Adopting geocoins

Ry Dawg

I'm new to coins. I think they are pretty awesome. I just order a lot of them, as well as currently in process of having my own made.

Anyway, I always leave a FTF prize in a new geocache of mine, often generous. My question, however would be about leaving a coin as a prize. I know prizes are optional, but it's something in which I enjoy participating.

I want to leave some of my new coins in new caches. I also want to log these coins, because I like the icons.

Is it "tacky" I activate them, and then adopt them to the FTF recipient? If I leave it unactivated, is it tacky to ask if I may discover it, should they chose to activate it?

I don't know anything about coin etiquette, other than they are someone else's property unless given to you.

It's not "tacky" to do anything associated with giving away an item of some value ;-)

If you want the icon, realize that if you activate it, you'll completely lose the icon on adoption. I'm guessing that your notion is

activate, adopt, then use the tracking code to log a discover (you'll have to save that tracking code, because it's not going to appear to you once the item isn't yours).

This seems entirely reasonable to me.

As does leave unactivated, and ask about discovery.

I've left a lot of unactivated trackables in caches (not usually my own, I'm not a fan of FTF premiums). Many will remain unactivated, just FYI.

Since you're leaving the coin/gift/prize in your own cache you will know when the cache was FTF and assume the coin was taken. At that point you can wait until the coin is activated and discover the coin or send the new owner an email requesting their approval. It's rare that someone who gets a free coin will balk at the original owner wishing to discover it but be prepared for some twisted feelings if they are not sure who you are when you make the discovery. On the other if you activate it and then adopt it away the new owner will know who you are and not get their undies knotted up over you wishing to discover it.

I would make one suggestion if you are going to leave the coin unactivated in the cache....

--- Put a note in the coin sleeve with the activation code or a link to the website to get the activation code and an explanation on how to activate this prize you are giving away. Many new cachers are confused enough about geocoins that should they come across one that is not activated and what they are to do with it throws them into a tailspin of further confusion. Your gift is appreciated all the more if the person understands what just happened and where to go next with it.

It's not "tacky" to do anything associated with giving away an item of some value ;-)

If you want the icon, realize that if you activate it, you'll completely lose the icon on adoption. I'm guessing that your notion is

activate, adopt, then use the tracking code to log a discover (you'll have to save that tracking code, because it's not going to appear to you once the item isn't yours).

This seems entirely reasonable to me.

As does leave unactivated, and ask about discovery.

I've left a lot of unactivated trackables in caches (not usually my own, I'm not a fan of FTF premiums). Many will remain unactivated, just FYI.

Thank you for responding! Can I ask why you don't like FTF premiums? Just curious, as I've started listing all my new caches as PO, mostly to help with the constant maintence problems.

Since you're leaving the coin/gift/prize in your own cache you will know when the cache was FTF and assume the coin was taken. At that point you can wait until the coin is activated and discover the coin or send the new owner an email requesting their approval. It's rare that someone who gets a free coin will balk at the original owner wishing to discover it but be prepared for some twisted feelings if they are not sure who you are when you make the discovery. On the other if you activate it and then adopt it away the new owner will know who you are and not get their undies knotted up over you wishing to discover it.

I would make one suggestion if you are going to leave the coin unactivated in the cache....

--- Put a note in the coin sleeve with the activation code or a link to the website to get the activation code and an explanation on how to activate this prize you are giving away. Many new cachers are confused enough about geocoins that should they come across one that is not activated and what they are to do with it throws them into a tailspin of further confusion. Your gift is appreciated all the more if the person understands what just happened and where to go next with it.

Excellent suggestion! I will do that, thanks!