Etiquette Quiz

If a geocache owner moves and can no longer take care of their geocache they should...

Put it up for adoption or archive it

Throw it away

Sell it

Take it with them

So, I put it up for adoption. No one wanted it by the time I'd moved away, so I archived it.

(It's still in place, if you want it!)

Also agree, batteries are not a good trade item, as they can leak...

I once had a geology teacher in high school who made a T/F quiz in which the first 19 questions were correctly answered False, and the 20th question?

You got it. The question was:

____ 20. All of the questions in this quiz are correctly answered with False.

Wonderful!

Okay, I guess. I got the "how long should you keep a TB" question wrong (I don't agree with the correct answer), and the one about the air freshener.

Heh. I got the same two "wrong."

I don't really think I was wrong, though...

Same here, and I agree that we were right. :anibad:

Me as well. 8/10

Okay, I guess. I got the "how long should you keep a TB" question wrong (I don't agree with the correct answer), and the one about the air freshener.

I think, if you read the question carefully, was not how long to keep the TB, but rather when you should notify the owner that you have it (by using a "Retrieved" log) and that you will move it soon.

I think, if you read the question carefully, was not how long to keep the TB, but rather when you should notify the owner that you have it (by using a "Retrieved" log) and that you will move it soon.

I too got this one wrong and immediately thought that something was amiss from GS's side. But after looking at the question again, it came to me that theirs is the correct answer.

Ended up getting the appropriate swag question wrong as well. Even now, i don't quite agree with GS's answer on that one. Neither are good swag so i went with the one that i figured could possibly end up being more evil. I know of at least one land manager that strictly prohibits the one item.

I got 9 of 10. I too mis-read the TB question until I realized they were not asking how long to keep the TB but how long before logging that you grabbed it from the cache. It was worded poorly. The one I missed was the air freshner one. I do not think batteries should be put in caches because of leakage or heat can do damage to batteries. Do not agree that air freshners will attract animals. I believe that would depend on the scent. I truly believe that answer and options can be debated. Like someone said in a previous post, one can tell this quiz was made by someone not experienced in caching.

Reading the comments, I'm really wondering how many leaky, dangerous AA/AAA batteries are found in geocaches.

Maybe it's that the times have changed, and people aren't trading for them like they used to? A new set of batteries in a cache didn't last long as a trade item when I started caching, nor when I started caching on this website. And I never saw a set leaking or corroding to the point of fearing a hazard. And then, I would just trash them out...

:unsure:

Reading the comments, I'm really wondering how many leaky, dangerous AA/AAA batteries are found in geocaches.

Maybe it's that the times have changed, and people aren't trading for them like they used to? A new set of batteries in a cache didn't last long as a trade item when I started caching, nor when I started caching on this website. And I never saw a set leaking or corroding to the point of fearing a hazard. And then, I would just trash them out...

One of our most memorable swag items was a battery. We found it in a cache that was in like a weird cookie tin with kittens on it. The battery was memorable because it was the exact battery that we needed for our garage door opener - kind of like a short AA. We traded for it, and got many years use out of it. And it came out of a remote, rarely found cache with a ridiculous container.

How many smartphones use AAs?

We still leave 'em, since many in our area still use GPSrs and might need 'em.

We've been at this for a short while, and only saw one set corroded in a cache.

The thing was filled to the top with water. Everything else was kinda carped-out too.

Weird, huh?

How many smartphones use AAs?

Uh, precisely my point! :anicute:

We still leave 'em, since many in our area still use GPSrs and might need 'em.

The thing was filled to the top with water. Everything else was kinda carped-out too.

Weird, huh?

There you go. That's more to the point than the batteries being the problem--SWAG is only going to be in as good a condition as the cache container, and the valuation of "equal, greater, or not at all..." as an exchange process.

Cache maintenance is a very important etiquette topic, and container choice as well. If we want to see good SWAG, then we need containers which can handle it (good seals, maintained well, and big enough to hold stuff). Also, we need Groundspeak to realize when they've put a Travel Bug prominently on display for a topic about trade items which need to be "up or evenly" traded...

Edit to snip an OT rant

Edited by NeverSummer

I've been caching for 5 years, and I can only remember seeing batteries of any sort 2 or 3 times, and I think they were all in caches I found when I was caching away from home. I don't recall any of those batteries looking like they'd still be useful. I've always assumed it was a leftover practice from the days before everyone switched to using rechargeables.

I've been caching for 5 years, and I can only remember seeing batteries of any sort 2 or 3 times, and I think they were all in caches I found when I was caching away from home. I don't recall any of those batteries looking like they'd still be useful. I've always assumed it was a leftover practice from the days before everyone switched to using rechargeables.

In the state of New York, one must recycle rechargable batteries by law. Akaline batteries can be disposed of however one chooses.

When did everyone switch to rechargeables? I didn't.

I use them. My gps eats them. I'd be using way too many regular batteries and having to dispose of them properly if I didn't.

Well, for alkaline batteries, "properly" is a household trash can...

Not here. We have to save them up and bring them to a place to dispose of them safely.

Still less irritating than trying to have 10 pairs of batteries charged at all times. We buy huge packages of AAs at Costco.

No it isn't. We are provided with small carton boxes (bebat) to separately dispose of batteries. Trash is sorted here anyway. Organic, plastic/drink cartons/food cans, paper/carton, "none of the above". Anything other (paint containers, empty chemical/cleaning fluid containers, large trash) has to be brought to the city recycling park, at a (low) fee. Electronics can be dropped for free as the fee was already added at the time they were bought.

I use them. My gps eats them. I'd be using way too many regular batteries and having to dispose of them properly if I didn't.

Not here. We have to save them up and bring them to a place to dispose of them safely.

Still less irritating than trying to have 10 pairs of batteries charged at all times. We buy huge packages of AAs at Costco.

So it's easier to buy huge packages of AAs on a regular basis at Costco than to buy a proper charger and just leave your batteries on said charger until you need them?

I don't know how others charge batteries, I manage rechargeables on a weekly basis for audio visual purposes. We have a couple of chargers that hold 8 AAs at a time. They are very inexpensive to purchase. They charge the batteries to full charge and then trickle charge to keep them topped off and keep from damaging them. We just leave the batteries on the charger all week until needed.

This has proven to be much more convenient than buying huge packages of AAs at Costco, and a lot cheaper.

:blink:

This thread has gone from being about the Geocaching Etiquette quiz to an off-topic discussion about battery disposal!

Yikes!

B.

As is the entire comment thread on the Quiz! :blink:

Batteries: Not bad SWAG. Batteries: check with your local laws and regulations for disposal information.

So, back O(n)T, any other "etiquette" ideas that anyone thought were missed opportunities to help the masses "play nice"?

So it's easier to buy huge packages of AAs on a regular basis at Costco than to buy a proper charger and just leave your batteries on said charger until you need them?

I don't know how others charge batteries, I manage rechargeables on a weekly basis for audio visual purposes. We have a couple of chargers that hold 8 AAs at a time. They are very inexpensive to purchase. They charge the batteries to full charge and then trickle charge to keep them topped off and keep from damaging them. We just leave the batteries on the charger all week until needed.

This has proven to be much more convenient than buying huge packages of AAs at Costco, and a lot cheaper.

We buy the batteries two or three times a year. We would need to constantly charge batteries in order to have a good supply for three people. No thanks, not for us. Glad your system works for you.

Either way, I wouldn't put batteries from a cache in my GPS.

Edited by narcissa

With all the problems with trackables, it'd be nice to go with another quiz just on them.

But with, "How long is it acceptable to keep a travel bug in your inventory before notifying the owner it will be traveling again soon?"

- their own words in Geocaching 101 are, "If you plan on holding onto the bug for more than 2 weeks, make sure to send a courtesy email to the owner letting them know" and this last one said "notify them asap", then maybe they shouldn't.

Throw in two questions about swag ("trade up/even" and "the following are good swag items") both with trackables visable, and ya gotta think no wonder there's issues.

Cache maintenance is a very important etiquette topic, and container choice as well. If we want to see good SWAG, then we need containers which can handle it (good seals, maintained well, and big enough to hold stuff).

I agree. There should be an etiquette quiz about cache ownership/maintenance. Something that emphasizes taking pride in a well maintained cache, as well as responsible and quality cache ownership.

Something to discourage the ever increasing practice of hide-em-and-forget-em cache ownership. (And the ever increasing practice of throwdowns and propping up abandoned junk caches).

One of our most memorable swag items was a battery. We found it in a cache that was in like a weird cookie tin with kittens on it. The battery was memorable because it was the exact battery that we needed for our garage door opener - kind of like a short AA. We traded for it, and got many years use out of it. And it came out of a remote, rarely found cache with a ridiculous container.

Don't you hate it when you replace yer watch battery every three years and they only sell yer size battery in packs of two? :angry:

I got 10/10.

Easy to do, if you think like someone who hasn't done much geocaching.

Some of the "correct" answers are questionable, indeed.

And "all of the above" should be the last answer option, not the third of four.

B.

I'da said "If you think like a person who works for Groundspeak who is dashing off a quiz to post to the website."

I've made a bunch of quizzes. It actually takes a bit of work and a helpful critical review by a coworker.

An' the "All the following" shoulda been the first option, yeah, it was out of place for sure.

Edited by ATMouse
An' the "All the following" shoulda been the first option, yeah, it was out of place for sure.

Many (most?) quiz engines will randomize the order of the possible answers. So it should have been "All of these" instead of relying on a certain spot in the answer list.

But this is really nit-picking. :anitongue: