Garmin Oregon 6x0 - Web Updater Firmware 4.60

Changes made from version 4.40 to 4.60:

Improved 'Save Portion' track feature. When saving a portion, the device now remembers that position in the track log so it can be used as a track segment for future portion saving.

Fixed possible erroneous track point on power on.

Fixed output of SNR in $GPGSV NMEA sentence.

Pretty sweet fix in this update! It fixes the following issue among others:

1. Turn on track log, log a few points at your current position

2. Turn off your device

3. Move a to a new location

4. Turn on your device

5. Track log drops a point at your previous position with the current time

6. Track log drops a point 1 second later at your current position with the current time

7. This results in your track log saying you went from the previous position to the current position in 1 second at 800 miles per hour or something equally as ludicrous.

Given the fact that this issue was just fixed on the 64 I would expect that a similar update for most Garmin models to be forthcoming.

While I don't use track portions or NMEA 0183, it's still nice to see an update come out. For instance, look at something like the GPSMAP 62. It was introduced in late 2010, and is still getting updates just shy of 5 years later. By that logic, the Oregon 600 should still be getting updates well into 2018.

I wonder if there are any other improvements that they didn't specify? It would nice if they improved the accuracy to prevent 'walk-backs' when finding caches. I'm going to do the update as soon as I remember which drawer I put my 600 in (I've been using the 64s and been much happier with it).

It seems they did this or a similar update to several models.

ZeMartelo, look for the "Added ability to cook you omelettes" in version 4.70

Sheesh

Altough I would welcome a version that would make an omelette's while I am on the trail, for now I would be happy if they fixed crashes and lock ups that still happen and improve battery life.

The tracklog issue is pretty low on my list of problems with this unit.

Good point with the crashes/lock-ups. Also, I prefer my eggs over easy, so if they could include some code that does that without breaking the yolk, I'd be pleased.

ZeMartelo, look for the "Added ability to cook you omelettes" in version 4.70

Sheesh

Altough I would welcome a version that would make an omelette's while I am on the trail, for now I would be happy if they fixed crashes and lock ups that still happen and improve battery life.

The tracklog issue is pretty low on my list of problems with this unit.

While I don't use track portions or NMEA 0183, it's still nice to see an update come out. For instance, look at something like the GPSMAP 62. It was introduced in late 2010, and is still getting updates just shy of 5 years later. By that logic, the Oregon 600 should still be getting updates well into 2018.

I loaded version 6.30 of the firmware for the GPSMAP 62s tonight (and 4.30 for the eTrex 20).

Same corrections as all the other firmwares being released for the various devices.