Garmin Etrex 10 not recognised

I have been using 2 Garmin Etrex 10 for over 2+ years without a problem. I plug them into my Windows 7 PC and they used to appear as a drive, I would copy a pocket query and paste it into the GPX folder and it all worked fine.

Since new year the PC will not recognise them and I get a windows code 43 message. I've tried them on a windows 10 laptop and an Apple Mac but none of them can see them.

I've tried for hours uninstalling software and reinstalling, followed videos and updated drivers in device manager. used a brand new cable but still nothing.

I've checked them both and they are set to Mass Data for connection, but when I attach them to the computer they just turn on and go to the normal caching screens rather than uploading waypoints and stuff? I've tried the troubleshooting advice, push the joystick in and up and hold up whilst you connect to the computer but this doesn't help.

I'm about to chuck them in the bin :o

Can anyone help me??

Edited by Freddie&Beep

I had the same problem with an Etrex 10 and 20 a while back. I was swapping cables and using a USB hub then not using a hub but it suddenly all came good and I'm not sure why. It could have been that I shut down my desktop (W8) and restarted, something I rarely do.

I had the same problem with an Etrex 10 and 20 a while back. I was swapping cables and using a USB hub then not using a hub but it suddenly all came good and I'm not sure why. It could have been that I shut down my desktop (W8) and restarted, something I rarely do.

Thanks for the reply

I've tried a hub and a port in the front of the PC but its the just the same. I've also tried other computers.

The Garmin lights up and you can use it as if it is on normally, it just refuses to show on the computer as a mass storage device :o(

I just plugged in our Etrex 20 to our newly updated computer. Same issue.

I upgraded the plugins for Garmin. No go.

Then I went to Garmin directly and downloaded Garmin express as another forum indicated.

Same issue.

My device is recognized by Garmin and my computer but when I try to transfer data from geocache to my device it does not recognize my device.

I called Garmin.

Apparently, moving forward, this is how it is going to be.

Something to the effect of they did not have a need for the plug ins anymore so data transfer will not be an option.

Received the impression garmin and ground speak don't see eye to eye.

So now my family has a device it can not use for geocaching.

Happy Family Day!

Well not exactly. You can't transfer directly because the type of plug-in that Garmin uses is not considered safe anymore by the computing industry and thus has been disabled. I believe you can still get it to work with Firefox.

I'm not up to date on what is available to non-Premium members, but I believe you can still download the cache to the computer and then transfer to the GPS. Next to the "send to my GPS" button, what other options are present?

Edited by Red90

I'm not up to date on what is available to non-Premium members, but I believe you can still download the cache to the computer and then transfer to the GPS. Next to the "send to my GPS" button, what other options are present?

Basic Members don't have access to the GPX button, only the LOC button. The LOC files contain very little information:

• Name and owner
  • Coordinates
  • URL
  • D/T
  • Container size

That's it. Surprisingly, it doesn't even include the cache type.

Basic Members using the "Send to My GPS" button get a GPX file with more information than the LOC, but still not as much as if they were a Premium Member and used the GPX button or Send to My GPS. I don't have access to my GPSrs right now so I can't test it, but here are the results I got when I tried it back in 2013:

Basic member "Send to My GPS" GPX file:

-GC code

-Name

-Coordinates

-Cache type

-Status (ie. disabled, archived, etc.)

-Placed by name

-Owner ID

-Size

-Difficulty

-Terrain

-Country

-State

Okay. They can still download the LOC file and upload that to the GPS with any program that can read a LOC file.

They do not need "a program that can read a LOC file." It is not necessary to view the contents of the LOC file to get it to the GPS. The operating system is quite capable of copying or moving the LOC file to the G/Garmin/GPX directory. (Substitute your GPS drive letter for the G)

Okay. They can still download the LOC file and upload that to the GPS with any program that can read a LOC file.

They do not need "a program that can read a LOC file." It is not necessary to view the contents of the LOC file to get it to the GPS. The operating system is quite capable of copying or moving the LOC file to the G/Garmin/GPX directory. (Substitute your GPS drive letter for the G)

The OS might do so. But - The Garmin units can't read .loc files. rolleyes.gif

So there actually is a need for an app converting loc files to gpx files.

Hans

Edited by HHL