Just thought of a possible problem with a bonus cache!

I've been working on getting around to placing a multi in a really pretty area near here and then a bonus cache back near the parking area. Besides just being a second cache the bonus cache will have the added benefit of helping people find their vehicle again, via the prettiest route.

I'll try to outline my (possible) problem:

The parking area for the main cache is near the trailhead to that cache. The listed coords will contain instructions on getting to that main cache. Then, as I understand it, the main cache is to contain coords for the bonus cache, which will be located back near the parking area. What do I list as the coords for the bonus cache? Would it be the coords for the main cache? That would be kind of a giveaway to its location without following the multi's directions. Do I have another choice? I assume I can't use the parking coords for the bonus cache. Or can I?

Well, phooey! I was trying to insert a picture with a general idea of what I'm trying to describe, but I put it on facebook and this forum won't let me use that link here.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Jenny

Edited by zookeepertx

I've been working on getting around to placing a multi in a really pretty area near here and then a bonus cache back near the parking area. Besides just being a second cache the bonus cache will have the added benefit of helping people find their vehicle again, via the prettiest route.

I'll try to outline my (possible) problem:

The parking area for the main cache is near the trailhead to that cache. The listed coords will contain instructions on getting to that main cache. Then, as I understand it, the main cache is to contain coords for the bonus cache, which will be located back near the parking area. What do I list as the coords for the bonus cache? Would it be the coords for the main cache? That would be kind of a giveaway to its location without following the multi's directions. Do I have another choice? I assume I can't use the parking coords for the bonus cache. Or can I?

Well, phooey! I was trying to insert a picture with a general idea of what I'm trying to describe, but I put it on facebook and this forum won't let me use that link here.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Jenny

I'm confused.

Around here, "bonus" caches are stand-alone caches in a different location.

For example, you would find cache A, cache B and cache C to collect codes or partial coordinates that you would need to find the Bonus cache. The "bonus" cache is usually listed as a "?" (mystery or puzzle) cache.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

1.20. Mystery/Puzzle

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=277

Bonus Geocaches

Clues to the bonus geocache location (often coordinates, or partial coordinates in several geocaches) are hidden in one or more other geocaches. Generally, clues for a bonus geocache should not be placed in another bonus geocache, and the bonus geocache belongs to the owner of the geocaches where clues are found.

I'm not understanding what you are trying to accomplish. Why would you have a "bonus" cache in the same location as the multicache final location? That's what I'm getting that you want to do.

Are you perhaps confusing "physical" and "virtual" stages with the "final" location of a multicache?

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

1.17. Stages and Additional Waypoints

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=72

1.13. Saturation Guideline: Hidden, Virtual and Additional Waypoints

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=232

Guidelines:

2. Multi-Caches

The coordinates posted at the top of the cache listing are for the first stage of a multi-cache.

Provide the coordinates of all subsequent stages of the multi-cache by using the Additional Waypoints feature.

If you do not want the coordinates for the additional stages displayed to the public, mark them as "hidden." Only the cache owner, reviewers and Groundspeak lackeys can view hidden coordinates.

B.

The bonus cache is Mystery type, with the info to get the cache coords in your Multi.

Listing coords of the bonus cache are simply bogus, or "a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location."

The listing coords and the actual cache coords must be within 2 miles of each other, so if the parking coords meet this requirement, I'd use parking coords.

To be two separate listings, Multi and Mystery, the physical final of the Mystery (the bonus cache) must be at least .1 miles from any physical stage of the Multi.

Sorry, I'm not good at all with explaining visual things with words. Isonzo Karst seems to have pretty much the idea of what I'm asking, but let me try again anyway.

Multi-cache:

•  
  • I'd give coords for parking.
  • Coords for the trailhead will be SSW of parking and there will be nothing located at the trailhead.
  • The POSTED cache coords will be SSE of trailhead and will contain directions/coord for the ACTUAL location.
  • The ACTUAL cache coords will be ESE of the posted coords.

Bonus cache:

•  
  • Directions to the bonus will be contained in the multi-cache.
  • The bonus cache ACTUAL location is ENE from the parking and NW from the multi's ACTUAL location.
  • The bonus cache more or less serves to take cachers the fastest and most scenic way back to the parking area. Backtracking would make them miss the pretty scenery, which is the whole reason I want to place these caches.
  • Parking would be at the same place as parking for the multi.

The parking is less than .1 mile from the bonus cache. I don't know if that matters, but I get the impression that it doesn't.

The Multi's trailhead is less than .1 mile from the ACTUAL coords of the bonus.

The ACTUAL bonus coords are more than .1 mile from both the POSTED multi coords and the ACTUAL multi coords.

So, I guess my main question is, is it okay to have the parking coords for the multi be the same as the posted coords for the bonus?

Sorry, I still don't see the need for a "bonus" cache.

This could all be one multicache. The stages could lead the cachers through the scenic route, to end up back at the parking area where the final container and log book would be located.

the main cache is to contain coords for the bonus cache, which will be located back near the parking area

If you are saying that you will post the coordinates for the "bonus" cache in some way at the published coordinates for Stage 1, then what would be the point? Cachers would get to Stage 1, read the coordinates, input them in their gps, and head over to the "bonus" cache.

If it was me, I would just create one multicache. Stages would be for parking area, and the rest of the stages would be the scenic route back to the parking lot.

B.

So, I guess my main question is, is it okay to have the parking coords for the multi be the same as the posted coords for the bonus?

While there may not be a "need" for a bonus cache, it would add one more smiley to the walk and the combination of a multi and mystery bonus might attract more people than a multi alone.

However, if parking coordinates are being given as an additional waypoint, I would probably not use that as the listing coordinates for the bonus. One might obscure the other on a map if both the additional waypoint and the bonus cache coordinates are enabled for the same location.

If there is a park entry or driveway leading to the parking, that might work ad the coordinates for the bonus cache - close enough so it will be clearly linked to the multi, at a location that would help identify the area, but with enough separation so that the two waypoints are not right on top of each other. Otherwise I would not provide parking coordinates per se, but mention in the description that the bonus coordinates are a good place to park.

Edited by geodarts

The entire path is a loop leading from the parking to the trailhead to the multi-cache at the far end of the loop via the "less-interesting" route and then back via the scenic route.

I don't want to send people on a loop of hiking only to end up back where they started just for another micro-in-a-tree. So I really want to put a cache out that's larger than the typical pill bottle found in this area and there is absolutely NO place to put a larger cache that won't be found by kids and other muggles, except for the area around the far end of the loop. (At least not without making people go bushhogging through THICK, nasty underbrush)

The posted coords for the bonus will be back at the parking, and the physical bonus cache would actually be nearby, but the coords for the bonus would be found in the physical multi container.

I know I'm not being clear; if you could just see my hands you'd get it, LOL! (If you tied my hands up I couldn't talk at ALL! :P

While there may not be a "need" for a bonus cache, it would add one more smiley to the walk and the combination of a multi and mystery bonus might attract more people than a multi alone.

However, parking coordinates are being given as an additional waypoint, I would probably not use that as the listing coordinates for the bonus. One might obscure the other on a map if both the additional waypoint and the bonus cache coordinates are enabled for the same location.

If there is a park entry or driveway leading to the parking, that might work ad the coordinates for the bonus cache - close enough so it will be clearly linked to the multi, at a location that would help identify the area, but with enough separation so that the two waypoints are not right on top of each other. Otherwise I would not provide parking coordinates per se, but mention in the description that the bonus coordinates are a good place to park.

Ahhh, I didn't think about them obscuring each other on the map! Good thinking! And there's definitely other parking and an entrance that I can use for the posted coords of the bonus; thanks!

Can the multi's trailhead (which will not have anything placed by me) be closer than .1 mile from the physical location of the bonus?

Edited by zookeepertx