pen

Luckless

Even our paint pens on ammo cans seem to fade in the Sun.

The staonal crayons we've used for car parts with CJ's Grandfather last a long while.

The archival ink with our letterbox stamps hasn't faded.

- We check it time-to-time in a clear container out back (future project)

Never tried a grease marker with fading, thinking it may run.

When I've laminated cards for caches, I've always printed something on standard paper (laserjets are great!) and then laminated. I've never seen it fade, even on outdoor signs I've laminated and posted in the elements.

Can you explain a little more about what you're trying to keep from fading?

Just trying to write out coordinates to a multi. Some don't come with a container.

When I've laminated cards for caches, I've always printed something on standard paper (laserjets are great!) and then laminated. I've never seen it fade, even on outdoor signs I've laminated and posted in the elements.

Just trying to write out coordinates to a multi. Some don't come with a container.

Why paper?

Why not something etched in a aluminum, copper, or even tin tag?

Why paper?

Considered it. Thought cutouts from aluminum pie tins might be good. Haven't figured out how to burnish the edges so they aren't sharp.

Why paper?

Considered it. Thought cutouts from aluminum pie tins might be good. Haven't figured out how to burnish the edges so they aren't sharp.

Maybe just folding the edges 1/16" or so, using the back of a handsaw blade would work?

Gotcha.

As others have said, metal tags work well. I've seen anything from stamped dog tags, to etched pet tags (the kind you get at a pet shop and pay to get engraved by a machine), and then heavy foil with the coords somehow pressed into them with a point and using a soft medium as a backing to get it to take. All of those metal options lasted well in the elements, but can cost money you might not feel ready to spend. The etched tags will run you $5 a piece or so, but sure could make for a lasting tag and an easy theme for the cache.

Otherwise, I recommend the laserjet printing and laminating with a high-mil heat lamination. Make extras just in case you need maintenance runs, and call it good. Replacement could be the cost of doing business...

I've also seen (and had) good results from one of the old school Dymo label makers that embosses a strip of plastic. Even when the color fades, the impression is legible.

Ah, at last, a use for those things. I'll keep an eye out at yard sales- don't think you can still buy them.

Edited by Luckless

Gotcha.

As others have said, metal tags work well. I've seen anything from stamped dog tags, to etched pet tags (the kind you get at a pet shop and pay to get engraved by a machine), and then heavy foil with the coords somehow pressed into them with a point and using a soft medium as a backing to get it to take. All of those metal options lasted well in the elements, but can cost money you might not feel ready to spend. The etched tags will run you $5 a piece or so, but sure could make for a lasting tag and an easy theme for the cache.

Otherwise, I recommend the laserjet printing and laminating with a high-mil heat lamination. Make extras just in case you need maintenance runs, and call it good. Replacement could be the cost of doing business...

Copper tags and dymo labels are the norm around here.

I've also seen (and had) good results from one of the old school Dymo label makers that embosses a strip of plastic. Even when the color fades, the impression is legible.

Ah, at last, a use for those things. I'll keep an eye out at yard sales- don't think you can still buy them.

Actually, you can. I got one last year at Office Depot.

When I create multis in the woods, I use a notebook, space pen, scissors, and self-adhesive laminate. I've yet to have anything go wrong when I laminate the coordinates in such a manner. The self-adhesive laminate is really convenient in any situation.

Edited by Ranger Fox

Why paper?

It was suggested to me a while back to go to a plant nursery and get some "plant tags" to mark waypoints/turns and such. They're just copper (I think) tags about 3-4" long with a wire at one end. You can engrave coords into them and hang them in a tree or whatever inconspicuous spot you can find. They're very thin and can be engraved VERY easily.

I might look into this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Why paper?

It was suggested to me a while back to go to a plant nursery and get some "plant tags" to mark waypoints/turns and such. They're just copper (I think) tags about 3-4" long with a wire at one end. You can engrave coords into them and hang them in a tree or whatever inconspicuous spot you can find. They're very thin and can be engraved VERY easily.