Favorite points

bobstaf

I sure that this has been asked many times before. I did a search and came up empty. Why can't one do a pocket query include a filter for favorite points. More importantly, is there a work around.

I use GSAK and when refreshing caches the favorites are updated via API. At the same time the links to images (listing and logs) are update so they can be "grabbed" from GC.

I sure that this has been asked many times before. I did a search and came up empty. Why can't one do a pocket query include a filter for favorite points. More importantly, is there a work around.

Thanks

You would think that favorite points would be filterable through a query but for some reason, they aren't. Like on4bam staed, one way to get a list is by using gsak. Get your pocket query into gsak then refresh the whole shebang. Be sure to add the favorite point column so that you can see and then sort them.

Thanks

You would think that favorite points would be filterable through a query but for some reason, they aren't. Like on4bam staed, one way to get a list is by using gsak. Get your pocket query into gsak then refresh the whole shebang. Be sure to add the favorite point column so that you can see and then sort them.

I have used GSAK to update with favorite points. What I had in mind was to have a database with the caches with the top favorite points. Both GSAK and pocket queries have some limitations in this regard.

Thanks

I have used GSAK to update with favorite points. What I had in mind was to have a database with the caches with the top favorite points. Both GSAK and pocket queries have some limitations in this regard.

Make a Bookmark of the highest FP caches, then run a PQ from it?

Or use the Get Geocaches API call from GSAK (or other API partners) that does allow you to select by Favorite Points. For our big trip this year, I was able to get the most favored caches for each state we were going thru.

What other App uses the Get Geocachings API call? I just recently switched from a PC to a Macbook Pro and can't run GSAK on it without jumping through hoops. I just can't see installing a separate operating system just to run one application.

Or use the Get Geocaches API call from GSAK (or other API partners) that does allow you to select by Favorite Points. For our big trip this year, I was able to get the most favored caches for each state we were going thru.

What other App uses the Get Geocachings API call? I just recently switched from a PC to a Macbook Pro and can't run GSAK on it without jumping through hoops. I just can't see installing a separate operating system just to run one application.

I had assumed that most applications or programs that support the geocaching live API allow searching by favorites - perhaps because the app I use on my iOS phone and tablets (geosphere) does so - although the slider used to select the number of points is invisible unless you are using the 9.0 beta. I have never used this feature, so it was not until I checked a couple of others that I discovered it is not always supported.

Icaching on the Mac appears to support favorites as well, but not having a Mac that is simply my impression based on curiousity.

I use iCaching for Mac. It doesn't have all of the features of GSAK, but helps organize your PQs and allows sorting on fav points and creating smart folders for export to your GPS.

The only other app I use is GDAK on my tablet. I know that there are other Partners out there, I just don't use them/know them.

I use Packet Queries to load GSAK, but although I have a column for favorite points, they do not show up in my "Not Found" database, but do show up in my "Found" database. Any reason for this that I am missing?

Favorites are not available from PQs. They do show up if you refresh via API.

Excuse my ignorance, but how does one do that? I've only been doing this for eight or nine years...

So am I... :ph34r:

When you import a PQ in GSAK the number of favorites is not included (in the PQ) and thus remains at zero in GSAK. If "refreshing" caches the amount of favorites IS included in the data provided by GS en you will then see the amount of favorites.

Excuse my ignorance, but how does one do that? I've only been doing this for eight or nine years...

So am I... :ph34r:

When you import a PQ in GSAK the number of favorites is not included (in the PQ) and thus remains at zero in GSAK. If "refreshing" caches the amount of favorites IS included in the data provided by GS en you will then see the amount of favorites.

If your query is in gsak, go to the "geocaching.com access" tab and then hit "refresh cache data". In the window that pops up, be sure to click "all caches in filter". Make sure you have the "favorite points" column displayed so that you can see the results. Note that this refresh can take a while, depending on how many caches are displayed and your internet connection speed.