) and pretty non-existent apart from really major roads while in Brazil.

thanks in advance!

Eva

I get it work in Chrome - but I rarely drop one or two caches at a time. It's much faster to transfer them as a group from a pocket query - which is very simple, as you just dump the unzipped files into the geocache folder on the gps using file manager. Just remember to disconnect on the computer before unplugging - I had it crash on me one time for not doing that.

Also, just be aware that the world wide maps are not brilliant when travelling. While I've had them be perfect in the UK and in the mid-western United States, the maps were really off in Alaska (by about ten to fifteen feet) and pretty non-existent apart from really major roads while in Brazil.

Remember, once you create your Pocket Query, you then will need to either OPEN it from the Geocaching.com or as I do, I save the 2 GPX files to my Download directory on my Computer. I can then Open the download folder, which then shows you the 2 files needed on your gps.

You Geocache.GPX file goes into the correct Geocaches folder and the Waypoint.GPX file into the Waypoint folder. To get all the information, you must download the two files on the Magellan XGC into their correct folders. I load multiple GPS's each week, of different brands, so that is why I download and save the file to my computer. That way I synch all my devices with the same file.

One note: The new Magellan software packet 2.15 for the XGC does have some glitches in it. The new software will not recognize the "My Finds" file that you can download from geocaching.com. In the old software versions, the "My Finds" files would update your GPS with all the geocaches my may have logged online but may have not marked on your GPS for some reason. It will not put the SMILEY on the map for all of your previous finds, as the older version of the software did. You have to go back in and log all the old finds on the GPS individually to have them show the SMILEY on the map.

I have e-mailed Magellan 2 times about this glitch and they have not fixed it YET. I dependeded on the "My Finds" files to keep my finds updated under the old 1.08 software that was on the XGC.

jrobin54

One note: The new Magellan software packet 2.15 for the XGC does have some glitches in it. The new software will not recognize the "My Finds" file that you can download from geocaching.com. In the old software versions, the "My Finds" files would update your GPS with all the geocaches my may have logged online but may have not marked on your GPS for some reason. It will not put the SMILEY on the map for all of your previous finds, as the older version of the software did. You have to go back in and log all the old finds on the GPS individually to have them show the SMILEY on the map.

I have e-mailed Magellan 2 times about this glitch and they have not fixed it YET. I dependeded on the "My Finds" files to keep my finds updated under the old 1.08 software that was on the XGC.

jrobin54

I don't believe the GC EVER preloaded a smiley icon in previous sw versions, even if you downloaded a 'found' cache. I've always had to 'find' it on the device to change the map icon.

I have a Magellan eXplorist 710 and used to have a GC as well. Neither ever showed caches I had found unless I'd marked them as found on the GPS itself. Unlike Garmin, the Magellans can't seem to read the found status of the caches from the PQ. I'm not aware that has ever been changed - but would be delighted to know it has!

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website